Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLEVED] Xfce "Switch User" greyed out in Action Panel ....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: [SOLEVED] Xfce "Switch User" greyed out in Action Reply with quote

I newly installed Gentoo with Xfce Desktop in VirtualBox. I also use OpenSuse 13.1 with Xfce Desktop in VirtualBox.

With OpenSuse the Xfce "Switch User" Action Panel pull-down Menu item is enabled as default out of the box. This allows me to start and run several user session at the same time. Whereas with Gentoo Xfce the "Switch User" Action Menu item is greyed out and disabled.

How can I enable this the "Switch User" Action Menu item?

I could not find any working solution by searching the net.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by C5ace on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Switch User" needs gdmflexiserver and gdmflexiserver is provided by GDM (gnome-base/gdm), so that means using GDM with all of it's GNOME dependencies as the graphical login manager
gdmflexiserver is also provided by LightDM (x11-misc/lightdm) but it's a bit different and installs to different directory, so it propably won't work
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
"Switch User" needs gdmflexiserver and gdmflexiserver is provided by GDM (gnome-base/gdm), so that means using GDM with all of it's GNOME dependencies as the graphical login manager
gdmflexiserver is also provided by LightDM (x11-misc/lightdm) but it's a bit different and installs to different directory, so it propably won't work

Thanks.

Tried to install GDM and messed it up. Will do a fresh install on a new virtual disk.

Do I have to use the "desktop gnome" profile, or plain "desktop" profile for an Xfce desktop?

Are there any specific USE FLAGS to set in make.conf other than USE="-kde -gnome -qt gtk samba"?

Are there any "rc-update add ......." to run other than those during the basic install according to the handbook?
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5ace wrote:
ssuominen wrote:

Thanks.

Tried to install GDM and messed it up. Will do a fresh install on a new virtual disk.

Do I have to use the "desktop gnome" profile, or plain "desktop" profile for an Xfce desktop?

Are there any specific USE FLAGS to set in make.conf other than USE="-kde -gnome -qt gtk samba"?

Are there any "rc-update add ......." to run other than those during the basic install according to the handbook?

We specifically decided not to have own profiles for Xfce because they are unnecessary, Xfce as a plain GTK+ desktop has perfectly good defaults in the default 'desktop' profile
Of course you can run Xfce also on the 'desktop/gnome' profile, but it will enable all kinds of GNOME specific flags Xfce has no use for

For Xfce you should add at least 'consolekit' and 'dbus' to the 'default' runlevel, so 'rc-update add consolekit default' and so forth
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
C5ace wrote:
ssuominen wrote:

Thanks.

We specifically decided not to have own profiles for Xfce because they are unnecessary, Xfce as a plain GTK+ desktop has perfectly good defaults in the default 'desktop' profile
Of course you can run Xfce also on the 'desktop/gnome' profile, but it will enable all kinds of GNOME specific flags Xfce has no use for

For Xfce you should add at least 'consolekit' and 'dbus' to the 'default' runlevel, so 'rc-update add consolekit default' and so forth

I removed Slim and after boot log in from tty1 and run 'startx' or "startxfce4". On Virtualbox use the "Menu Key + F1" This brings up Xfce on tty7. To switch user, do "Ctlr Alt F2" and log in as the second user and run "startx" or "startxfce4". On Virtualbox use the "Menu Key + F2" This brings up Xfce user 2 on tty8. This should work up to tty6/F6 to brings up Xfce user 6 on tty12.

To switch between users, just do "Ctrl Alt F?" or on VirtualVox "Menu Key + F?".

To log out Xfce user 4 (example) just do log out. This will bring you back to the tty4. Then log out again from tty4.

It should be possible to write a bash script that automatically runs on logging in on say tty4, calls startxfce4 and when logging out (exiting) from Xfce to logging out from the tty4. Maybe one day I can figure out how to write such script.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: