View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: UPower 0.99.0 was released to ~arch as of 2014-06-01 Reply with quote

Sending this Portage news item today that explains the situation mostly,

Quote:

Title: UPower loses hibernate / suspend to systemd
Author: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org>
Content-Type: text/plain
Posted: 2014-06-03
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 1.0
Display-If-Installed: <sys-power/upower-0.99.0

UPower discontinued hibernate and suspend support in favor of systemd.
Because of this, we have created a compability package at
sys-power/upower-pm-utils which will give you the old UPower with
sys-power/pm-utils support back.
Some desktops have integrated the sys-power/pm-utils support directly
to their code, like Xfce, and as a result, they work also with the new
UPower as expected.

All non-systemd users are recommended to choose between:

# emerge --oneshot --noreplace 'sys-power/upower-pm-utils'

or

# emerge --oneshot --noreplace '>=sys-power/upower-0.99.0'

However, all systemd users are recommended to stay with sys-power/upower.

Stuck. -- desultory

Last edited by SamuliSuominen on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I hope your surgery went well...

Second, to quote you

ssuominen wrote:

UPower upstream removed sys-power/pm-utils support from 0.99 release (currently unkeyworded in tree), as in, from current git master. UPower upstream created 0.9 bit branch that has the old legacy upower with sys-power/pm-utils support available still with --enable-deprecated.

So, sys-power/upower will move on to 0.99 and is, thus, mostly usable only for sys-apps/systemd users, however, Xfce upstream in git master already moved the sys-power/pm-utils code that upower had over directly to the apps, like xfce4-session and xfce4-power-manager, and will, after next releases, still work without sys-apps/systemd even with 0.99 version.

and in another reply

ssuominen wrote:

So I expect upower to be more or less dead for everything but systemd users, except for those upstreams that will actually follow the Xfce path and do the duplication Yet, still, small portition of the code is still 'generic', so xfce4-power-manager will still need both, upower, even 0.99, and then pm-utils, depending on the version, codepath is selected

This was sort of expected, since pm-utils has been abandoned for ~5 years now at upstream, so nobody is maintaining non-systemd related power management tools anymore, and falling back to eg. manual laptop-mode-tools, acpid, etc. usage will be necessary again, it's like going back to 90s for non-systemd users :P

In short, more of systemd swallowing the entire userspace.

That said, even though I don't need it, thanks for splitting off the old version for those that do.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh... things are getting increasingly 'interesting' again
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone really needs to adopt maintainership of pm-utils and possibly even UPower 0.9 git branch (the one that still has pm-utils support) at upstream level, or otherwise things will indeed get very intresting for non-systemd people (nobody can possibly expect
me to alone keep them intact from here on out forever, I have my hands full with udev alone)
till
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am currently using the resume from sys-power/suspend in my initramfs to get suspend-to-disk working. is there any replacement for this?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

till wrote:
i am currently using the resume from sys-power/suspend in my initramfs to get suspend-to-disk working. is there any replacement for this?
sys-power/hibernate-script perhaps? I use hibernate-script for suspend/resume to ram.

NB: I can not say how good or bad hibernate-script is for suspend to disk. I never set up suspend-to-disk because of the requirement of initramfs in the in-kernel implementation, and because the only other implementation that does not require initramfs - tuxonice - is often not updated (although tuxonice-sources seems to be pretty much up to date at present).
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
NB: I can not say how good or bad hibernate-script is for suspend to disk. I never set up suspend-to-disk because of the requirement of initramfs in the in-kernel implementation, and because the only other implementation that does not require initramfs - tuxonice - is often not updated (although tuxonice-sources seems to be pretty much up to date at present).

ppurka, til, et al ... I have been using hibernate-script for some time, and it works flawlessly, so much so I wonder why anyone uses pm-utils (besides the fact the x,y,z pull it in as a dependency). I also use TuxOnIce (but not sys-kernel/tuxonice-sources ... I use the upstream patches) and have yet to have a suspend/resume fail.

sys-power/hibernate-script provides two scipts 'hibernate' and 'hibernate-ram' along with well commented configuration files, it's not at all difficult to setup, and has various privisions for blacklisting, unloading modules, and doing other tasks via the config files. With better-initramfs its simple to suspend/resume from an LVM swap within a LUKS container, I rarely reboot, suspend/resume only takes a few seconds (not including the time it takes to enter the passphrase for the LUKS container).

If you want further details just ask (perhaps start another thread though, so as not to divert this from the OP's subject).

best ... khay
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you have a laptop with KDE and powerdevil, hibernate-script does nothing for you, you'll need pm-utils. At least for now.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Well, if you have a laptop with KDE and powerdevil, hibernate-script does nothing for you, you'll need pm-utils. At least for now.
Hibernate script is completely desktop agnostic. So once it is set up, it will work from everywhere DE, only X (not logged in), console, etc. Ideally, you will need to hook it up to the lid events, etc through acpi events (/etc/acpi/{actions,events}).

I haven't used the KDE desktop for years but in e it is possible to bind the suspend and hibernate "buttons" to hibernate script. IIRC, there was even a bug in b.g.o. several years ago that provided a patch to pm-utils to fall back on hibernate-script if that was available.
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For KDE users (or any other user who has upower brought in by their choice of DE) who are not using sleep/hibernate, I found the easiest way to dodge this bullet was as follows:

Code:
$ grep systemd /etc/portage/package.mask
sys-apps/systemd

This of course generated warnings on my last world update. Based on the news item, I did the following:

Code:
$ grep upower /etc/portage/package.keywords
>=sys-power/upower-0.99.0 ~amd64

Then a simple 'emerge -auDN world' updated me to the systemd free upower.

I suspect you could disable the upower use flag:

Code:

$ equery depends upower
 * These packages depend on upower:
kde-base/kdelibs-4.12.5 (upower ? >=sys-power/upower-0.9.23)

But I was not entirely comfortable doing that. If someone has done this or knows all the ramifications of this, please let me know!

Last edited by RazielFMX on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RazielFMX wrote:
For KDE users, I found the easiest way to dodge this bullet was as follows:

Code:
$ grep systemd /etc/portage/package.mask
sys-apps/systemd

Code:
$ grep upower /etc/portage/package.keywords
>=sys-power/upower-0.99.0 ~amd64

But I was not entirely comfortable doing that. If someone has done this or knows all the ramifications of this, please let me know!

0.99.0 no longer does Hibernate/Suspend, but if you don't care about those, then you did exactly correct thing.
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
0.99.0 no longer does Hibernate/Suspend, but if you don't care about those, then you did exactly correct thing.

I forgot to clarify; this was for a desktop workstation that does not sleep (I updated my post). Thanks!
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:

Yamakuzure ... that's what I ment by "besides the fact that x,y,z pull it in as a dependency".

best ... khay
lue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit confused by the news post for a short while, but let me see if I've got this right:

• If you don't use systemd and you need hibernate/suspend, install sys-power/upower-pm-utils
  • If you don't use systemd and you don't need hibernate/suspend, install >=sys-power/upower-0.99.0
  • If you use systemd, you can safely ignore this news item (maybe update to the newest upower too?)

I'm still confused by the last line of the news item:

Quote:
However, all systemd users are recommended to stay with sys-power/upower.

Isn't everybody who's using upower staying with upower in this situation? I think I'm just thrown off by the implication that non-systemd users aren't sticking with upower, but it's possible I'm missing something. Also, I noticed that while it's claimed that upower is leaving the suspend and hibernate options to systemd now, the systemd USE flag has been removed from 0.99.0 and up. While I would expect this to mean that use of systemd is now forced, a pretend emerge of the new upower (before adding it to accept_keywords, if that matters) didn't pull systemd as a dependency, so I'm not sure what that USE flag used to do, and why it's gone now.

Finally, I see the problem is specifically that upower doesn't support pm-utils anymore. Does that mean that systemd would handle pm-utils now (and if so, that might clear up some of the above confusions), or is pm-utils just dead code after an upgrade of upower?

Anyway, since I don't hibernate or suspend my computer, nor do I use systemd, I assume my course of action will be to upgrade to upower-0.99.0 whenever I want (unless there's something requiring me to choose as soon as possible).

I wonder if this change makes it worth considering a change to systemd. Looking into it, I'm at least a bit interested. I've also discovered I don't know what upower actually does for me. "UPower is an abstraction for enumerating power devices, listening to device events and querying history and statistics." isn't very helpful :P

EDIT: After seeing some of the general opinion on systemd and such around here, I want to make clear for those who'd suggest it to me that I don't want to install upower-pm-utils, because (as stated earlier in this post) I don't use the missing features, and additionally I'm not very enthusiastic about code that's already unmaintained before I even install it. :)
golding
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I'm really confused!!

My system has been using systemd for some time now, but I'm getting dependency hell in my latest emerge updates.

i.e.
Code:

one ~ # emerge -auvDN --with-bdeps y @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies ... done!                       
 ---cut---

[ebuild  N    ~] sys-power/upower-0.99.0-r1:0/2  USE="introspection -ios" 420 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23  USE="introspection -doc -ios" 0 KiB
 ---cut---

[blocks B      ] sys-power/upower ("sys-power/upower" is blocking sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23)

Total: 25 packages (15 upgrades, 7 new, 2 in new slots, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 407,649 KiB
Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

dev-util/mdds:0

(dev-util/mdds-0.10.3:0/0.10.3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=dev-util/mdds-0.10.2:= required by (app-office/libreoffice-4.2.3.3-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^^              ^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                   

(dev-util/mdds-0.8.1:0/0.8.1::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=dev-util/mdds-0.8.1:0/0.8.1= required by (dev-libs/liborcus-0.5.1:0/0.5::gentoo, installed)
                         ^^^^^^^^^                                                                                                   
    (and 1 more with the same problem)

It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
impossible to satisfy simultaneously.  If such a conflict exists in
the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can
not be installed simultaneously. You may want to try a larger value of
the --backtrack option, such as --backtrack=30, in order to see if
that will solve this conflict automatically.

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-power/upower-0.99.0-r1:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-power/upower-0.9.1 required by (gnome-extra/cinnamon-control-center-2.0.7:0/0::sabayon, installed)
    >=sys-power/upower-0.9.11 required by (gnome-extra/cinnamon-settings-daemon-2.0.7:0/0::sabayon, installed)
    sys-power/upower required by (lxde-base/lxsession-0.4.9.2-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower[introspection] required by (gnome-extra/cinnamon-2.0.12:0/0::sabayon, installed)
    >=sys-power/upower-0.9.23 required by (kde-base/kdelibs-4.12.5:4/4.12::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-power/upower-0.9.0 required by (gnome-extra/cinnamon-session-2.0.5:0/0::sabayon, installed)
    >=sys-power/upower-0.9.4 required by (mate-base/mate-applets-1.8.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-power/upower-0.9.1 required by (mate-extra/mate-power-manager-1.8.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)

(sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (gnome-extra/gnome-power-manager-3.10.1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (x11-wm/mutter-3.10.4:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (gnome-base/gnome-session-3.10.1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (mate-base/mate-session-manager-1.8.1-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.10.2:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils[introspection] required by (gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.10.4-r2:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (net-im/telepathy-mission-control-5.14.1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.10.3:2/2::gentoo, installed)

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

I had neither of the upower packages installed before and was asked to put upower-0.99 into the keyword file. Did that and now it is asking for both to be installed and saying neither can be and also a news item saying I don't need them as I already have systemd anyway ..... hoo, that hurt!!

Could somebody PLEASE not have these new things going in untill all problems are resolved. I found the only way to fix these things is to wait about two weeks and then try updating again, meanwhile who knows.

edit: fixed spell mistake.

..... Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I have never been able to make out the numbers.
trollo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is causing a conflict for stable Gnome users, unless I am doing something wrong;

I didn't update for a couple of weeks, and now emerge -puND world gives me this:

Code:

Calculating dependencies  ..... .... done!
[ebuild  N     ] sys-libs/libseccomp-2.1.1  USE="-static-libs" 111 kB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-power/pm-quirks-20100619  10 kB
[ebuild     U  ] app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs-20140406-r4 [20140406-r1] USE="development" ABI_X86="(-32)" 0 kB
[ebuild     U  ] app-office/libreoffice-l10n-4.2.3.3 [4.1.4.2] USE="-offlinehelp" LINGUAS="en -af -am -ar -as -ast -be -bg -bn -bn_IN -bo -br -brx -bs -ca -ca_valencia% -cs -cy -da -de -dgo -dz -el -en_GB -en_ZA -eo -es -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -ga -gd -gl -gu -he -hi -hr -hu -id -is -it -ja -ka -kk -km -kmr_Latn% -kn -ko -kok -ks -lb -lo -lt -lv -mai -mk -ml -mn -mni -mr -my -nb -ne -nl -nn -nr -nso -oc -om -or -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -rw -sa_IN -sat -sd -si -sid% -sk -sl -sq -sr -sr_Latn% -ss -st -sv -sw_TZ -ta -te -tg -th -tn -tr -ts -tt -ug -uk -uz -ve -vi -xh -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu (-ca_XV%) (-ku%) (-sh%)" 0 kB
[ebuild     U  ] sys-kernel/linux-headers-3.13 [3.9] 3,606 kB
[ebuild  r  U  ] app-text/qpdf-5.1.1:0/13 [4.1.0:0/10] USE="-doc -examples -static-libs {-test}" 7,484 kB
[ebuild  r  U  ] dev-libs/icu-52.1:0/52 [51.2-r2:0/51.2] USE="-debug -doc -examples -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" 23,316 kB
[ebuild     U  ] dev-libs/nspr-4.10.6 [4.10.4] USE="-debug" 1,105 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] dev-db/sqlite-3.8.2:3  USE="icu readline -debug -doc -secure-delete -static-libs -tcl {-test}" 0 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] dev-libs/boost-1.52.0-r6:0/1.52  USE="icu nls threads -debug -doc -mpi -python -static-libs -tools" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 (-python2_6) -python3_2" 0 kB
[ebuild     U  ] dev-util/mdds-0.10.3:0/0.10.3 [0.8.1:0/0.8.1] 148 kB
[ebuild     U  ] dev-perl/DateManip-6.410.0 [6.310.0] USE="{-test}" 1,929 kB
[ebuild     U  ] dev-libs/openssl-1.0.1h-r1 [1.0.1g] USE="(sse2) tls-heartbeat zlib -bindist -gmp -kerberos -rfc3779 -static-libs {-test} -vanilla" 4,371 kB
[ebuild     U  ] dev-python/setuptools-2.2 [0.8-r1] PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 (-pypy) (-python2_6) -python3_2 (-python3_4) (-pypy2_0%)" 769 kB
[ebuild  NS    ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.12.21-r1:3.12.21-r1 [3.12.13:3.12.13] USE="experimental symlink -build -deblob" 647 kB
[ebuild     U  ] app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-soundlibs-20140406-r1 [20140406] USE="alsa development (-pulseaudio*)" ABI_X86="(-32)" 0 kB
[ebuild     U ~] net-im/skype-4.3.0.37 [4.2.0.13] USE="-pax_kernel (-selinux)" 18,859 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] dev-libs/libxml2-2.9.1-r4:2  USE="icu ipv6 python readline -debug -examples -lzma -static-libs {-test}" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 (-python2_6) -python3_2 (-python3_4)" 0 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] app-text/libmspub-0.0.6  USE="-doc -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] media-libs/libcdr-0.0.14  USE="-doc -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild     U  ] net-firewall/iptables-1.4.21-r1 [1.4.20] USE="ipv6 -netlink -static-libs" 535 kB
[ebuild     U  ] x11-libs/libXfont-1.4.8 [1.4.7] USE="bzip2 ipv6 truetype -doc -static-libs" 480 kB
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libfreehand-0.0.0  USE="-doc -static-libs" 263 kB
[ebuild     U  ] net-misc/openntpd-20080406-r8 [20080406-r7] USE="ssl (-selinux)" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-text/libetonyek-0.0.3  USE="-doc -static-libs {-test}" 334 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] media-libs/libvisio-0.0.30  USE="-doc -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-text/libebook-0.0.2  USE="-doc {-test}" 401 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-text/libabw-0.0.2  USE="-doc -static-libs" 301 kB
[ebuild     U  ] app-text/libmwaw-0.2.0 [0.1.10] USE="-doc -static-libs" 790 kB
[ebuild  NS    ] dev-cpp/libcmis-0.4.1:0.4 [0.3.1:0.3] USE="-man -static-libs {-test}" 623 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] media-libs/raptor-2.0.9:2  USE="curl unicode -debug -json -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild     U  ] app-text/libodfgen-0.0.4 [0.0.2] 290 kB
[ebuild  r  U  ] dev-libs/libtasn1-3.6:0/6 [2.14:0/0] USE="-doc -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64%*) (-32) (-x32)" 1,806 kB
[ebuild     U  ] app-arch/dpkg-1.17.10 [1.17.9] USE="bzip2 lzma nls unicode update-alternatives zlib -dselect {-test}" 4,100 kB
[ebuild     U  ] net-libs/gnutls-2.12.23-r6 [2.12.23-r4] USE="cxx nettle nls zlib -bindist -doc -examples -guile -lzo -pkcs11 -static-libs {-test}" 0 kB
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/man-pages-3.67 [3.63] USE="nls" LINGUAS="-da -de -fr -it -ja -nl -pl -ro -ru -zh_CN" 1,219 kB
[ebuild     U  ] virtual/libusb-0-r2 [0-r1] ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-libs/glib-2.38.2-r1:2  USE="(mime%*) -debug (-fam) (-selinux) -static-libs -systemtap {-test} -utils -xattr" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 (-python2_6)" 0 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] media-libs/harfbuzz-0.9.23:0/0.9.18  USE="cairo glib graphite icu introspection truetype -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5-r1:4  USE="exceptions glib iconv icu ssl (-aqua) -debug -pch -qt3support" 0 kB
[ebuild     U  ] dev-java/icedtea-bin-6.1.13.3:6 [6.1.12.7:6] USE="X alsa cups -cjk -doc -examples -nsplugin (-selinux) -source" 51,077 kB
[ebuild     U  ] www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.378 [11.2.202.359] USE="sse2 (-debug) -kde (-selinux)" ABI_X86="64 -32 (-x32)" 7,066 kB
[ebuild     U  ] dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r2:4 [4.8.5-r1:4] USE="cups exceptions glib mng tiff xv -accessibility (-aqua) -debug -egl -gtkstyle -nas -nis -pch -qt3support -trace -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.2.6:3/29  USE="egl geoloc gstreamer introspection jit libsecret opengl spell webgl (-aqua) -coverage -debug -gles2 {-test}" 0 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] app-crypt/gcr-3.10.1:0/1  USE="gtk introspection vala -debug {-test}" 0 kB
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/gptfdisk-0.8.10 [0.8.8] USE="ncurses -static (-icu%*)" 187 kB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-power/pm-utils-1.4.1-r2  USE="alsa -debug -ntp" VIDEO_CARDS="intel -radeon" 204 kB
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/dbus-1.8.4 [1.6.18-r1] USE="X systemd -debug -doc (-selinux) -static-libs {-test}" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" 1,817 kB
[ebuild  r  U  ] sys-apps/systemd-212-r5:0/2 [208-r3:0/1] USE="acl filecaps firmware-loader gudev introspection kmod pam policykit seccomp%* -audit -cryptsetup -doc -gcrypt -http (-kdbus) -lzma -python -qrcode (-selinux) (-ssl) {-test} -vanilla -xattr (-tcpd%*)" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -python3_2 -python3_3" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 -python3_2" 2,659 kB
[ebuild  N     ] virtual/libudev-208:0/1  USE="-static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" 0 kB
[ebuild     U  ] virtual/udev-208-r2 [208-r1] USE="gudev introspection (-static-libs) (-kmod%*) (-selinux%)" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" 0 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] net-print/cups-filters-1.0.53  USE="dbus foomatic jpeg png tiff -perl -static-libs -zeroconf" 0 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.37  USE="introspection systemd -doc (-selinux)" 0 kB
[ebuild     U  ] media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r2 [5.0-r1] USE="X alsa asyncns bluetooth caps dbus gdbm glib gnome gtk ipv6 libsamplerate orc ssl systemd tcpd udev webrtc-aec -avahi -doc -equalizer -jack -lirc (-neon) (-oss) -qt4 -realtime (-system-wide) {-test} -xen" ABI_X86="(64) (-32) (-x32)" 0 kB
[ebuild     U  ] app-office/libreoffice-4.2.3.3-r1 [4.1.4.2] USE="bluetooth cups dbus eds gnome gstreamer gtk java opengl vba webdav (-aqua) -branding -debug (-firebird) -gtk3 -jemalloc -kde -mysql -odk -postgres -telepathy {-test} -vlc%" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="-nlpsolver -scripting-beanshell -scripting-javascript -wiki-publisher (-presenter-minimizer%*)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -python3_3" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3" 138,353 kB
[ebuild     U  ] net-libs/libpcap-1.5.3 [1.3.0-r1] USE="bluetooth dbus%* ipv6 -canusb -netlink -static-libs" 628 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.18.3-r1  USE="bluetooth cdda gnome-online-accounts gtk http libsecret samba systemd udev udisks -afp -archive -avahi -bluray -fuse -gphoto2 -ios -mtp {-test}" 0 kB
[ebuild     U  ] media-video/libav-0.8.11:0/0.8 [0.8.7:0/0.8] USE="X aac alsa avx bzip2 cdio encode gpl hardcoded-tables mmx mmxext mp3 network pulseaudio qt-faststart sdl ssl ssse3 truetype v4l vaapi vorbis x264 xvid zlib -3dnow -3dnowext (-altivec) -amr -bindist -cpudetection -custom-cflags -debug -dirac -doc -faac -frei0r -gsm -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k (-neon) -openssl -oss -pic -rtmp -schroedinger -speex -static-libs {-test} -theora -threads -vdpau (-vis) -vpx" 3,680 kB
[ebuild     U  ] www-client/chromium-35.0.1916.153 [34.0.1847.137] USE="cups gnome gnome-keyring pulseaudio tcmalloc -bindist -custom-cflags -kerberos (-neon) (-selinux) {-test} (-aura%)" LINGUAS="-am -ar -bg -bn -ca -cs -da -de -el -en_GB -es -es_LA -et -fa -fi -fil -fr -gu -he -hi -hr -hu -id -it -ja -kn -ko -lt -lv -ml -mr -ms -nb -nl -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -ro -ru -sk -sl -sr -sv -sw -ta -te -th -tr -uk -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW" 201,392 kB
[ebuild     U  ] mail-client/thunderbird-24.6.0 [24.4.0] USE="alsa crypt dbus gstreamer jit ldap libnotify lightning minimal pulseaudio startup-notification -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug -mozdom (-selinux) -system-cairo -system-icu -system-jpeg -system-sqlite -wifi" LINGUAS="-ar -ast -be -bg -bn_BD -br -ca -cs -da -de -el -en_GB -es_AR -es_ES -et -eu -fi -fr -fy_NL -ga_IE -gd -gl -he -hr -hu -hy_AM -id -is -it -ja -ko -lt -nb_NO -nl -nn_NO -pa_IN -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -rm -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -sq -sr -sv_SE -ta_LK -tr -uk -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW" 140,510 kB
[ebuild     U  ] www-client/firefox-24.6.0 [24.5.0] USE="alsa dbus gstreamer jit libnotify minimal pulseaudio startup-notification -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -debug (-pgo) (-selinux) -system-cairo -system-icu -system-jpeg -system-sqlite {-test} -wifi" LINGUAS="-af -ak -ar -as -ast -be -bg -bn_BD -bn_IN -br -bs -ca -cs -csb -cy -da -de -el -en_GB -en_ZA -eo -es_AR -es_CL -es_ES -es_MX -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -fy_NL -ga_IE -gd -gl -gu_IN -he -hi_IN -hr -hu -hy_AM -id -is -it -ja -kk -km -kn -ko -ku -lg -lt -lv -mai -mk -ml -mr -nb_NO -nl -nn_NO -nso -or -pa_IN -pl -pt_BR -pt_PT -rm -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv_SE -ta -ta_LK -te -th -tr -uk -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu" 116,666 kB
[b][ebuild  N     ] sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23  USE="introspection -doc -ios" 0 kB
[uninstall     ] sys-power/upower-0.9.23-r3  USE="introspection -doc -ios"
[blocks b      ] sys-power/upower ("sys-power/upower" is blocking sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23)
[/b][ebuild  rR    ] app-misc/tracker-0.16.4:0/16  USE="exif flac gif gstreamer gtk iso jpeg laptop libsecret miner-fs mp3 nautilus networkmanager pdf playlist tiff vorbis xml xps -cue (-eds) -firefox-bookmarks -gsf -iptc -rss {-test} -thunderbird -upnp-av -xine -xmp" 0 kB
[ebuild  rR    ] gnome-base/gdm-3.10.0.1-r1  USE="introspection ipv6 systemd tcpd -accessibility -audit -branding -debug -fprint -plymouth (-selinux) -smartcard {-test} -xinerama" 0 kB

Total: 64 packages (36 upgrades, 9 new, 2 in new slots, 17 reinstalls, 1 uninstall), Size of downloads: 737,721 kB
Conflict: 1 block

The following packages are causing rebuilds:

(dev-libs/libtasn1-3.6::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
    (app-crypt/gcr-3.10.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
  (sys-apps/systemd-212-r5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
    (sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.37::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (gnome-base/gdm-3.10.0.1-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (gnome-base/gvfs-1.18.3-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
  (app-text/qpdf-5.1.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
    (net-print/cups-filters-1.0.53::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
  (dev-libs/icu-52.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
    (net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.2.6::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (app-text/libmspub-0.0.6::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (dev-libs/libxml2-2.9.1-r4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (media-libs/raptor-2.0.9::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (dev-libs/boost-1.52.0-r6::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (media-libs/libvisio-0.0.30::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (dev-db/sqlite-3.8.2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (media-libs/harfbuzz-0.9.23::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (app-misc/tracker-0.16.4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    (media-libs/libcdr-0.0.14::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
  (sys-libs/libseccomp-2.1.1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
    (sys-apps/systemd-212-r5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

even though the news item recommends keeping upower for systemd users.
I suspect I would need upower-0.99.0-r1, but
Code:

# emerge -pu upower

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB

WARNING: One or more updates have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

sys-power/upower:0

(sys-power/upower-0.99.0-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
    <sys-power/upower-0.99 required by (gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.10.2::gentoo, installed)
    <sys-power/upower-0.99 required by (gnome-base/gnome-session-3.10.1::gentoo, installed)
    <sys-power/upower-0.99 required by (gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.10.3::gentoo, installed)
    <sys-power/upower-0.99 required by (app-misc/tracker-0.16.4::gentoo, installed)
    <sys-power/upower-0.99 required by (gnome-extra/gnome-power-manager-3.10.1::gentoo, installed)
    <sys-power/upower-0.99 required by (x11-wm/mutter-3.10.4::gentoo, installed)
    <sys-power/upower-0.99 required by (net-im/telepathy-mission-control-5.14.1::gentoo, installed)
    <sys-power/upower-0.99[introspection] required by (gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.10.4-r2::gentoo, installed)
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@golding: Increase backtracking as the output suggests; other than that, consider to mask either sys-power/upower or sys-power/upower-pm-utils depending on which you pick.

@trollo: Which conflict? You can remove -p and --pretend from the emerge parameters.
trollo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
@trollo: Which conflict? You can remove -p and --pretend from the emerge parameters.

The news item recommends keeping upower and portage wants to uninstall it in favour of upower-pm-utils. That's confusing. I did not mean an actual (unsolvable) package conflict.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to golding, you can mask it to see whether that helps and/or why it is trying to pull that in; as for stable GNOME, make sure you use the gnome/systemd profile.
trollo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the gnome/systemd profile; masking sys-power/upower-pm-utils works, thanks.

I still think this either shouldn't be necessary or at least hinted at in the news item. I have a pretty standard stable gnome/systemd system, so I guess this confusion affects a bunch of people. upower-pm-utils gets pulled in only by packages that depend on it OR upower, I have no idea why portage favours the former, as the latter has both a more recent version number and date.
duderonomy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trollo wrote:
I'm using the gnome/systemd profile; masking sys-power/upower-pm-utils works, thanks.

I still think this either shouldn't be necessary or at least hinted at in the news item. I have a pretty standard stable gnome/systemd system, so I guess this confusion affects a bunch of people. upower-pm-utils gets pulled in only by packages that depend on it OR upower, I have no idea why portage favours the former, as the latter has both a more recent version number and date.

Are you saying that if a User is on "default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop" then it should be changed to "default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd", as an example?

thx!
:D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: