Gentoo 1.4 question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Gentoo 1.4 question Reply with quote

I'm not sure whether this would go to newbies or here, but since I have successfully installed 1.2 in the past and this forum gets more activity, I'm putting it here.

Anywho, there is a 1.4 tarball available as you may or may not be aware. Is there a way I can install this without having a currently existing Linux installation? Right now I just have Win2K pro.

Second of all, also about 1.4, I know this tarball is going to be the final release, but it seems to have the same kernel as what I remember being available in 1.2, which is 2.4.19r7, which was based off a .18 kernel with some .19 and gentoo specific optimizations. Is this going to be the kernel in the final release (the pre-.19 one), or will there be an updated one with 2.4.19 final + gentoo optimizations? Or maybe 2.4.19 + .20 optimizations/features + gentoo optimizations?

Thanks for any help provided!

Chris
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo 1.4 question Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Other things Gentoo.

Chris Hickman wrote:
this forum gets more activity, I'm putting it here.
This is not why something should be posted in a forum. Read the forum description and try to match topic to forum.

Also, try a search. There are several 1.4 threads that should answer your question (or at least duplicate it).

Locking.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris asked me which 1.4 threads I was referring to. Though I could have sworn there were some, I was unable to find any.

Unlocking and moving back to Install. Apologies to Chris for any delay this has caused.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I burned a gentoo1.3b iso on cd, booted up with the cd configured my ethernetcard and internet connection (modprobe ethernetcard module and a dhcpcd eth0, was all I needed). Did a wget for the 1.4 bz2 and followed the install instructions for the 1.2 install on the gentoo site using the 1.4 bz2 instead of the stage 1 bz2 provided on cd. Worked for me.
Sequentious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using my 1.1a cd (the small one) to build 1.2 systems, and just used it last night to build 1.4 on my desktop. Works fine. I've heard you can also use something like Tom's Root Boot disk.

What i did was in the instructions when it tells you to mount the cdrom, replace that with "wget http://whatever.com/path/to/gentoo-1.4-tarball" and download it to your new gentoo root partition. then extract it to the same place (you dont have to worry about extracting to the same directory, all will work fine).
roderickvd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anywho, there is a 1.4 tarball available as you may or may not be aware. Is there a way I can install this without having a currently existing Linux installation? Right now I just have Win2K pro.

You can follow the standard installation instructions. Just be sure to unpack the 1.4 tarball.

Quote:
Second of all, also about 1.4, I know this tarball is going to be the final release, but it seems to have the same kernel as what I remember being available in 1.2, which is 2.4.19r7, which was based off a .18 kernel with some .19 and gentoo specific optimizations. Is this going to be the kernel in the final release (the pre-.19 one), or will there be an updated one with 2.4.19 final + gentoo optimizations? Or maybe 2.4.19 + .20 optimizations/features + gentoo optimizations?

There is a 2.4.19-r8 ebuild in the Portage tree right now, but it's still masked for testing. I'm sure it will be out soon, and included in the 1.4 release.
Sequentious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The masked gentoo-sources is working fine for me.
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sequentious wrote:

Ditto. But those using XFS will have trouble with -r8... It doesn't include the XFS patch.
Sequentious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craftyc wrote:
Sequentious wrote:

Ditto. But those using XFS will have trouble with -r8... It doesn't include the XFS patch.
Thats worth noting, thanks for pointing that out
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roderickvd wrote:
Quote:

You can follow the standard installation instructions. Just be sure to unpack the 1.4 tarball.

Quote:

There is a 2.4.19-r8 ebuild in the Portage tree right now, but it's still masked for testing. I'm sure it will be out soon, and included in the 1.4 release.

Hmmm...is the 2.4.19-r8 based off the pre-2.4.19 source as before, or is this now based off of the 2.4.19 final?

I'm not sure I was clear on the install question. I'm used to installing Gentoo with an .iso. The computer boots from CD and I start the install. It doesn't work this way with a tarball on the CD. Is there away to install Gentoo from the tarball, having nothing else on my system than a Windows 2000 installation?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Hickman wrote:
Hmmm...is the 2.4.19-r8 based off the pre-2.4.19 source as before, or is this now based off of the 2.4.19 final?

-r8 is based off vanilla 2.4.19.

Quote:
I'm not sure I was clear on the install question. I'm used to installing Gentoo with an .iso. The computer boots from CD and I start the install. It doesn't work this way with a tarball on the CD. Is there away to install Gentoo from the tarball, having nothing else on my system than a Windows 2000 installation?

Can you boot from the install CD, either download the 1.4 tarball from there, or mount a filesystem where you've saved it, and unpack it from there?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: