Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is there a video editor that actually works?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgnut57
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Is there a video editor that actually works? Reply with quote

As far as I can see, there are 3 video editors:
1. Kino. Has not been supported for years. Many functions do not work under 64-bit (crashes when you try to create transitions and titles)
2. Cinelerra. I have not been able to use this for more than about 10 seconds before it crashes. It also complains that I need to run "echo "0x7ffffff">/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax" even if I have already done this.
3. Kdenlive. I can import a clip, but the clips don't play. Seems to crash a lot also.

Perhaps it is the format of the video that is problematic. I am starting from AVHCD files from a Sony camera.

What is the solution?

For kdenlive, I get the following (why is it looking at my samba config files):
kdenlive
QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action
kdenlive(30036)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
simon@newhome ~ $ kdenlive
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/WDC_WD10_EADS_00L5B1_WDC_WD10EA_WD_WCAU49233370" : property "Drive" does not exist
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/TSSTcorp_CDDVDW_SH_S203N_TSSTcorp_CDDVDW_SH_S203N" : property "Drive" does not exist
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/ST3500630AS_9QG0CR3K" : property "Drive" does not exist
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/ST3500630AS_9QG0CR3K" : property "DeviceNumber" does not exist
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/ST3500630AS_9QG0CR3K" : property "Device" does not exist
kdenlive(30062)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers: KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "ThumbCreator" not found
kdenlive(30062)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers: KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "ThumbCreator" not found
kdenlive(30062) KSambaSharePrivate::testparmParamValue: We got some errors while running testparm "Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
Loaded services file OK.
ERROR: both 'wins support = true' and 'wins server = <server list>' cannot be set in the smb.conf file. nmbd will abort with this setting.
Warning: Service HP defines a print command, but rameter is ignored when using CUPS libraries.
"
link XMLID_45_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_41_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_39_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_37_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_35_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_33_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_30_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_28_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_26_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_24_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_21_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_19_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_17_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_15_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_13_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_11_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_9_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_7_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_5_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_3_ hasn't been detected!
kdenlive(30062)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed: "No such object path '/modules/ktimezoned'"

kdenlive(30062)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): No time zone information obtained from ktimezoned
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/WDC_WD10_EADS_00L5B1_WDC_WD10EA_WD_WCAU49233370" : property "DeviceNumber" does not exist
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/WDC_WD10_EADS_00L5B1_WDC_WD10EA_WD_WCAU49233370" : property "Device" does not exist
kdenlive(30062) Render::checkMaxThreads: // TRACTOR PROBLEM
kdenlive(30062)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
kdenlive(30062): Couldn't start knotify from knotify4.desktop: "Could not find service 'knotify4.desktop'."

kdenlive(30062)/kdeui (KNotification) KNotification::slotReceivedIdError: Error while contacting notify daemon "The name org.kde.knotify was not provided by any .service files"
white_tiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An editor I have used in the past that supported AVCHD in a way was Openshot. A nice easy editor but the problem was that exporting the file took a long, long time. Not because it is a bad editor, nor that my system (i7) is slow, but manly because of the fact that most parts of the AVCHD codec is patented, which prevents that that software can use it without paying a fee for it. So purely due to legal, not technical reasons most free editors don't support the codec. The free editors that do so, don't use the codec but work around it, that is why they take a long time exporting the format.

So if you want to use AVCHD you can use Openshot for instance, importing the file is no problem also editing is no problem. Just dont export it in the same format is you dont want to wait several hours for a 5 minute clip.

Best option is to translate the AVCHD to another open or at least a supported format, this can be don with ffmpeg for instance.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out about this one today, no idea how well it works: https://trac.videolan.org/vlmc/

Ebuild is in our multimedia overlay: https://gitorious.org/gentoo-multimedia/gentoo-multimedia/source/e23f70aec836096f99c9fa3e7f000a3b11978ae5:media-video
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VLMC is terrible. VLMC hasn't been updated or touched in years. It's what you can expect from a project that no one wanted to touch for years(crap). I tried it because VLC is the only Linux app I can find that has working VAAPI support, so I had hopes that this would as well, but not at all. Not only does VLMC have no VAAPI support, but it cannot import from basic formats like AVCHD that VLC itself can play back fine(with VAAPI no less!

avidemux is the only usable software for video editing on linux. openshot and kdenlive have highly confusing interfaces for the most basic tasks, crashing issues, crappy hardware acceleration. avidemux is simple. Move back and forth with left, right, up or down. Flag areas to remove or add to, encoding options are all where you can see them, as are filters. avidemux is the only one that is even close to making sense,and working. it doesn't have intel GPU hardware acceleration, but it has nvidia VDPAU acceleration, which is as much as you're going to get on linux. It works out of the box, no messing around, the way life is supposed to be. :)

avidemux allows for a lot of the things I wish I could do in windows movie maker, such as on the fly editing without prior transcoding, choices in output codecs, choices in output filters. it's good stuff.

Once you use avidemux, you will see all of the alternatives for the half baked, half working, cluttered messes they are. It's a night and day difference!
erg_samowzbudnik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: lightworks maybe? Reply with quote

There is also lightworks (lwks)

I haven't managed to run it yet but I've heard good opinions. May want to give it a shot.
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: lightworks maybe? Reply with quote

erg_samowzbudnik wrote:
There is also lightworks (lwks)

I haven't managed to run it yet but I've heard good opinions. May want to give it a shot.

lightworks is a mess on gentoo, http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=21&id=46747&Itemid=81

I'm still trying to find a working ebuild, most of them are borked in some way. Do you have a suggestion for one?
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is pitivi and option ?

http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-video/pitivi

alternatively liVES

http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-video/lives

other options (not sure if in portage):

http://xmodulo.com/2014/03/good-video-editing-software-linux.html

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitivi crashes the second you import a video. See this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-973682.html

I will try the others you suggested!

I've been researching this hard for the past two weeks. It seems there is a LOT of anecdotal experience/recommendations,but the people who actually use these pieces of software are the ones posting how none of it actually works.

I am incredibly surprised at how many of these programs make use of the vaapi useflag without actually supporting VAAPI. It's such a troll. :(
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok just tried lives and it crashes immediately upon loading a video. Tossing that into the useless pile. :)
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that's discouraging :? - hopefully you'll find one that works :)

thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I can safely say it doesn't exist.

The only hope is that avidemux will eventually allow people to register on their forums again so I can beg them to add VAAPI support to their sotwtare in exchange for a generous donation.

I've chosen to go back to my old classic thinkpad with the quadro and to use that for everything.. what a shame, because the quadro is actually slower than the hd4600 in this newer laptop. :(
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I used this command line here

Code:
ffmpeg -i your_clip.MTS -vcodec copy -acodec copy -sn test.mp4

To import video into pitivi. It plays back with VAAPI hardware acceleration. Hallelujah!! I tried using that same mp4 in kdenlive, openshot, but they jitter and use 3x as much CPU as anything else just to play the sample, so they are worthless.

The problem? Confusion... this program is nuts compared to avidemux. If I double click the clip, it plays a preview of the clip fine with hardware acceleration. Yet, if I hit play on the regular screen I get nothing, it doesn't play at all. I know i has the ability to play because if I double click the clip it opens in a preview window and plays it!. I can't figure out how to use the playhead or how to actually split tracks even while following the instructions.

None of the instructions here actually work.http://www.pitivi.org/manual/movearoundtimeline.html No playhead, no scrubbing, etc.
schorsch_76
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you, that kdenlive did always work for me as i did use it on debian.

As you did notice vaapi i think it is a problematic configuration you did compile. Since nearly all well known video applications crash at your machine, it is most probably a problem there.

- Do you use to aggressive optimization settings?
- Did you try to disapble VAAPI for kdenlive?
- Did you use classical CFLAGS (CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe") for Kdenlive?

Forther options to keep in mind:
- Is your RAM good?
- Do you have temperature problems in your case?
- Did you run a stresstest on your machine?
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schorsch_76 wrote:
I can tell you, that kdenlive did always work for me as i did use it on debian.

As you did notice vaapi i think it is a problematic configuration you did compile. Since nearly all well known video applications crash at your machine, it is most probably a problem there.

- Do you use to aggressive optimization settings?
- Did you try to disapble VAAPI for kdenlive?
- Did you use classical CFLAGS (CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe") for Kdenlive?

Forther options to keep in mind:
- Is your RAM good?
- Do you have temperature problems in your case?
- Did you run a stresstest on your machine?

only pitivi crashed, which was solved by not loading avchd directly without transcoding. kdenlive does not crash, nor does openshot - they just use 155-200% CPU to decode the same clip that mplayer can decode using 60%. I tried disabling VAAPI for kdenlive and it works the same as when kdenlive is compiled with vaapi.

This computer can run prime95 for 24 hours, and memtest for eight passes. It's not hardware, it's software.

kdenlive does work, it just works terribly due to lack of hardware acceleration. If I ask it to play a low resolution clip it works just fine. There doesn't seem to be any option related to VAAPI in its configuration, I wish there wee so I could enable it. It has working functions, the ones that I cannot get to work in pitivi - but it is useless for editing because video skips terribly. Pitivi can playback 20 mbps 1080p video using 10% CPU and it works great, but none of the tools work.

If there were a way to combine kdenlive and pitivi into one I'd have one good video editor. :lol:
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thender wrote:

only pitivi crashed, which was solved by not loading avchd directly without transcoding.

It has working functions, the ones that I cannot get to work in pitivi - but it is useless for editing because video skips terribly. Pitivi can playback 20 mbps 1080p video using 10% CPU and it works great, but none of the tools work.

If there were a way to combine kdenlive and pitivi into one I'd have one good video editor. :lol:

Did you use pitivi-0.93 with an up to date gstreamer stack?

AVCHD is that terrible MPEG-TS based thing. Those got many fixes recently, mostly to properly seek and such. I believe they will feature in upcoming gstreamer 1.4 stable, probably out within a week from now.

http://fundraiser.pitivi.org/blog/2014/06/23/june-development-update/

So hopefully you can use it for that AVCHD stuff later this month :)
And after that if any crashes and stuff remain, I will want bug report links :) Just right now most of that AVCHD related stuff was probably known and fixed up in development versions.
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
thender wrote:

only pitivi crashed, which was solved by not loading avchd directly without transcoding.

It has working functions, the ones that I cannot get to work in pitivi - but it is useless for editing because video skips terribly. Pitivi can playback 20 mbps 1080p video using 10% CPU and it works great, but none of the tools work.

Did you use pitivi-0.93 with an up to date gstreamer stack?

AVCHD is that terrible MPEG-TS based thing. Those got many fixes recently, mostly to properly seek and such. I believe they will feature in upcoming gstreamer 1.4 stable, probably out within a week from now.

http://fundraiser.pitivi.org/blog/2014/06/23/june-development-update/

So hopefully you can use it for that AVCHD stuff later this month :)
And after that if any crashes and stuff remain, I will want bug report links :) Just right now most of that AVCHD related stuff was probably known and fixed up in development versions.

The second this works and I can use it I'll happily toss $200 into the fundraiser. There are literally zero working AVCHD video editors in linux that support Intel iGPU hardware accelerated decoding so I am very happy to see that happening, as most all consumer camcorders use AVCHD. I'd report bugs but, as shameful as it is to admit, I just went back to avidemux so I could get work done without it. I don't need the hardware acceleration until I get a better camera, this laptop does it with 70% CPU. The old one with nvidia chip went over 200% CPU and lagged like crazy, so it used to be necessary.

I emerged the latest gstreamer & gstreamer plugins, so I imagine it's up to date. I use the ~amd64 branch, not stable.

Thanks for the input!!!
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thender wrote:

I emerged the latest gstreamer & gstreamer plugins, so I imagine it's up to date. I use the ~amd64 branch, not stable.

Those improvements should appear in version 1.4.0 as far as stable release cycle goes. It's currently at release candidate 1.3.90, and so it isn't in Gentoo yet until the final 1.4.0 is out. The RC was out on 29th June and usually it'd be a week from that for the final, unless another RC is deemed necessary first. So any day now - and at that point bug reports would be useful when testing 1.4.0, so any necessary fixes could hopefully be made for a 1.4.1 bug fix release, etc :)
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're feeling adventurous, check out Gentoo Studio and use the stage 4 installer method. It contains working versions of Cinelerra, KDEnlive, OpenShot and LiVES.

Of course, you do need to have decent hardware, but if you do, let me know if this works for you should you try it out. Maybe wait a couple of days because I'm about to upload July's tarball and announce this month's changes.
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated my system and kept this in mind. Here's what happens when I try to start pitivi. :(

Code:
# pitivi
Missing soft dependency:
- pycanberra not found on the system
    -> enables sound notifications when rendering is complete
ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for GnomeDesktop
Missing soft dependency:
- GnomeDesktop not found on the system
    -> file thumbnails provided by GNOME's thumbnailers

(pitivi:21504): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_loadable_icon_load: assertion 'G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pitivi", line 137, in <module>
    _run_pitivi()
  File "/usr/bin/pitivi", line 124, in _run_pitivi
    sys.exit(ptv.main(sys.argv))
  File "/usr/lib64/pitivi/python/pitivi/application.py", line 416, in main
    ptv = StartupWizardGuiPitivi(debug=options.debug)
  File "/usr/lib64/pitivi/python/pitivi/application.py", line 361, in __init__
    GuiPitivi.__init__(self, debug)
  File "/usr/lib64/pitivi/python/pitivi/application.py", line 268, in __init__
    self._showGui()
  File "/usr/lib64/pitivi/python/pitivi/application.py", line 368, in _showGui
    GuiPitivi._showGui(self)
  File "/usr/lib64/pitivi/python/pitivi/application.py", line 283, in _showGui
    self.gui = self._createGui()
  File "/usr/lib64/pitivi/python/pitivi/application.py", line 365, in _createGui
    return PitiviMainWindow(self)
  File "/usr/lib64/pitivi/python/pitivi/mainwindow.py", line 178, in __init__
    self._createUi()
  File "/usr/lib64/pitivi/python/pitivi/mainwindow.py", line 374, in _createUi
    self.trans_list = TransitionsListWidget(self.app, self.uimanager)
  File "/usr/lib64/pitivi/python/pitivi/transitions.py", line 57, in __init__
    self._question_icon = icon_theme.load_icon("dialog-question", 48, 0)
gi._glib.GError: Failed to load icon

Any ideas?
Schnulli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avidemux works here since over a year perfectly, just one thing, you need to run some libs slotted and its working pretty fine without any trouble and create a working package.mask for some higher rel. ;)
ask and i will post it here

indeed there need to be updated alot of the old good programms, cinelerra was my favour, i will give it a try and report than, but not on my productive system. I guess as well you need to run some libs slotted

regards
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I ever got to work was avidemux, but I only needed it for some very basic stuff, which it did nicely and without having to learn much.

I have also got Microsoft Windows Movie Maker to work from VirtualBox Windows XP [ducks and runs]
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of these editors BESIDES avidemux have vdpau? Anything with hardware acceleration?

avidemux is ok for basic cutting, but anything else and it becomes useless quickly. I don't mind paying for something that isn't half baked. I like openshot & kdenlive but there's no vdpau so it's useless for real video editing. Can't edit stuttering video.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thender wrote:
I updated my system and kept this in mind. Here's what happens when I try to start pitivi. :(

Code:

self._question_icon = icon_theme.load_icon("dialog-question", 48, 0)
gi._glib.GError: Failed to load icon

Any ideas?

I'm not sure why it's fatal. It really shouldn't be. But install gnome-icon-theme. This is https://bugs.gentoo.org/519546
Note that I've failed to provide gstreamer 1.4 with the AVCHD improvements in the main tree yet, but soon now...
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm Runs well in stable WINE. Actually runs faster in WINE than on real Windows (superior Linux file system?).
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

throwing in shotcut:

http://shotcutapp.blogspot.co.at/2014/09/compositing-improvements.html

it uses http://www.mltframework.org/ which seems to support vdpau (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mlt-git/)

concerning your prerequisites:

" Shotcut liest Videos im AVCHD- und DV-Format und unterstützt HD-Videos."

translated:

"Shotcut reads Videos in AVCHD- and DV-Format and support HD-Videos"

(source: http://www.heise.de/download/shotcut-1193004.html )

when looking for a commercial alternative, there's also lightworks: http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_lwks&view=download&Itemid=206&tab=1 which supports vdpau/cuda, etc.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: