Issues setting up BIND
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Techbart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Issues setting up BIND Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm attempting to setup my own domain hosting along with name server, and am having troubles from the beginning. I've been following this guide "http://gentoo-en.vfose.ru/wiki/HOWTO_Setup_a_DNS_Server_with_BIND", figuring it would be the closest match to my setup, but no matter what I try I seem to be unable to get any further than named-checkconf, returning errors with the syntax or claiming "unknown option" for any line in my zone file. I have tried to keep the zone description as simple as possible, but it's even returning an "unknown option" error for things like "$TTL", "serial", "refresh", etc. As far as I understand, these are all commonly accepted parameters to be used in a zone configuration, most even arguing that "$TTL" is a must have at the beginning of any zone conf file. Sooo er, yeah, any help would be awesome. I'll paste my zone conf below in case there's something glaringly obvious I've overlooked. Cheers.

$TTL 86400
TEST firesky.embers.se
@ IN SOA ns1.firesky-embers.se. admin.firesky-embers.se. (

2014070701 ; serial
12h ; refresh
1h ; retry
2w ; expire
1h ; minimum
)

firesky-embers. IN NS ns1.firesky-embers.se.
IN A 192.168.1.138
mail.firesky.embers. IN MX 10 mail.firesky-embers.se.
firesky-embers. IN MX 10 mail.firesky-embers.se

www IN A 192.168.1.138
mail IN A 192.168.1.138
ns1 IN A 192.168.1.138
druggo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comment the 2nd line:
Code:
;TEST firesky.embers.se

Techbart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually tried doing that. In fact, I tried commenting out any line that was returned as being an "unknown option" error, and have still found that any line that isn't commented out to be returning "unknown option" errors.

I've recently tried to run with the default BIND named.conf layout that came with BIND 9.4, altering only the zone section of named.conf to point to the zone I'm using for master domain, and everything checks out fine now. I'm pretty sure the errors named-checkconf were throwing up were caused by the instructions I followed from "http://gentoo-en.vfose.ru/wiki/HOWTO_Setup_a_DNS_Server_with_BIND", where it asks to use a heavily stripped down named.conf compared to the default supplied by BIND 9.4, as well as create directories and symlinks to /usr/var/ for storing zone files and reverse DNS outside of the default BIND 9.4 directory map.

It has been very confusing overall trying to follow various guides for configuring BIND when there are so many different styles and preferences for setting it up, often depending on the architecture of the systrm it's installed on, and not least of all because guides are often using syntax from older versions of BIND with newer versions...I guess for something like BIND, there's no such thing as "one size fits all" when following guides, and instead the only thing that can be done is to study the official documentation from start to finish.
freke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how my setup seems to work
Code:
$ORIGIN .
$TTL 604800     ; 1 week
vlh.dk                  IN SOA  ns.vlh.dk. root.vlh.dk. (
                                2014000293 ; serial
                                28800      ; refresh (8 hours)
                                14400      ; retry (4 hours)
                                604800     ; expire (1 week)
                                86400      ; minimum (1 day)
                                )
                        NS      ns.vlh.dk.
                        MX      5 mail.vlh.dk.
$ORIGIN vlh.dk.
mysql                   CNAME   ns
ns                      A       10.0.0.253
                        AAAA    2001:470:28:4a6::4
ntp1                    CNAME   ns
ntp3                    A       10.0.0.252
                        AAAA    2001:470:28:4a6::6
rsync                   CNAME   ns
www                     CNAME   ns
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techbart wrote:
I guess for something like BIND, there's no such thing as "one size fits all" when following guides, and instead the only thing that can be done is to study the official documentation from start to finish.
Before you decide to join a BIND monastery, you might try posting your /etc/bind/named.conf (along with any files included therein with the exception of /etc/bind/rndc.key), and the commands you have run with the output they produce, and your zone file, if it has changed from what you have already posted.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: