Gentoo on wm8850 SoC with ARM A9 processor -3- portage tree
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wkt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on wm8850 SoC with ARM A9 processor -3- portage tree Reply with quote

I just started from scratch with rootfs stage3-armv7a_hardfp-20140112.tar.bz2

I read somewhere :
>>>install the current portage tree<<<
cd usr
wget http://ftp.twaren.net/Gentoo/snapshots/portage-latest.tar.xz
tar Jxvf portage-latest.tar.xz
rm portage-latest.tar.xz
eselect profile list

1. is this necessary/correct ?
2. what is it good for ?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on wm8850 SoC with ARM A9 processor -3- portage t Reply with quote

wkt wrote:
I read somewhere :

wkt ... not on the internet I hope :) ... but seriously, if you are not following the Gentoo Handbook then you are likely to run into issues, you can't hope that having read bits and peices "somewhere" is going to get you though the install. That said, the Gentoo Handbook for Arm is now unmaintained (and so possibly not entirely up-to-date) but it should cover the basics (and you can refer to one of the other arch handbooks if something doesn't work out.

wkt wrote:
1. is this necessary/correct?

Yes, but some installs don't have this on the rootfs, they mount it via NFS or have it on a seperate disk (which is more relevant for embeded and/or targets with minimal HD space ... not sure you fit that category or not)

wkt wrote:
2. what is it good for?

You need to spend a little time reading the excelent documentation because you need to have a basic understanding of how gentoo works, the portage system, etc.

best ... khay
wkt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rootfs stage3-armv7a_hardfp-20140112.tar.bz2 is now booting from 4GB SD card partition.

It loooks just now quite good. Things are running smoother now.

For the testing phase I hope this is enough space - later I will put the system on an
external USB disk ( maybe 32GB at least ).

I ony wanted to know whether the portage tree in the above rootfs ( 20140112 !!! )
already must be updated from the address above.

Sorry for any molestation I make - Gentoo is very complex... and different.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wkt wrote:
I ony wanted to know whether the portage tree in the above rootfs ( 20140112 !!! )
already must be updated from the address above.

wkt ... a stage3 doesn't come with a portage tree, its downloaded seperately, this is because the stages may get old, but portage-latest.tar.xz will be updated regularly.

wkt wrote:
Sorry for any molestation I make - Gentoo is very complex... and different.

No problem ... hehe "molestation". Gentoo isn't that complex, mostly the defaults are sane, so don't sweat it. There is of course a lot to learn (dependent on what your needs are) but once the basics are understood it should be mostly plain sailing.

best ... khay
wkt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the emerge --sync the same/similar as calling this
wget http://ftp.twaren.net/Gentoo/snapshots/portage-latest.tar.xz command ?

For my future learning process : does it make sense to read the Handbook which
deals with the x86 architecture ? What parts do you suggest usable for ARMists ?
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wkt wrote:
Is the emerge --sync the same/similar as calling this
wget http://ftp.twaren.net/Gentoo/snapshots/portage-latest.tar.xz command?

wkt ... yes, they will achieve similar results, but an rsync takes longer, places more burden on the rsync repositories, etc, and so the method used for acquiring the portage tree when first installing is to download the tree as a tarball. Subsequently you run 'emerge --sync' to update, but for getting the tree its best to use the portage-latest tarball.

wkt wrote:
For my future learning process : does it make sense to read the Handbook which deals with the x86 architecture? What parts do you suggest usable for ARMists?

I can't say how up-to-date the ARM handbook is, or where it might differ from the current (x86, amd64, etc) handbooks, I imagine there are a few changes probably not included in the former ... such as make.conf location, "(non-)persistent" device naming, and other more recent changes. Its probably marked as "unsupported" as there is no-one currently maintaining it, and so these recent changes are not reflected in the instructions. These will (probably) be only minor differences, so its not entirely obsolete, if you do notice that, say, files are not in the expected location, then refer to a (current) handbook (ie, x86), but I'm fairly sure the changes will be minor.

There isn't a handbook I can point you to, but you might also look at the gentoo wiki which has various entries for other ARM targets (such as the Raspberry_Pi), and there is also various information provided as part of the gentoo embedded handbook which may, or may not, be helpful. That said, these are specific details, the general methods used for installing, maintaining, etc, are fairly generic to all architectures so the information provided in any of the currently up-to-date handbooks should be sufficient.

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: