Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] suspend capability gone with xorg-server-1.15.0 ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disperato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] suspend capability gone with xorg-server-1.15.0 ? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I upgraded xorg-server to version 1.15.0 yesterday and suspend stopped working on my laptop.
Behaviour: I suspend normally and let it rest. Once I open the lid, or push gently the switch that turns on the laptop (these are the ways my laptop wakes up) here is what happens:
some leds blink, the cd drive make an apparent start;
the system wakes up but no video at all.
Changing terminal with Alt+Ctrl+F1 does not work, all can I do is init a shutdown either by Magic Sys Req, or switching off (button enabled in kernel config).

Nothing had changed in my bios settings, where things are set as they should be to work with suspend (i.e. S3 video repost, L0s, etc.)
I tried several times, with adequate "after-procedures" to preserve or restore file systems' health (just in case), same result every time: cannot wake up with X output.

I obvioulsy suspected the culprit to be xorg-server (that by default asks for re-emerging a few drivers along), checked the last merging logs, found it.
The branch used here is "amd64" (thus stable) as most as possible, and xorg-server-1.15.0 is marked stable, hence the upgrade.
Masking that specific version on my system has done emerge to suggest the previous one 1.14.5, that is now working fine as usual.

Just to give a full report, every upgrade/undergrade of xorg-server brings to emerge the few packages listed here (for my system):

Code:
[ebuild  rR    ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.8.2
[ebuild  rR    ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.21.15
[ebuild  rR    ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-modesetting-0.8.1
[ebuild  rR    ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa-2.3.3
[ebuild  rR    ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.9.0
[ebuild  rR    ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.7.0
[ebuild  rR    ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.7.4
[ebuild  rR    ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.4

And, for improved safety, I re-emerged nvidia drivers as well and even gave a reboot. All the same.

I don't know if this accident is due to a bug or I did something wrong (like not recompiling the desktop and windows manager, and power related apps - btw emerge didn't ask for that), this is why I'm writing to the forum and not to the bugs.gentoo.org where I usually do when software fails to emerge/work.
Anyone else who is having the same issue?

Last edited by disperato on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
jchau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How reproducible is this problem? I too have experienced failures to wake up from sleep, but for me, the problems have been intermittent enough to make debugging difficult.
disperato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My case might be slightly different from yours. My blind (no video) wake up was constant and strictly related to the version mentioned: xorg-server-1.15.0
Thus it is reproducible, IMO, installing that version of xorg-server :)

If your problem is not related to xorg-server (or to any specific version of it), but you are on a new laptop or a laptop with a newly installed linux, my suggestion is to adjust bios settings enabling things like:
video repost, S3, L0s, ASPM avoiding L1s L0+L1, S1, S1+S3, and so on. Please keep note of everything you try and, most important, try one at the time. Useful info may be found on the internet (the usual headache trip through forums) for your model and the appropriate settings to any flavour of linux.
disperato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

I tried to install xorg-server-1.15.1 and had the very same problem. This time was willing to dig a bit more, thus tried, all at the time (I'm on xfce4):

Quote:
emerge @x11-module-rebuild

emerge polkit xfce4-power-manager

plus emerge "everything installed with xfce4"
and enabled CONFIG_TIMER_STATS in kernel as asked by xfce4-power-manager, recompiled kernel, etc.

reboot

et voila', working fine with xorg-server-1.15.1 and stuff
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: