[SOLVED] Lenovo T440p, middle button scroll with trackpoint
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Lenovo T440p, middle button scroll with trackpoint Reply with quote

So if you have one of the newer Lenovo Thinkpad like the t440p, t540p, there are no dedicated trackpoint buttons. They're all part of the trackpad.

Through a lot of miserable configuring, you can get left, right and middle click to work on it, but no trackpoint scroll. You used to be able to hold the middle wheel down, and scroll up/down/left/right with the trackpoint nub, but that is not possible. This patch supposedly fixes that.

There are these patches I see from arch https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-input-evdev-trackpoint/

I downloaded them and made my own overlay, then copied over x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev and x11-drivers/x11-input-synaptics to it. I copied those three patches to the overlay of my packages and edited the ebuild file to use them.

I can only get xf86-input-synaptics to compile with 0004-disable-clickpad_guess_clickfingers.patch. 0001-implement-trackpoint-wheel-emulation.patch and 0006-add-synatics-files-into-Makefile.am.patch do not work with evdev or synaptics, I get this trying to emerge evdev from my overlay.

http://bpaste.net/show/359688/

I am at my wits end here, what can I do to get middle mouse scroll on my t440p? What can I do to make these arch patches work?

Thank you!

Last edited by thender on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, for the heck of it, I tried following the pkgbuild file and patching xf86-input-evdev and compiling it from source outside portage. I know, bad idea, but I was getting my ass kicked trying to modify the ebuild.

I copied the files over from xf86-input-synaptics to xf86-input-evdev, patched xf86-input-evdev accordingly, ran ./autogen.sh, make, make install.

I get nothing. It is as if I have not even installed evdev. :(

On my system, if evdev is not installed, you cannot type at the slim login screen - it just freezes altogether. This is the behavior that occurs when evdev is compiled & installed from source on my system.

Any ideas? I tried the ebuild, I tried source.. I'm out of ideas. :(
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I GOT IT! Scrolling works. The problem was that when you compile evdev it puts it into /usr/local instead of /usr/lib, so I had to set the prefix directory. iamben in IRC helped me from 11 PM, 2 AM, 3 AM, and today with this. He is beyond patient, and a god among men. :)

If you have a T440P and want your trackpad to work without it moving when you click, and you want your trackpoint scroll, HERE IS HOW YOU DO IT.

Disclaimer - I am well aware that I should be doing this with an ebuild and not compiling from source. I am also well aware that I am a complete Linux newb, I am not a developer, just a clueless end user. However, in the lack of ANY documentation of how to get the t440p trackpad working properly with Gentoo on the internet, I figure this is a step in the right direction - FEEL FREE TO STEP ON THESE INSTRUCTIONS AND CREATE BETTER ONES!

Step one - download my package where I have copied over the files from the proper version of xf86-input-synaptics for you and applied all of the patches.

http://www.rossmanngroup.com/gentoostuff/t440p-working-trackpoint-middle-wheel-scroll.tar.gz

You are supposed to download xf86-input-evdev-2.9.0, copy over some files from xf86-input-synaptics-1.8.0, run patches on evdev, compile and install evdev. I have saved you the first three steps by copying the files over & patching them and putting it all into this one tar.gz.

Step two - remove portage's xf86-input-evdev from your system, and emerge xf86-input-synaptics.

Code:
nano -w /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
ADD THIS LINE TO THE FILE to get synaptics 1.8.0
=x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.8.0 ~amd64
then ctrl-X, y, to save it

emerge -C xf86-input-evdev
emerge xf86-input-synaptics

Step three - compile this version and install it.

Code:

wget http://www.rossmanngroup.com/gentoostuff/t440p-working-trackpoint-middle-wheel-scroll.tar.gz
tar xvf t440p-working-trackpoint-middle-wheel-scroll.tar.gz
cd xf86-input-evdev-2.9.0
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make check
make install
make clean
make distclean

Step four - copy over xorg.conf.d files so your middle button works, and so your trackpad doesn't go haywire

The default configuration for this trackpad is bunk. For example, when you go to click the left or right button, THE TRACKPAD MOVES!!! What kind of horse radish is that?

Code:
cp 99-synaptics.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

and also, you obviously want to be able to SCROLL with your middle mouse button & trackpoint nub, so you need this.

Code:
cp 90-evdev-trackpoint.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

Restart X and enjoy your thinkpad. The trackpad will use synaptics, the trackpoint thingie and the middle button will work with evdev, and you will stop cursing about how you are going back to your T61 with CCFL screen and slow old processor and enjoy the new technology. :) I know I am happy that I am not stuck on my Lenovo T520 for live!
causes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thender wrote:
I GOT IT! Scrolling works. The problem was that when you compile evdev it puts it into /usr/local instead of /usr/lib, so I had to set the prefix directory. iamben in IRC helped me from 11 PM, 2 AM, 3 AM, and today with this. He is beyond patient, and a god among men. :)

If you have a T440P and want your trackpad to work without it moving when you click, and you want your trackpoint scroll, HERE IS HOW YOU DO IT.

Disclaimer - I am well aware that I should be doing this with an ebuild and not compiling from source. I am also well aware that I am a complete Linux newb, I am not a developer, just a clueless end user. However, in the lack of ANY documentation of how to get the t440p trackpad working properly with Gentoo on the internet, I figure this is a step in the right direction - FEEL FREE TO STEP ON THESE INSTRUCTIONS AND CREATE BETTER ONES!

Step one - download my package where I have copied over the files from the proper version of xf86-input-synaptics for you and applied all of the patches.

http://www.rossmanngroup.com/gentoostuff/t440p-working-trackpoint-middle-wheel-scroll.tar.gz

You are supposed to download xf86-input-evdev-2.9.0, copy over some files from xf86-input-synaptics-1.8.0, run patches on evdev, compile and install evdev. I have saved you the first three steps by copying the files over & patching them and putting it all into this one tar.gz.

Step two - remove portage's xf86-input-evdev from your system, and emerge xf86-input-synaptics.

Code:
nano -w /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords
ADD THIS LINE TO THE FILE to get synaptics 1.8.0
=x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.8.0 ~amd64
then ctrl-X, y, to save it

emerge -C xf86-input-evdev
emerge xf86-input-synaptics

Step three - compile this version and install it.

Code:

wget http://www.rossmanngroup.com/gentoostuff/t440p-working-trackpoint-middle-wheel-scroll.tar.gz
tar xvf t440p-working-trackpoint-middle-wheel-scroll.tar.gz
cd xf86-input-evdev-2.9.0
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make check
make install
make clean
make distclean

Step four - copy over xorg.conf.d files so your middle button works, and so your trackpad doesn't go haywire

The default configuration for this trackpad is bunk. For example, when you go to click the left or right button, THE TRACKPAD MOVES!!! What kind of horse radish is that?

Code:
cp 99-synaptics.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

and also, you obviously want to be able to SCROLL with your middle mouse button & trackpoint nub, so you need this.

Code:
cp 90-evdev-trackpoint.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

Restart X and enjoy your thinkpad. The trackpad will use synaptics, the trackpoint thingie and the middle button will work with evdev, and you will stop cursing about how you are going back to your T61 with CCFL screen and slow old processor and enjoy the new technology. :) I know I am happy that I am not stuck on my Lenovo T520 for live!

If anyone want ebuild that does all this automatically for vanilla packages see here:
https://github.com/causes-/causelay/tree/master/x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-trackpoint
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before just plunging in on this, anyone know if this
works well on thinkpad T440S?

TIA
causes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

albright wrote:
before just plunging in on this, anyone know if this
works well on thinkpad T440S?

TIA

Should work for any thinkpad that has trackpoint buttons integrated to touchpad.
bsagal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed the ebuild, and have all the clickpad buttons working but the middle button does not activate the scroll.

Could someone post a working xorg.conf

Thank you
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately newer packages have made this hack not work. If you have a working thinkpad with a clickpad, DO NOT UPGRADE ANYTHING or you will lose having working mouse setup.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: