What does offensive USE flag do?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tux2015
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: What does offensive USE flag do? Reply with quote

Can anyone clarify the meaning of 'offensive' USE flag. For example, what does it enable for net-misc/youtube-dl? What can be offensive in portage? Any concrete example?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically some applications have taunts and verbally offensive error messages that the USE flag enables but to be "politically correct" they were opted out. Sudo is one of them, and I also recall the old /usr/games/bin/fortune command also included colorful remarks that may follow the same issues but don't know what package has that now.

I don't know about other applications however. It's up to your discretion wanting these things.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml wrote:
offensive | Enable potentially offensive items in packages

For sudo it insults you if you mistype your password. I don't know what it does for the particular package you listed.

An example might be in Sabayon Linux if you misuse equo it will tell you several variations of 'read the manual' in increasingly ridiculing ways before simply defaulting to 'go to hell.' The possible objectiveness of having your computer insult your or do something else you might consider offensive is why the useflag exists. Simply because some people might be offended isn't a good reason to exclude something from the portage tree. At best it is a reason to put a warning on it so people can't complain they weren't warned.

EDIT: I see I was slow pressing submit.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins, tux2015, et al!

With regards to youtube-dl (and libquvi-scripts, I maybe guess), I believe the flag enables support for “nsfw” sites.

At least that's what the ebuilds told me! ^^
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it really should be a "nsfw" flag? :D
Maybe there also needs to be a "parental control" USE flag? :o

Really can't blame the user for pointing to a bad site versus getting vulgar error messages because you don't have a choice upon build...
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least in youtube-dl's case, I'm not sure if it's really necessary (even as it is), or at least I can't imagine a situation where it would be.

As far as I understand, it adds the 'extraction' bits for the specific sites, and it's then possible to use it to download videos from those sites similarly to youtube.

The user would still need the link to a video.

I guess if a browser was managed by, say, a parent, and the little rascals got them naughty links from elsewhere, they would be able to make use of this. How probable is such a scenario though?

I'm not sure if there is any other part (aside from the code) that lists those sites, aside from the --list-extractors option. With that said, I guess it's understandable to have a flag for removing them from that list.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: