Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
SSD Not Detected On Linux (Works on Windows)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkrizka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: SSD Not Detected On Linux (Works on Windows) Reply with quote

Hello,

A while ago I’ve bought my first solid state drive, the Kingston HyperX. I’ve just recently installed it into my computer. I’m pretty sure that I installed it correctly, since it shows up in the BIOS and I am able to use it under Windows 7.

However once I boot into Gentoo, I am not able to detect this drive. I looked under /dev/sd*, and all I see are the old drives (four in total). I also ran lshw, which also only detected the four old drives.

Do you have any suggestions about what I could do to debug this problem further?

All of the drives are connected using SATA3 to a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 motherboard.

--
Karol Krizka
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, if you miss the driver for the controller where the drive is plug...
And no, having other drives working is just a proof they are plug on a controller that indeed have its driver loaded.
If all drives use the same controller that will be more a mystery then, but i just bet on different controller.
lspci -k should answer you.
kkrizka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. The SSD was indeed plugged into a different controller.

Code:
03:00.0 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9172 SATA III 6Gb/s RAID Controller (rev 11)

I tried enabling all of the Marvell drivers inside the SATA section of kernel config, without any help. What ended up solving this problem was changing the mode for this controller from IDE to AHCI inside the BIOS. Now everything works.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: