View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fragment
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: KDE4 Plasma on Hardened Gentoo Reply with quote

I switched profile to hardened, rebuilt gcc, glibc and binutils, loaded hardened kernel with grsecurity/PaX options and after these steps plasma-desktop process segfaulting when start. I rebuilt plasma-workspace, plasma-runtime and plasma-apps. Now plasma-desktop can't start thereby:

Code:

QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
plasma-desktop(786)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible: unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
plasma-desktop(786)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible: unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
plasma-desktop(785): Communication problem with  "plasma-desktop" , it probably crashed.
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

If PaX option "CONFIG_PAX_MPROTECT" is disabled plasma-desktop (and KDE whole) starts and works normally, but I wouldn't to disable one.

emerge --info (kernel is a host kernel, hardened from chroot)
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that KDE can't be used as a DE on Gentoo Hardened but I may have misunderstood.
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for entries in /var/log/messages. Maybe you find there what grSecurity subsystem killed the process, and why.

I have a "semi-hardened" desktop with KDE. MPROTECT is off because otherwise I would need to pax-mark every program which uses 3d graphics (nvidia-drivers for games). This would be too much work. But plasma-desktop works with 3D in this setup, compiled by hardened toolchain.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: