View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: GNOME 3.12 arrival Reply with quote

Not to hassle the hard-working developers but when might 3.12 be coming to portage ?
Moonboots
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward also to Gnome 3.12 :)
But i think we have to wait for 3.10 to be stabilized and of course the usual testing in it's overlay before unmasking etc.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In its current state; unofficially there is https://github.com/Heather/gentoo-gnome which is at 3.12, officially I think the bumping still has to start. The reason the gnome-next overlay isn't used for bumping is because its standards for bumping and quality assurance are lower than what is expected for the Portage tree; therefore, the GNOME team bumps it on their own to ensure the bumps to be of higher quality. Bumping it can take quite some time; consider the size of a desktop environment, carefully bumping over 50 packages can keep you busy for a long while... (Disclaimer: I'm not a GNOME team member, this is the view from someone standing outside)
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonboots wrote:
But i think we have to wait for 3.10 to be stabilized and of course the usual testing in it's overlay before unmasking etc.

Look again Moonboots, 3.10 is stable. Maybe you need to update portage? lol.

I think it has been the quickest Gnome release to achieve stable in the history of Gentoo.

The devs have done an AMAZING job and served us all proud!
Moonboots
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thistled wrote:
Moonboots wrote:

I think it has been the quickest Gnome release to achieve stable in the history of Gentoo.

I have been using 3.10 happily for a while :D Perhaps it was my poor english, but i was refering to 3.12 in the gnome overlay.

Indeed the devs do an excellent job, but i suspect that their definition of stable is not quite the same as what you or i think :wink:

There is still a open bug for 3.10 to stabilize https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=499954
Moonboots
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packages are beginning to trickle into the offfical gnome-overlay :)
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packages are arriving but have been hard-masked for over a week now.
shadywack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thistled wrote:
Moonboots wrote:

The Gentoo devs are amazingly proactive. The testing standards and QA that goes into stabilizing stuff like this is pretty high. I'm very thankful for the devs, we've got some pretty awesome people putting their time into this. It's very appreciated.
Eong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already using Gnome 3.12, the only problem is that the theme doesn't work properly.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eonghk/14179765720/
The close button can't be replaced. It doesn't happen on arch and ubuntu according to the theme author.
JohnY
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got gnome 3.12 running as well, but gdm won't run (and didn't in 3.10 either). I'm seeing large memory leaks to the point that in the space of 3 to 5 hours all 3gb of ram is used up (32bit x86), swap is all used up, and new programs can't be started.... Been poking around bugs.gnome.org without finding a solution or workaround so far.

JohnY
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Got gnome 3.12 running as well, but gdm won't run (and didn't in 3.10 either).

Just an aside, I'm on 3.10 and gdm works for me
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnY wrote:
Got gnome 3.12 running as well, but gdm won't run (and didn't in 3.10 either). I'm seeing large memory leaks to the point that in the space of 3 to 5 hours all 3gb of ram is used up (32bit x86), swap is all used up, and new programs can't be started.... Been poking around bugs.gnome.org without finding a solution or workaround so far.

See if you can run it through valgrind (or at the very least attach it) to gain more debugging information to report in a bug.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Valgrind

As for GDM, the `journalctl -rb` output after starting GDM might shed some details (-r: reverse, -b: current boot); feel free to share and we'll try to see if we can find something by comparing it to a working boot. What part of it doesn't start? Black screen?
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seeing a gradual increase in memory usage in Gnome 3.12, though it was also there in 3.10.

It looks like the same thing as this Red Hat bug:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=977387

I haven't done any detailed experiments on my system to find out what triggers it, but a main memory culprit according to top is definitely gnome-shell.
vasettoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had memory leak problem on Gnome 3.10 while using rtorrent in screen - the process used the whole 4GB of RAM in just half a day activity no matter if it's seeding/downloading or not. Now with transmission all is well with my RAM usage.
JohnY
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out that most of the memory leak that I was seeing was caused by the gnome-system-monitor extension. This was also mentioned later in this thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-994606.html. There is still some leakage without gnome-shell-extension, but at a much slower rate. GDM still not working here, even with xf86-video-ati-7.4.0 and everything recompiled with new gcc (Gentoo 4.8.3 p1.1, pie-0.5.9) 4.8.3.

Haven't setup valgrind yet.... been moving an old HP NetServer with a disk array that has been spinning for more than 10 years... some drama there... (SCO Openserver....ouch)

JohnY
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: