A few questions about Pipelight [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: A few questions about Pipelight [Solved] Reply with quote

Advice on the Pipelight/Silverlight browser plugin needed, please!

Background

I have WINE 1.7.19-r1 installed without USE="pipelight":

Code:
# eix -I wine
[I] app-emulation/wine
     Available versions:  1.2.3^t (~)1.3.28^t 1.4^t 1.4.1^t (~)1.5.0^t (~)1.5.1^t (~)1.5.2^t (~)1.5.3^t (~)1.5.4^t (~)1.5.5^t (~)1.5.6^t (~)1.5.7^t (~)1.5.8^t (~)1.5.9^t (~)1.5.10-r1^t (~)1.5.11-r1^t (~)1.5.12-r1^t (~)1.5.13-r1^t (~)1.5.14-r1^t (~)1.5.15-r2^t (~)1.5.16-r1^t (~)1.5.17^t (~)1.5.18^t (~)1.5.19^t (~)1.5.20^t (~)1.5.21^t (~)1.5.22^t (~)1.5.23-r1^t (~)1.5.24^t (~)1.5.25^t (~)1.5.26^t (~)1.5.27^t (~)1.5.28^t (~)1.5.29^t (~)1.5.30^t (~)1.5.31^t 1.6^t 1.6.1^t (~)1.6.2^t (~)1.7.0^t (~)1.7.3^t (~)1.7.4^t (~)1.7.8^t (~)1.7.9^t (~)1.7.10^t (~)1.7.11^t (~)1.7.12^t (~)1.7.13^t (~)1.7.14^t (~)1.7.15^t (~)1.7.16^t (~)1.7.17^t (~)1.7.18^t (~)1.7.19-r1^t **9999^t {+X (+)alsa capi cups custom-cflags dbus dos (+)fontconfig +gecko gnutls gphoto2 gsm gstreamer jack (+)jpeg lcms ldap +mono mp3 nas ncurses netapi nls odbc openal opencl +opengl osmesa (+)oss +perl pipelight (+)png +prelink pulseaudio +realtime +run-exes samba scanner selinux (+)ssl test +threads +truetype (+)udisks v4l +win32 +win64 xcomposite xinerama (+)xml ABI_MIPS="n32 n64 o32" ABI_X86="(+)32 (+)64 x32" ELIBC="glibc" LINGUAS="ar bg ca cs da de el en en_US eo es fa fi fr he hi hr hu it ja ko lt ml nb_NO nl or pa pl pt_BR pt_PT rm ro ru sk sl sr_RS@cyrillic sr_RS@latin sv te th tr uk wa zh_CN zh_TW"}
     Installed versions:  1.7.19-r1^t(20:39:56 22/05/14)(X alsa cups fontconfig gecko gphoto2 gsm jpeg lcms mp3 ncurses nls openal opengl perl png prelink pulseaudio realtime run-exes scanner ssl threads truetype udisks v4l xinerama xml -capi -custom-cflags -dos -gstreamer -ldap -mono -netapi -odbc -opencl -osmesa -oss -pipelight -samba -selinux -test -xcomposite ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32" ABI_X86="32 64 -x32" ELIBC="glibc" LINGUAS="en pt_BR -ar -bg -ca -cs -da -de -el -en_US -eo -es -fa -fi -fr -he -hi -hr -hu -it -ja -ko -lt -ml -nb_NO -nl -or -pa -pl -pt_PT -rm -ro -ru -sk -sl -sr_RS@cyrillic -sr_RS@latin -sv -te -th -tr -uk -wa -zh_CN -zh_TW")
     Homepage:            http://www.winehq.org/
     Description:         Free implementation of Windows(tm) on Unix

Today at work I needed to access an Intranet site that requires Silverlight, so, while I had both Firefox and Chrome running, I merged Pipelight 0.2.3 from the sabayon overlay:

Code:
# eix -I pipelight
[I] www-plugins/pipelight [1]
     Available versions:  (~)0.2.3 {+binary-pluginloader flash foxitpdf grandstream installation-dialogs shockwave +silverlight static unity3d}
     Installed versions:  0.2.3(06:32:14 26/05/14)(binary-pluginloader silverlight -flash -foxitpdf -grandstream -installation-dialogs -shockwave -static -unity3d)
     Homepage:            http://fds-team.de/cms/index.html https://launchpad.net/pipelight
     Description:         A browser plugin which allows one to use windows-only plugins inside Linux browsers.

[1] "sabayon" /var/lib/layman/sabayon

Once Pipelight finished installing, Firefox automatically installed the Silverlight plugin and I could access the required Intranet site in Firefox.

(I subsequently read that it is better to install Pipelight without any browser running, and that the Silverlight plugin will be installed automatically when you later launch either Firefox or Chrome.)

Question 1

How come Firefox installed the Pipelight/Silverlight plugin and it works fine even though WINE in my installation was built with USE="-pipelight"? (Not that i'm complaining!)

Question 2

Is it possible to have the Pipelight/Silverlight plugin working with more than one browser in the same Gentoo installation?

Question 3

If the answer to Question 2 is "yes", what do I need to do to get Pipelight/Silverlight working in Chrome too?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pipelight is brilliant, BTW, and I'm very grateful to the developer(s) as I urgently needed to be able to access from my Gentoo installation the aforementioned Intranet site at work.

Fitzcarraldo's blog

Last edited by Fitzcarraldo on Thu May 29, 2014 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more digging and I've found answers to my Questions 2 and 3:

https://answers.launchpad.net/pipelight/+question/246665

On 2014-04-08 Michael Müller wrote:
Pipelight is by default enabled in all your browsers. The reason why it does not work in chrome unstable is that Google is going to drop support for NPAPI in Chrome 34 and the unstable channels already ships version 35. This basically means that also your normal Chrome installation is going to stop working with Pipelight as soon as Chrome 34 is released. I can't tell you an exact release date of Chrome 34 but it seems like only a couple of days are left.

I'm using Chrome 35.0.1916.114, and according to the above thread Pipelight does not work with Chrome 34 and above. :(

Question 1 is still open, though. :)

Fitzcarraldo's blog
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be using app-emulation/wine-compholio instead for question 1, depends a bit on how they've packaged it; and yes, NPAPI plugins like that are no longer supported in Google Chrome / Chromium.
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
Could be using app-emulation/wine-compholio instead for question 1, depends a bit on how they've packaged it;

But that's my point: in my case it isn't, because WINE in my installation was built without the pipelight USE flag selected, as shown in the eix output in my first post. The unofficial Compholio patchset for Pipelight is therefore not installed in my installation. The WINE 1.7.19-r1 ebuild, which is what I merged, shows that, with the pipelight USE flag not selected, the Compholio patchset is not used.

Hence my Question 1, namely: If the unofficial Compholio patchset for Pipelight is not installed in my case, how come Pipelight works in Firefox in my installation? If it is not actually necessary to set the pipelight USE flag in the wine-1.7.19-r1.ebuild in order to have Pipelight/Silverlight working, then the USE flag is redundant (unnecessary).

Does anyone else have Pipelight/Silverlight working successfully in their browser(s) and yet WINE in their installation was not installed with the pipelight USE flag set?

Fitzcarraldo's blog
DarkPlayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

you are missing the following features if you leave out the Pipelight patches:

• Some Silverlight applications do not work, because of an error in the URL parsing of Wine
  • You can not play DRM protected content with Silverlight, because vanilla Wine does not support ACLs on files
  • You will randomly control a hidden flash application running in a background tab than the one in the front when using Flash through Pipelight
  • Unity3D will refuse to start as it can not update itself

This list is most probably missing some points, but I think this are the most major ones. You can also find the links to some bug reports describing this issues at https://github.com/compholio/wine-compholio-daily.

Anyway, we are currently working on new features (like GPU decoding) and you will also miss them without the patchset.

DarkPlayer
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkPlayer,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive post, which answers my first question. I am now going to re-merge WINE with the pipelight USE flag!

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: