View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenosas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Problem "entering new environment" via USB Stick Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am trying to install Gentoo using the amd64 2014069 minimal iso, running the installation from a USB stick on which I dropped the iso via Unetbootin. I am following the “Gentoo Linux AMD64 Handbook” provided by www.gentoo.org. My rig has an AMD Athlon II X4 620. I should have gotten the architecture right.

Everything worked great until changing from the installation medium to the installation system (Code Listing 1.5 in the manual). While the commands worked, I ended up with this prompt:
(chroot) livesystem /#.
This had me wondering if the migration had really worked but I decided to move on. Again, everything worked finde until Code Listing 5.7 (Reloading the shell environment): env-update && source /etc/profile, which had the prompt change back to:
livesystem /#

When I tried to (re-)enter the installation system using the three commands outlined in Code Listing 1,5 (chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash; source /etc/profile and export PS1=”(chroot) $PS1”) it didn’t work. I got an error message that the /mnt/gentoo and /bin/bash file did not exist.

Later, I rebooted, only to find that the changes I had made (changing the root password etc.) seemed to not have been saved

My questions are as follows:
1. Is something wrong with my install or is it normal and I just go on and try to complete the installation?
2. a) If something is wrong: What might it be?
b) Are there any solutions?

Help greatly appreciated.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to gentoo.

Yes, amd64 is correct for your processor. If it wasn't it wouldn't have booted. Although, you did take the hard way around. The system rescue CD is a much more friendly instillation medium since it includes a working GUI complete with web browser.

As for your PS1, yes it retains the host system's identification. That is why the handbook recommends using export PS1="(chroot) $PS1" so that you can tell the difference. Unfortunately sourcing /etc/profile restores the original definition of PS1 and hence you loose your identification. PS1 is the variable name for the string on the terminal, by the way. This is why chrooting again failed: you where already in the environment so /mnt/gentoo and /mnt/gentoo/bin/bash don't exist. You can always tell the difference by looking at ls /mnt. If you are in the chroot it won't have an entry labeled gentoo. If it does, you are not in the chroot.

Quote:
Later, I rebooted, only to find that the changes I had made (changing the root password etc.) seemed to not have been saved

Rebooted, as in from the hardware and you got a prompt but couldn't log in? Or rebooted as in back into the live CD? Because the CD isn't going to know anything about your install after rebooting. It doesn't have any persistent memory.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Problem "entering new environment" via USB Sti Reply with quote

Quote:
I am trying to install Gentoo using the amd64 2014069 minimal iso, running the installation from a USB stick on which I dropped the iso via Unetbootin. I am following the “Gentoo Linux AMD64 Handbook” provided by www.gentoo.org. My rig has an AMD Athlon II X4 620. I should have gotten the architecture right. Everything worked great until changing from the installation medium to the installation system (Code Listing 1.5 in the manual). While the commands worked, I ended up with this prompt:
(chroot) livesystem /#.

This is normal
Quote:
This had me wondering if the migration had really worked but I decided to move on. Again, everything worked finde until Code Listing 5.7 (Reloading the shell environment): env-update && source /etc/profile, which had the prompt change back to:
livesystem /#

This is normal
Quote:
When I tried to (re-)enter the installation system using the three commands outlined in Code Listing 1,5 (chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash; source /etc/profile and export PS1=”(chroot) $PS1”) it didn’t work. I got an error message that the /mnt/gentoo and /bin/bash file did not exist. Had you run only
Code:
export PS1=”(chroot) $PS1”
at this point, the prompt would have again shown (chroot) livesystem /#.

You were still in the chroot and /mnt/gentoo/bin/bash did not (does not) exist in the installed gentoo system, also known as the chroot.

Quote:
Later, I rebooted, only to find that the changes I had made (changing the root password etc.) seemed to not have been saved.

I presume you rebooted the minimal install usb. If so the changes made in the chroot (installed gentoo system on the hard drive) would not be apparent until you reentered the chroot.

Quote:
My questions are as follows:
1. Is something wrong with my install or is it normal and I just go on and try to complete the installation?

I think normal. Boot usb, mount gentoo partitions, enter the chroot and continue.
Quote:
2. a) If something is wrong: What might it be?

Don't think it's broken.
Quote:
b) Are there any solutions?

szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to exit your install-in-progress system and go back to the image you're actually running, you don't chroot again. You simply exit. Once you exit chroot, you will be back righ at the point you were before you chrooted. Of course any changes made while chrooted will not be reverted.
lenosas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your insightful replies.

I will try to continue with the installation as is.

@The Doctor:
Quote:

Yes, amd64 is correct for your processor. If it wasn't it wouldn't have booted. Although, you did take the hard way around. The system rescue CD is a much more friendly instillation medium since it includes a working GUI complete with web browser.

Thank you. I did know that, though. My goal is not primarily to have an easily set-up system but one that challenges me and helps increase my understanding. In other words, I am not looking for an easy way but an opportunity to learn. I specifically went for gentoo and the minimal install since it is said to be one of the more challenging - and interesting - ways to set up Linux. ;-)

I will print out your ideas and have them by me when I go for try 2.

One thing I have noticed in the meantime, though is that while my USB stick originally only contained the Gentoo ISO, it now has several folders etc. I was wondering if I did not inadvertently install the system on my USB stick instead of my internal hard disk.

Best
lenosas
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing I have noticed in the meantime, though is that while my USB stick originally only contained the Gentoo ISO, it now has several folders etc. I was wondering if I did not inadvertently install the system on my USB stick instead of my internal hard disk.
The iso produces a directory structure on a usb flash drive or cdrom when extracted and written/burned to the media. So the reported presence of files and directories is normal. Murphy's law may still apply, that can only be determined by examining what files and directories are present.
lenosas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continued installation. Everything went fine until trying to install the systems logger. Neither syslog-ng nor sysklogd got to the point of funcioning. Code Listing 1.1: Installing a Systems logger:
emerge command worked.
However: rc-update add syslog-ng default did not; I got a failure message that the syslogger did not exist.

Configuring a Bootloader did not work either
Code Listing 3.3: INstalling Grub 2
command "grub2-install /dev/sda ----> bash: grub2-install: command not found

Throughout the installation progress, I got a warning that the /proc directory was not mounted.

When I finished the installation and rebooted, i got "Error during loading of OS"

The one thing i did notice that fstab did not recognize my super ata harddisk (on which runs windows) but my empty normal ata HDD.

Any input gretly apprecited.

Especially, I would like to know how to find out possible problem areas and options to to solve them.

Best
lenosas
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The one thing i did notice that fstab did not recognize my super ata harddisk (on which runs windows) but my empty normal ata HDD.
fstab is not a command, but rather a text file, /etc/fstab, that is created by the user to specify what filesystems are to be attached to what partitions.
Quote:
When I finished the installation and rebooted, i got "Error during loading of OS"
Is this verbatim? Or did you get "Error Loading Operating System" from windows? If from windows, it is probable that one or more attempts to install grub or grub2 has overwritten the MBR on the drive you have selected to boot (As grub is designed to do). What windows is installed and do you have a cd for it?
Quote:
Throughout the installation progress, I got a warning that the /proc directory was not mounted.
Suggests that the line "mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc" may not have been run during the return to the chroot before the problems manifested.
Boot the usb, mount the gentoo partitions, run
Code:
fdisk -l | wgetpaste
df -h | wgetpaste
lspci -k | wgetpaste
lsusb | wgetpaste
wgetpaste /proc/cpuinfo
wgetpaste /mnt/gentoo/usr/src/linux/.config
wgetpaste /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab
Post the urls returned.
With the usb booted and the gentoo partitions mounted enter the chroot by running
Code:
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/
#cp -L step only required the first time entering chroot
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
graceful exit:
Code:
exit
cd
umount -l /mnt/gentoo/dev{/shm,/pts,}
umount -l /mnt/gentoo{/boot,/proc,}
You can go into and out of the chroot as often as you wish. The installed systemwill retain all properly made changes.
lenosas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Donahue:
It was not verbatim. Your version is correct.

My system boots fine if i only have the windows-carrying S-ATA disk mounted. If however, both HDs are running, I get the system failure warning.

After mounting the drives and switching the environment using chroot etc., I ran the commands you suggested:
Code:
fdisk .... --->  http://www.bpaste.net/477780
df -h .... ----> http://www.bpaste.net/437783
lspci ....  ---->http://www.bpaste.net/437785
lsusb wgetpaste did not work (command not found)
wgetpast /proc/cpuinfo http://www.bpaste.net/437788
wgetpaste /mnt/gentoo/usr/src/linux/ .config ---> did not work (no such file: /mnt/gentoo/usr/src/linux.config
wgetpaste /mnt/gentoo/etc/fastab ---> did not work (no such file: /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab

Code:

As to your second suggestion, I entered and got respectively:
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/ --> no such directories: /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/

At this point, I stopped, since it seemed to me that there's quite a bit broken here.

I now finally have a amd64minimal install CD an am wondering if I should just re-install the system. Not sure. I would prefer salvaging this install, though.

Best
lenosas
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will learn more by salvaging.
Quote:
My system boots fine if i only have the windows-carrying S-ATA disk mounted. If however, both HDs are running, I get the system failure warning.
I understand this to mean that windows will boot with only the sata disk attached; that neither windows nor gentoo will boot if both drives are attached; that the livecd/usb will boot with either or both HDD's attached. Are these assumptions correct? If so, the probability is that when both are connected bios picks the ata drive as the primary and tries to boot windows from it. BUT-Does your motherboard support uefi and secure boot?
As proof of murphy's law, the pastebin lost your posts. Please repeat: Boot the usb, mount the gentoo partitions, run
Code:
fdisk -l | wgetpaste
df -h | wgetpaste
lspci -k | wgetpaste
wgetpaste /proc/cpuinfo

Post the urls returned, preferably not inside code tags. (outside code tags they are active clickable links) Apparently the minmal install cd does not include usbutils.

Code:
needs to be
Code:
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
or
Code:
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/*
and probably does not need to run if you have had a network connection while in the chroot before.
lenosas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:

Code:
needs to be
Code:
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
or
Code:
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/*
and probably does not need to run if you have had a network connection while in the chroot before.

Hey DONAHUE,

thank you for replying so quickly. Much appreciated.

DONAHUE wrote:

It is decided then. I will try to fix it.

Quote:

I understand this to mean that windows will boot with only the sata disk attached; that neither windows nor gentoo will boot if both drives are attached; that the livecd/usb will boot with either or both HDD's attached. Are these assumptions correct?

You are absolutely correct in your conclusions, sir.
Quote:

If so, the probability is that when both are connected bios picks the ata drive as the primary and tries to boot windows from it. BUT-Does your motherboard support uefi and secure boot?
As proof

Very good point. I will check on that.

Quote:
As proof of murphy's law, the pastebin lost your posts. Please repeat: Boot the usb, mount the gentoo partitions, run
Code:
fdisk -l | wgetpaste
df -h | wgetpaste
lspci -k | wgetpaste
wgetpaste /proc/cpuinfo

Post the urls returned, preferably not inside code tags. (outside code tags they are active clickable links) Apparently the minmal install cd does not include usbutils.

I will.

Thank you again for being so forhtcoming with your insight.

Best
lenosas
lenosas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DONAHUE:

I re-created the links suggested:

fdisk --> [url]http://bpaste.net/show/44864/
[/url]
df -h --> [url]http://bpaste.net/show/442896/
[/url]
lspci --> [url]http://bpaste.net/show/442904/
[/url]
cpuinfo --> http://bpaste.net/show/442908/

urs --> error: no such file or directory in /mnt/gentoo

fstab --> error: no such file in /mnt/gentoo/etc

I did not find either option (uefi and secure boot). I may have overlooked it, though. I was, however, able to switch boot order to that my computer first booted into my gentoo-containing HD and second only into my windows partition one. I got the same error message; the PC then booted into windows.

Kind Regards
lenosas
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summarizing:
fdisk Shows /dev/sda with an msdos disklabel, partitioned for gentoo installation, but having an unnecessary efi grub partition, /dev/sdb with an msdos disklabel single partition presumably for windows xp, /dev/sdc is the liveusb
Quote:
/dev/sda1 ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
/dev/sda2 * 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda4 83 Linux
/dev/sdb1 * 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sdc1 * c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

df -h Shows that the gentoo partitions were not mounted at the time the command was run
lspci -k
cpuinfo
config --> error: no such file or directory in /mnt/gentoo Shows that the gentoo partitions were not mounted at the time the command was run
fstab --> error: no such file in /mnt/gentoo/etc Shows that the gentoo partitions were not mounted at the time the command was run

Suggest disconnecting the sata (windows) drive to protect it and to avoid confusion. Then boot the liveusb and mount the gentoo partitions:
Code:
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/gentoo/boot
then run
Code:
fdisk -l | wgetpaste
df -h | wgetpaste
and paste the url's returned

If you wish to play with the url tag, the trick is including the url in the opening tag and then putting the link identifier between the tags. Example:
Code:
[url=http://bpaste.net/show/442896/]df -h[/url]
Result: df -h Sometimes makes things clearer, sometimes a waste of time.

Last edited by DONAHUE on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
lenosas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear DONAHUE,

thank you very much for your help.

I have been trying to mount the gentoo partitions as you recommended. Neither command worked.
entering
Code:

I got "mount: /dev/sda4 is not a block device (checking, I saw that there is no /dev folder in my root directory)

entering
Code:
mount: /dev/sda2 /mnt/gentoo/boot

I got "mount: mount point does not exist"

Kind Regards
lenosas
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenosas,

The mount point /mnt/gentoo/boot is only available after
Code:
works as boot is on /dev/sda4
If there is no /dev folder, what did you boot?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
lenosas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@NeddySeagoon:

Thank you very much.

I am frankly perplexed that the /dev folder seems absent. I booted from my USB stick containing Gentoo minimal installation iso.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<do not run the chroot command during this>
make a clean fresh reboot of the liveusb,
run
Code:
fdisk -l

look for the entries you had before:
Quote:
Disk /dev/sda: 74.5 GiB, 80026361856 bytes, 156301488 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x33763375

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 2048 6143 2048 ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
/dev/sda2 * 6144 268287 131072 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 268288 270335 1024 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda4 270336 156301487 78015576 83 Linux
if they are present: you have a /dev directory and the ability to mount the gentoo partitions. Continue with
Code:
then run
Code:
fdisk -l | wgetpaste
df -h | wgetpaste
and paste the url's returned.

If the /dev/sda listings are not present in the fdisk -l output, run
Code:
fdisk -l | wgetpaste
ls -al / | wgetpaste
post the url's returned.
lenosas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DONAHUE:

- wgetpaste fdisk: http://bpaste.net/show/448154

- wgetpaste df -h: http://bpaste.net/show/448160

- wgetpaste .config: http://bpaste.net/show/448162

- wgetpaste fstab: http://bpaste.net/show/448165

/dev/sda are listed now. I was also to mount gentoo and gentoo/boot this time. I suspect I had unwittingly not hooked up my linux HD to the power supply (only that time, though; otherwise, it was indeed running.)
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent!
As there is a probability that you were not in the chroot during part of the install where the chroot is required, recommend booting the liveusb to an internet connection, mounting the gentoo partitions, and entering the chroot, nominally:
Code:
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
Then repeating sections 8, 9, and 10 of the gentoo handbook. /etc/fstab needs to be edited to replace the placeholders (ROOT, BOOT, SWAP) in the example with your actual partition names.
Quote:
/dev/sda2 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
/dev/sda4 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0
When at the point where the handbook tells you to reboot suggest running:
Code:
emerge wgetpaste pciutils usbutils wireless-tools iw gentoolkit
to add tools to the system.
I'll take a look at the kernel config in the meantime.
lenosas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you nailed it I think with your suggestion of accidental chroot logout. It happened again. I forget which program it was but it was one that did not return me to the command line, so I typed "exit" since that seemed the most logical way to log out of the program. It logged me out of chroot, though.

8: completed successfully.

9: I was unable to emerge syslog-ng (error message "emake failed" and also something along the lines of "failed install"). Emerging sysklodgd worked.

10:
"emerge sys-boot/grub" --> error: "failed install phase" (or something like that).
Since I was not entirely sure whether it might still have worked (since downloading and unpacking seemed to have succeeded) I continued with "grub2-install /dev/sda" which resulted in another error message: "command not found".

I decided to stop at this point since I was worried about messing up the boot sector of my hard disk by installing more than one bootloader.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing in 9 is required to boot, all those utilities can be installed after your install is booted successfully in its own.
OTOH, 10 is crucial. Not sure what is going on there, but skipping steps will not work. If you get an error you must stop and fix it before moving forward.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the chroot, run:
Code:
emerge wgetpaste pciutils usbutils wireless-tools iw gentoolkit
ls -al /boot | wgetpaste
ls -al /boot/grub | wgetpaste
wgetpaste /boot/grub/grub.cfg
rc-update show | wgetpaste
emerge grub | wgetpaste
wgetpaste /etc/portage/make.conf
lsusb | wgetpaste
lspci -n | wgetpaste
post url's returned
lenosas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- boot : http://bpaste.net/show/450858/

- boot/grub --> error: "no such file" (I checked, there exits no grub folder in boot/

- boot/grub/grub.cf --> "no such file"

- rc-update --> [url]http://bpaste.net/show/450875/

[/url]

- emerge grub | wgetpaste --> no response. cannot go back to the command line (or didn't know how at least) so i had to manually reboot.

- portage --> http://bpaste.net/show/450892/

- lsusb --> http://bpaste.net/show/450893/

- lspci --> http://bpaste.net/show/450894/
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have current proof that emerge is working except for emerge grub. The previous try may have taken too long and been rejected by the pastebin or by you before completion. The following will allow you to see the output while collecting it in a file which then gets pasted. From the chroot, run:
Code:
emerge grub | tee grub.txt
wgetpaste grub.txt
Post the url returned

You do not appear to have networking setup.
Do you intend to use gentoo scripts (section 8 handbook), wicd (gentoo wiki), or networkmanager (gentoo wiki)? The three interfere with each other, the latter two are overly complex if you will not be using wireless networking.
lenosas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bpaste.net/show/452472

I think I did not setup a networking service. Frankly, I found chapter 8 on this somewhat difficult to follow. I do not know the name of my network interface; the booting sequence proceeds to fast for me to notice. Is there a command to call up network information? I have so far entered:
- emerge netifrc
- config_eth0="dhcp"
- emerge dhcpcd

I have cable internet connection (ethernet card).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: