View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cr0t
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: time is wrong in gnome Reply with quote

I am unable to set the time in gnome. When i change it as a local user, it takes the settings, but doesn't save them. The system never asks me for the root password. If I login as root, it's the same behavior.

Code:
May 18 08:29:51 ninapie gnome-session[603]: (gnome-settings-daemon:650): datetime-plugin-WARNING **: Could not get 'org.freedesktop.timedate1.set-timez
one' permission: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Action org.freedesktop.timedate1.set-timezone is not registered
May 18 08:29:46 ninapie org.gnome.Shell.CalendarServer[620]: (gnome-shell-calendar-server:694): ShellCalendarServer-WARNING **: Error opening cal
endar 1376000301.1944.4@ninapie: Cannot open calendar: Failed to obtain an access token for 'Calendar': GDBus.Error:org.gnome.OnlineAccounts.Error.NotA
uthorized: No credentials found in the keyring
May 18 08:29:46 ninapie goa[720]: secret_password_lookup_sync() returned NULL [goautils.c:244, goa_utils_lookup_credentials_sync()]
May 18 08:29:46 ninapie org.gnome.OnlineAccounts[620]: 08:29:46.182:[2843]:[WARNING]: secret_password_lookup_sync() returned NULL [goautils.c:244, goa_
utils_lookup_credentials_sync()]

Code:
08:30:06^root@ninapie:~ > timedatectl
      Local time: Sun 2014-05-18 08:31:05 EDT
  Universal time: Sun 2014-05-18 12:31:05 UTC
        RTC time: Sun 2014-05-18 12:31:02
       Time zone: America/New_York (EDT, -0400)
     NTP enabled: yes
NTP synchronized: no
 RTC in local TZ: no
      DST active: yes
 Last DST change: DST began at
                  Sun 2014-03-09 01:59:59 EST
                  Sun 2014-03-09 03:00:00 EDT
 Next DST change: DST ends (the clock jumps one hour backwards) at
                  Sun 2014-11-02 01:59:59 EDT
                  Sun 2014-11-02 01:00:00 EST
08:31:05^root@ninapie:~ >

Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you boot on Systemd? It's look like a Dbus permissions problem. The file /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop/timedate1.conf seem's to allow users to set the clock by default.

I use, with root permissions, the ntpdate command to set the system clock and hwclock -uw to set the hardware clock in UTC (recommanded). The /etc/conf.d/hwclock file have
Code:
clock="UTC"

for the system clock being set correctly at boot time from hardware clock according with the time zone of /etc/localtime. My .bashrc export the TZ environment variable to my localtime (America/Montreal).
Code:
export TZ='America/Montreal'

Cr0t
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
Did you boot on Systemd? It's look like a Dbus permissions problem. The file /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop/timedate1.conf seem's to allow users to set the clock by default.

I use, with root permissions, the ntpdate command to set the system clock and hwclock -uw to set the hardware clock in UTC (recommanded). The /etc/conf.d/hwclock file have
Code:
clock="UTC"

for the system clock being set correctly at boot time from hardware clock according with the time zone of /etc/localtime. My .bashrc export the TZ environment variable to my localtime (America/Montreal).
Code:
export TZ='America/Montreal'
My actual system clock is fine. It is gnome, that is showing the wrong one. I tried UTC and local, but neither one is making a difference.
I didn't try the variable export.
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a possibly similar issue, recently arrived after an upgrade (or possibly the clocks going forward, though I think I would have noticed it before if that was the case). The clock works fine from the command line, "date" says exactly what it should. Which is that the system clock is set to UTC, time-zone set to London in the neighbouring country of England so it correctly adds an hour for daylight saving to give the actual time.

The hardware clock is updated to the system clock time at shutdown and the system clock is kept timely by NTP (by enabling ntpdate.service).

Gnome recognises all that stuff, says what the time zone is but the time display on the top thingy gives me UTC not UTC + 1.
poncho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyspoke wrote:
I have a possibly similar issue, recently arrived after an upgrade (...)

probably https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=510422
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poncho wrote:
greyspoke wrote:
I have a possibly similar issue, recently arrived after an upgrade (...)

probably https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=510422

Thanks poncho, that looks like it.
Cr0t
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worked
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using the machine before downgrading timezone-data. Boy does that bug create havoc, internet slowed to a crawl and gentoo file manager had a nervous breakdown. Fortunate that the clock display alerted me that something was wrong, otherwise I would have been scratching my head (or even tearing my hair out).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: