View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: try to install systemd "failed to get D-Bus connection. Reply with quote

Hi,

I have followed this guide http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd but when I type systemctl I get the above failure.
At the moment I do not have any graphic or desktop environment - after systemd will be working I plan to install gnome 3-
so now it is quite difficult to print down here the log files -
but let me know the needed log files or any other information and i will try to get it here.
I did not find any hint during googling this problem.
alexcortes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

First of all, wich profile are you using?

Code:
eselecet profile list

If you plan to use Gnome 3 my advise is to use:

Code:
default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd

if you will change the profile, then:

Code:
emerge -avuND world

It's a new installation?

Cheers.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexcortes Hi,

Sorry that I did not mention...
It is a new installation and I am quite new with gentoo, the profile is gnome/systemd as you wrote.
I also emerged 'dbus' and 'systemd' according the systemd tutorial and afterward:
Code:

emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse @world

I hope it is ok or I need also to add -avuND? - BTW what does it mean this parameter?

I added the 'init line' to grub and I assume that systemd is working,
but I do not know why I get the failure: "Failed to get D-b-Bus connection..." when I type 'systemctl'.

Please advise how can I debug this problem - may be I can find out something in the log files?

Thanks
alexcortes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, -avuND is the same plus -v is for verbose. :)

Try

Code:
ps -p 1 -o comm=

Should return systemd, otherwise you are not booting with systemd.

EDIT: if you are using a /systemd profile you don't need to direct install systemd and dbus, they should be installed automatically as system default.

Try:

Code:
emerge --deselect sys-apps/dbus sys-apps/systemd
emerge --depclean

If depclean remove systemd and dbus the profile are not corrected linked to the systemd one, try to set it again and

Code:
emerge -avuND world

PS. --deselect mean to remove the package from the world set.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Alexcortes,

It is a good idea to type
Code:
ps -p 1 -o comm=
-
The output is: 'init' -So as you said it means that not booting with systemd -
How should I fix it? I added to grub2 this line:
"init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" so I do not know why still boot with 'init'.

Yes, I am using gnome/systemd profile.
After
Code:
emerge --deselect sys-apps/dbus sys-apps/systemd

I get a message that remove these 2 apps, but after
Code:
emerge --depclean
the message is that nonthing removed.
What do you mean
Quote:
try to set it again
?
Should I emerge systemd and dbus again and afterward
Code:
emerge -avuND world
?

Please explain me when I should use the parameter -avuND?
Is it the same as: --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse?

Thanks
alexcortes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

"-avuND" mean "--ask --verbose --update --newuse --deep" on this way you can see whats going on.

Quote:
"Failed to get D-b-Bus connection..."

usually happens when you are not booting with systemd. I believe you didn't update grub before reboot.

You should add "init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" on GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub. Then:

Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

to update grub.cfg with the new configuration, otherwise the modifications will not have any effect. If you change grub.cfg directly (not advisable), you will lost that configurations when you update grub.

When you set a systemd profile you should get systemd as default so usually you don't need to install it - thats the part I think is being weird.
Using a profile like ...gnome/systemd you should be able to install gnome with systemd and dependecies without needing to change any USE flag (except for some circular dependencies).

Try to fix this way.

Update grub as I said before and:

Code:
emerge --sync (or eix-sync if you have eix installed)
emerge -avuND system world
emerge -avuND gnome-light (emerge -avuND gnome - what you prefer)
emerge --depclean

And you will see if the systemd USE flag are on by default.
Then reboot. :)
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Alexcortes,

You are great! I run grub2 and now it is booting with systemd...
BTW- Can I add this line to the kernel (instead to grub) with "Processor type and features" -> "Built-in kernel command line" - Is it working?

However, I do not understand your comment:
Quote:
thats the part I think is being weird

because according systemd guide I need to install dbus and sytemd as written below:
Quote:
Installation

sys-apps/systemd contains udev and, then, you can safely let sys-fs/udev be removed as systemd will be the provider for virtual/udev.

sys-apps/systemd and sys-apps/dbus have a circular dependency which necessitates a 2-stage installation.

Install sys-apps/dbus with USE="-systemd" (do not add sys-apps/dbus -systemd to package.use, this USE change is only temporary). This is probably already done if you have a working desktop environment.
Enable the systemd USE flag globally (make.conf) and install sys-apps/systemd. This may also be accomplished by a world update.

Do you say that it is not necessary?

After I emerge --deselect dbus and systemd - should I do something or just do all the emerge commands that you wrote me in your last post?

Anyway - Now systemd is working so I will try to go ahead and complete the gnome installation... :lol:

Thanks
alexcortes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pmam

Quote:
BTW- Can I add this line to the kernel (instead to grub) with "Processor type and features" -> "Built-in kernel command line" - Is it working?

I never tryed it to be sure, but I believe it will work. I'll try later anyway. :)
If you try and not work you will get a kernel panic. Just press "e" on grub window, add the init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd on the kernel line and F10 to boot.

The gnome and kde systemd profiles are recent, I believe the wiki article is older than that. On these profiles, systemd are default dependency and it should be automatically installed when you install the base system so you don't need to add that on your world packages (mean call emerge to direct install systemd).

Now you just have to:

Code:
emerge --sync (or eix-sync)
emerge -avuND world (leave your system fully updated)
OR emerge -e world (advisable if it is a *really* new installation - will rebuild your entire system with all your new settings)
emerge --depclean
emerge -av gnome-light (or emerge -av gnome)

then emerge the orthers packages you want.

P.S
app-portage/eix is a very usefull package to deal with ebuilds (search, update portage tree, etc.)
gnome-base/gnome-light is a very basic gnome installation so you can install just what you want. :)

Cheers!
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Alexcortes,

I had installed gnome (the full version) before asking your support in this topic,
and after finished all the emerge that you told me to do, I started the service gdm and WOWWWW -
gnome is working!!! I already familiar with kde that I have with SUSE -
so now I am trying to get use to gnome - so far it looks very nice and well organized.

Thanks a lot for your wonderful support - I am really appreciate your fast analysing and your great advises!!!

Since I am quite new with gentoo, every line that you wrote worth me a lot -
during this topic you gave me, BTW, an important information - now I need to grasp it.

This post is written from the new gnome - I think you can smell the freshness although far a way from me... :lol:

Again Thanks and have a nice day!
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Alexcortes,

Quote:
EDIT: if you are using a /systemd profile you don't need to direct install systemd and dbus, they should be installed automatically as system default.

Are you sure that systemd profile do it by default? After facing with some problems with gnome/systemd, I decided to re-install gentoo with gnome/systemd profile and again - I need to manualy emerge dbus (by add -systemd USE flag) and afterward to emerge systemd as written in Systemd guide -
Quote:
Installation
sys-apps/systemd contains udev and, then, you can safely let sys-fs/udev be removed as systemd will be the provider for virtual/udev.
sys-apps/systemd and sys-apps/dbus have a circular dependency which necessitates a 2-stage installation.
Install sys-apps/dbus with USE="-systemd" (do not add sys-apps/dbus -systemd to package.use, this USE change is only temporary). This is probably already done if you have a working desktop environment.
Enable the systemd USE flag globally (make.conf) and install sys-apps/systemd. This may also be accomplished by a world update. The consolekit USE flag should also be disabled to prevent conflicts with the systemd-logind service. You can also switch to a systemd subprofile to use saner USE flags defaults not needing to change make.conf:

Please be a ware that this is a new installation rather than a system that has already DE working - as I underlined in the above quote!

Maybe I miss something important so I would like to know how to do it right - When I choose systemd profile - Do I need to add systemd and dbus USE flags manually to /etc/portage/make.conf or it should be done by default?

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: