Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Any USE flag depend on each other?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jryu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Any USE flag depend on each other? Reply with quote

I've just read handbook about USE flags. Should worry about dependency when adding or removing USE flags in make.conf?

Last edited by jryu on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is, "No, you shouldn't worry." USE flags do not depend on each other. However, one package, when built with a particular set of USE flags in effect, may depend on another package being built with other USE flags in effect. Portage will tell you about these and make suggestions as to which USE flags need to be changed.

- John
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Any USE flag depend on each other? Reply with quote

jryu wrote:
I've just read handbook about USE flags. Should worry about dependency when adding or removing USE flags in make.conf?

jryu ... no, not really, you will be warned if certain useflags are required. That said, users first coming to gentoo tend to over do useflags because they think that they need to spend the first week or so figuring out what useflags should be in make.conf and worrying if they have them right or not. Generally the profile takes care of most useflags and you really only need to define those which you explicitly want enabled/disabled. I think I only have ten or so useflags in make.conf and these are just those I want defined globally. Then I use package.use to fine grain those useflags for specific packages.

So, for example make.conf might contain:

Code:
USE="acpi alsa caps mmx sse2 ssl -cups -gpm -introspection -ipv6 -ldap -nls -pppd"

... this covers enabling/disabling useflags that are not covered by the profile.

The we might have the following in package.use

Code:
app-editors/vim X -minimal -ruby -gpm
app-portage/layman bazaar git mercurial subversion
media-gfx/feh curl
media-sound/abcde flac replaygain vorbis -lame
media-video/ffmpeg aac cdio libass network theora threads vorbis vpx x264 -3dnow -3dnowext
media-video/mpv bs2b encode quvi

... these enable/disable only those useflags that are not covered by the profile and make.conf

The best thing to do at first is to not worry too much and check the output of '--pretend --verbose' before an emerge and adjust the useflags to whatever you think makes sense, you can always enable/disable a useflag and run 'emerge --newuse @world' if you need to apply/remove something. If there is something missing when installing and its needed portage will inform you.

HTH & best ... khay
jryu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and khay, I appreciate your replies. It's much more informative than I expected!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: