Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
CSMT/GL_Threaded_Optimizations and terrible performance...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirEdgar2nd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: CSMT/GL_Threaded_Optimizations and terrible performance... Reply with quote

Okay, so what I /want/ or /wanted/ is for my game (Starcraft II) to run at a playable framerate. I read that a lot of people are getting huuuuuuuuge performance boosts with gl_threaded_optimizations and CSMT (not both at once...). Sadly, no matter what the performance I get seems to be subpar.

I am running nvidia proprietary drivers (337, on ~).

Wine 1.7.19
1.) I don't remember the exact framerate, but it was running somewhere between 20-30 fps in the beginning, then I ran this (thanks to the power of google!)

Code:
LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 wine '/home/edgar/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StarCraft II/Support/SC2Switcher.exe'

Performance...was less than 10 frames :cry:

2.) So, I decide to look for the CSMT patches, since I saw so many people like this guy:

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/8574007541
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2JMeooiRMw

:S I find this patch on the play onlinux github (I Don't have the knowledge to make my own yet) and they had one for 1.7.10

https://github.com/PlayOnLinux/wine-patches/blob/master/custom/CSMT-a632585/CSMT-1.7.10-a632585.patch

I install it, enable what I need in regedit (CSMT = "enabled" in the correct place)

Performance...was still in the 10 FPS area, though abit better than gl_threaded_optimizations at least.

I put the .patch under /etc/portage/patches/app-emulation/wine/ and masked all versions equal to or greater than 1.7.11.

3.) I tried 1.7.4 but it fails on compiling once it looks for any available freetype stuff (and if I disable truetype flag, there is no text anywhere in WINE or it's apps)

4.) Same issue as always, I get audio crackling. :S Related likely to pulse...and sometimes the audio is too quick....

What I want to know is, what am I doing wrong if anything? >:
Why am I not experiencing the magical performance boost so many others have experienced? :( Is my wine version too high? Is all the software I am using too far into the cutting edge? How many of you people if ANY have used either of these patches have experienced large performance increases in games?

Edit: also, I want to add I don't see CSMT as a 'magic bullet' but I really had my hopes up with all this 'performance boost talk'
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depend where the performance is taken...

If you have a problem that let your game run at 10fps, sure having a patch that let it run at 30fps is a huge performance boost : but the patch is getting that boost by fixing the problem and not giving more performance in real.

Your game run at 30fps, are you sure that patch is to increase performance and not one to fix a performance problem?
SirEdgar2nd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The patch is to fix a performance problem.

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-bugs/2013-January/344250.html

This one.

Anyways, I just woke up decided to tryu the game again and it ran at a good frame rate, I noticed CSMT was disabled, from last night. Here is what I got

1.) WITHOUT CSMT around 40ish FPS.
2.) WITH CSMT around 50-60 with occasional dips to 30.
3.) WITH LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 wine '/home/edgar/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/StarCraft II/Support/SC2Switcher.exe' ...10 FPS
4.) Same command as ABOVE but =0 (and LD_preload unset) still 10 FPS...(attempting to make sure it was disabled)
5.) Running SC2 again after making sure all processes were did and running it without any extra commands to the left. Expected performance from previous results.

All of this was on low with compositing turned off

Increasing graphics to Medium KILLED performance and made it dip to 20 FPS (which I was running it at last night)

So, I think to myself, "maybe I should enable compositing if I want ot play on medium?" Which did raise my FPS a tiny bit.

TL'DR: So I think last night, the things impairing my in game performance was running no compositing on a cpu bottlenecked game, running the game on medium or higher and attempting to compare CSMT and that gl_threaded_optimizations trick I kept reading about.

Though, I Must say I am a bit jealous of this guy https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20882&iTestingId=81976 :evil:

EDIT: Everything I Said about framerate is highly inaccurate when it comes to WITH and WITHOUT compositing. So take this last post with a grain of salt. :S
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: