Ethernet occasionally drops
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Ethernet occasionally drops Reply with quote

My Ethernet connection drops occasionally, so I thought I'd post on the worlds greatest Linux forum asking if anyone had any ideas why?

I'm running three routers and a switch .
routers running dd-wrt and a switch with my gentoo box, a rasp pi and a Mac (Lion) sometimes all hardwired.
Linksys E3200 is the main router to a Netgear GS105 1Gig.

Is there a log for Ethernet?

Thanks

Code:

azzerare ~ # uname -a
Linux azzerare 3.12.13-gentoo #1 SMP Sat Mar 8 21:17:41 PST 2014 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
azzerare ~ # lspci

00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 7c)

04:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A/VT8251 HDA Controller
azzerare ~ # free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          3231       1032       2198          0         23        486
-/+ buffers/cache:        522       2709
Swap:         8192          0       8192
azzerare ~ #

szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could run traceroute or tracepath to some arbitrary IP address somewhere out in the wilds of the internet to determine which device/wire couses problems. Obviously you should do that while your internet is down :)

it is also possible that your setup couses problems, in this case more datails would be handy. How are your devices interconnected? Don't you have loops by any chance? MAybe IP conflict? you know, 2 separated subnetworks sharing a single IP pool or something like that.
cwc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
I think you could run traceroute or tracepath to some arbitrary IP address somewhere out in the wilds of the internet to determine which device/wire couses problems. Obviously you should do that while your internet is down :)

it is also possible that your setup couses problems, in this case more datails would be handy. How are your devices interconnected? Don't you have loops by any chance? MAybe IP conflict? you know, 2 separated subnetworks sharing a single IP pool or something like that.

I'm also considering purchasing a pci nic.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

I wonder if it's not simply a hardware failure.

Just a while ago, my (ADSL) connection started to go weird. It was seemingly random, without any pattern that I could discern. My connection to the ISP seemed to stay up, so it was just the connection to the ADSL-modem that started dropping.

For a long time, I thought it was the cable from a laptop that had gone bad, as it seemed to not do it after I switched that. The issue would, however, return. At some point, it started to do it for my main machine as well. I don't know if any sort of debug switches would have helped me decide on the problem sooner; the output might have been similar, if not identical to that of re-plugging the LAN-cable.

My /var/log/messages has some 5000 of each, 'link up' and 'link down' lines since December 2013. It would sometimes happen several times within a minute, or not at all for 12 hours or more. It was so quick to come back up, that it didn't even drop me from on-line games most of the time, but needless to say, it started to bug me quite a bit regardless.

I tried different kernel versions from before the time they started to show up in the logs a lot. I tried adding a firmware patch (rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw), which made no difference that I could see.

I also tried using an old PCI NIC I had stashed, even though at that point I had noticed the issue on more than one machine. Still, the issue wasn't that apparent for users utilising Windows, apparently. But as I mentioned, the link came back up so quickly for me, too, that it was not always too noticeable. There's also the fact that I can see the modem at all times while here, so I would see the LAN light(s) go off and on (and then there are my logs, of course). Curiously, the Windows machines did not exhibit the behaviour regarding those lights.
I did not really bother testing if the issue could even be seen on a Windows machine. Those users did mention noticing something, but it could have very well been something else.

Either way, once I finally got a different modem to try out with, the up & down linking did come to an end. Presently, it would indeed seem that my initial fear had some truth to it. It may just be that the box (Zyxel Prestige 660H-61) has simply come to the end of its journey. It did serve me since 2006, though, which isn't too bad considering the identical box it replaced got zapped by lightning. ^^;

Now I just need to put OpenWrt into this 'new' one (rebranded Bewan Ibox)...

Anyblue, sorry for the story-time. I couldn't find one exactly like mine at the time of my woe, so now at least one exists!

There's also another point in it: did the same set-up work fine until now?

If yes, I might consider a hardware-fault mighty plausible.
cwc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwc wrote:
szatox wrote:

I'm also considering purchasing a pci nic.

epic post!
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having three routers sounds a little off, do you have three ISP's?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might help you logging your router log. Here's how i do that.
Set router to log to IP# using udp
Set your syslog-ng with
Code:
source others {
udp();
};
destination others { file("/var/log/$HOST.log" owner(root) group(root) perm(0600)); };
log { source(others); destination(others); };

Now you get your routers log by their IP. This include losing connection, reconnecting... messages and the timestamp. You can at least see what router have a problem, what problem it is...
Code:
Apr  4 22:30:17 192.168.0.100 [DOS Attack] : 1 [ACK Scan] packets detected in last 20 seconds, source ip [91.198.174.208]
cwc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
It might help you logging your router log. Here's how i do that.
Set router to log to IP# using udp
Set your syslog-ng with
Code:
source others {
udp();
};
destination others { file("/var/log/$HOST.log" owner(root) group(root) perm(0600)); };
log { source(others); destination(others); };

Now you get your routers log by their IP. This include losing connection, reconnecting... messages and the timestamp. You can at least see what router have a problem, what problem it is...
Code:
Apr  4 22:30:17 192.168.0.100 [DOS Attack] : 1 [ACK Scan] packets detected in last 20 seconds, source ip [91.198.174.208]

Woooo. this is epic. Now the question is where do I put this script. I'll need to be spoon fed on this one.

Is this where I put the script: console_all { file("/dev/console"); };
azzerare ~ # more /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf

I'd also like to try this from my
RaspPi http://96.41.217.172:8000/
cwc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Having three routers sounds a little off, do you have three ISP's?

I am a little off. I don't have a smart phone and I use the routers so I can stream outside with my ipod while I work in the yard.
I also helps with my our tablets.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: