View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cellmate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Desktop stalls?! Reply with quote

Hi,

I use OpenSUSE and Gentoo in parallel, and I have observed problems with Gentoo which are absent with OpenSUSE.

KDE stalls for unknown reasons, but apparently most of the time when a program starts to scan devices in order to open a file dialog.

I have removed everything that looks like a potentially problematic USB device, but the problem persists no matter what devices are connected.

I use the current gentoo-sources kernel, compiled with Gentoo specific extensions and most of the config copied from OpenSUSE.

Gentoo linux is unusable in this form, because sometimes these freezes never end or last a significant amount of time. Really no idea what I can do about that. Any hints?
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you used tools such as iotop and top. In case an application hogs up I/O or the CPU you'll notice, I hope. Be sure to have each of these visible plus a continuous live stream from /var/log/messages. That's how I'd hunt the problem down. Also maybe your computer is still responsive through a remote console session, might be worth trying.

(IIRC I had such issues too but I think they date back to the days the ATI open source driver was still a little unstable. Never experienced this issue in years though.)
Cellmate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
I suggest you used tools such as iotop and top. In case an application hogs up I/O or the CPU you'll notice, I hope. Be sure to have each of these visible plus a continuous live stream from /var/log/messages. That's how I'd hunt the problem down. Also maybe your computer is still responsive through a remote console session, might be worth trying.

You can continue working on a TTY console, no problem. But you cannot reboot, because someone blocks some resources. As far as I have seen, someone is waiting for a message that comes late (by timeout) or never. There is no I/O or load in this time, and I suspect DBUS, because KDE had a long time history of issues with that. The question would be: Why with Gentoo and not with OpenSUSE?

VinzC wrote:
(IIRC I had such issues too but I think they date back to the days the ATI open source driver was still a little unstable. Never experienced this issue in years though.)

Maybe OpenSUSE has patched some drivers to work properly, and Gentoo did not. But I have no idea which to blame.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the two installs share home directories? If not I suggest both desktops from the other operating system to see if it is repeatable. That should help narrow the problem space to either the instillation or configuration. If it is configuration I suggest looking at the differences in the semantic desktop configurations.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Cellmate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Do the two installs share home directories? If not I suggest both desktops from the other operating system to see if it is repeatable. That should help narrow the problem space to either the instillation or configuration. If it is configuration I suggest looking at the differences in the semantic desktop configurations.

I have always moved away all dot files before booting the other OS. Manually. :oops:
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the computer still seems responsive have you tried pressing Alt+SysRq+K to kill X and gain control back ?
Cellmate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
Since the computer still seems responsive have you tried pressing Alt+SysRq+K to kill X and gain control back ?

I will try, but AFAIR last time I tried killing the X server led to more and more hanging processes and more and more bound resources. In this state, you can't do much with GUI, I'm afraid. :x
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: