Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why isn't Firefox using native desktop notifications?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Why isn't Firefox using native desktop notifications? Reply with quote

When something in Firefox creates a desktop notification it pops up an ugly GTK box in the top-right (non-configurable) corner of the screen: it looks visually identical to the ones that x11-misc/notification-daemon shows, but I don't have that installed. I can't find anything in about:config to remedy this malfunction.

I have E17 to satisfy the virtual/notification-daemon requirement, and Fx was built with USE=libnotify. Every other program including /usr/bin/notify-send uses the native notifications, so that narrows the fault down to Mozilla or the ebuild...
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a wild guess:
AFAIK Firefox is written purely for M$ Windows. It has builtin auto-updater, plugin downloader, I also remember some benchmarks showing that it runs faster on wine than compiled for linux. So, if it's windows that is the target platform, why bother with intergration with linux DE? You just make an all-inclusive app and it will (better or worse) run. Integrating it with windows and with linux would require developing additional layers for this single task, a component that would be replaced (rather than shared) to match different targets while printing windows boxes can be automaticaly translated to gtk.
Well, that's my guess anyway.
lexming
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNotifier is an addon for Firefox that makes it to play with your linux notification daemon of choice.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
just a wild guess:
AFAIK Firefox is written purely for M$ Windows. It has builtin auto-updater, plugin downloader, I also remember some benchmarks showing that it runs faster on wine than compiled for linux. So, if it's windows that is the target platform, why bother with intergration with linux DE? You just make an all-inclusive app and it will (better or worse) run. Integrating it with windows and with linux would require developing additional layers for this single task, a component that would be replaced (rather than shared) to match different targets while printing windows boxes can be automaticaly translated to gtk.
Well, that's my guess anyway.

Sorry, but that's too much FUD...
Firefox already has an abstraction layer for their target OSes inside XUL. And some versions AGO (might be QUITE some versions) firefox used the native notification system. But they decided to look and behave consistent across target systems. IMHO that means firefox also does not use Windows and Mac native notifications - which I can't test ;)
poncho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mail-client/thunderbird-24.0-r1 does not use libnotify: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=485984 (it's the same issue for both, thunderbird and firefox)
Web Notifications support does not integrate with libnotify: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=858919
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: