Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ROCCAT mouse doesn't work ("failed to attach handler kbd")
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max_JD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: ROCCAT mouse doesn't work ("failed to attach handler kb Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm kind of new to Gentoo (installed it some years ago, but used Ubuntu most of the time) but I wanted to give it a try again these days :) I currently use kernel 3.12.13, basically everything is working and I eventually got the nvidia drivers running.

But I'm stuck with the "Roccat Savu" mouse I want to use. I compiled the related kernel module (tried to compile in, and compile as module, both are same) and get the following errors, when booting and when starting X:

dmesg output
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

I think the interesting parts are these:

From dmesg:
Code:
[   13.798332] savu 0003:1E7D:2D5A.0007: timeout initializing reports
[   13.798371] input: ROCCAT ROCCAT Savu as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.8/2-1.8:1.1/input/input12
[   13.812151] input: failed to attach handler kbd to device input12, error: -16
[   13.817150] sysrq: Failed to open input device, error -16
[   13.822149] input: failed to attach handler sysrq to device input12, error: -16
[   13.822191] savu 0003:1E7D:2D5A.0007: input,hidraw6: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [ROCCAT ROCCAT Savu] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.8/input1

From Xorg log:
Code:
[    26.922] (II) config/udev: Adding input device ROCCAT ROCCAT Savu (/dev/input/event8)
[    26.922] (**) ROCCAT ROCCAT Savu: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[    26.922] (**) ROCCAT ROCCAT Savu: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
[    26.922] (**) ROCCAT ROCCAT Savu: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[    26.922] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'ROCCAT ROCCAT Savu'
[    26.922] (**) ROCCAT ROCCAT Savu: always reports core events
[    26.922] (**) evdev: ROCCAT ROCCAT Savu: Device: "/dev/input/event8"
[    26.935] (EE) evdev: ROCCAT ROCCAT Savu: Unable to open evdev device "/dev/input/event8".
[    26.935] (EE) PreInit returned 2 for "ROCCAT ROCCAT Savu"

Please note, that the "Logitech USB Laser Mouse" was just attached to use X anyway. It works perfectly but it is kinda broken, so this is no permanent solution to me. The "Razer" keyboard leads the the same error, but works...

What I've tried:
- re-emerge some package, like xorg-server
- cat the different /dev/input/ devices. None of them reacts to mouse movement, or I get
Code:
cat: /dev/input/event8: Device or resource busy

/dev/input/event8 should be the event device of the ROCCAT mosue...
- rebuild the kernel with the roccat module sometimes
- experiment with Xorg config (see here), but I think, the problem occurs before X even starts (because of the dmesg output)
- Google, but the error messages don't lead me to anything useful :(

Now the Xorg config is default again apart from German keyboard layout.

I am far away from being an Linux expert, so I'm out of ideas.
Thanks for any suggestions. :)

P.S. I don't know whether these might be useful:
Kernel config
/proc/bus/input/devices
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know that: http://roccat.sourceforge.net/index.html

You can also take a look here: http://sourceforge.net/p/roccat/discussion/
Max_JD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know and studied the first linked page, but it contained nothing I found useful or helped me in this situation (the page was actually linked in my first post if you look carefully :) )

The official forum of the ROCCAT kmod driver developer also contained nothing that helped me any futher (althougth it might be possible that I overlook something, as I didn't read every single post). I thought, that the problem was more likely to be related to the Linux distribution, as the mouse works perfectly for me under Ubuntu. Therefore, I choose this forum over the mentioned one. But I will try to ask there, if I don't find a solution over the next days...

Thanks anyway :)
Max_JD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally sorted out my problem, but I can not really tell where it came from exactly. The idea was to start from a kernel config, where the mouse works (in my case I used the gentoo-minimal Install CD config). After the mouse worked I had to sort out, why the nvidia drivers were so laggy... -.-

The problem is basically that I always changed so many kernel config settings, that I can hardly tell where all these problems came from. I will just post my working kernel config:

working kernel config

If anyone wants to "spot the difference" I would be happy to know where exactly the behavior origins :) I think the only module I ever changed on HID devices themself is the Battery status module (whicht I don't compile anymore).

The solution to this problem is the way described above.

Edit:
Oh. and much thanks go to Dominique as you can see here: https://sourceforge.net/p/roccat/discussion/989581/thread/ae60665c/
AstroFloyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a kernel message in dmesg similar to this for a wireless keyboard, where the keyboard worked but the trackpad didn't:
Code:
kernel: input: failed to attach handler kbd to device input27, error: -16

It turned out this only happened when using one (ehci-pci) of my four USB ports for the wireless dongle; when using one of the other three USB ports (both ehci-pci and xhci_hcd), both keyboard and trackpad worked fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: