Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Long time to boot, after changing grub2 conf.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caaarlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Long time to boot, after changing grub2 conf. Reply with quote

Hello,

Today morning I recompiled my kernel because I was having some delay, about 1,5 min, on my system's boot (switching to clocksource tsc), so I included on external firmwares on Device Drivers --> Generic Driver Options --> Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary (radeon/R700_rlc.bin radeon/RV710_me.bin radeon/RV710_pfp.bin radeon/RV710_smc.bin radeon/RV710_uvd.bin ), before I do it, I had only radeon/R700 on kernel and a boot delay of 1,5 min, so I add these firmwares to this kernel option and the delay with "switching to clocksource tsc" stopped. But, this night I added radeon.audio=1 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX on /etc/default/grub and used grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg. After I did it my system delay returned, so I tried to removo radeon.audio=1 from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX, but the delay on switching to clocksource tsc continues...

This is what dmesg gives me, http://bpaste.net/show/184814/. Why my system can't load radeon/RV710_uvd.bin, if it exists on /libfirmware/radeon and this morning it was working?

Thanks!
caaarlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to remove all bin, but the same errors appers,

Code:
$ dmesg | grep Can
[   60.711845] radeon 0000:01:00.0: radeon_uvd: Can't load firmware "radeon/RV710_uvd.bin"

What I have to do to install these firmwares on my kernel compilation. I have to use make && make modules_install? Or there is another command to install firmwares?
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Check your kernel .config file instead Reply with quote

Check your kernel .config file again for CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE. Here's the relevant settings from mine as an example. I have TURKS class card in there at the moment, but this setup has some extra baggage from other cards and boxes I've had on hand.

Code:
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/BARTS_mc.bin radeon/BARTS_me.bin radeon/BARTS_pfp.bin radeon/BTC_rlc.bin radeon/CAICOS_mc.bin radeon/CAICOS_me.bin radeon/CAICOS_pfp.bin radeon/CAYMAN_mc.bin radeon/CAYMAN_me.bin radeon/CAYMAN_pfp.bin radeon/CAYMAN_rlc.bin radeon/CEDAR_me.bin radeon/CEDAR_pfp.bin radeon/CEDAR_rlc.bin radeon/CYPRESS_me.bin radeon/CYPRESS_pfp.bin radeon/CYPRESS_rlc.bin radeon/JUNIPER_me.bin radeon/JUNIPER_pfp.bin radeon/JUNIPER_rlc.bin radeon/R600_rlc.bin radeon/R700_rlc.bin radeon/PALM_me.bin radeon/PALM_pfp.bin radeon/REDWOOD_me.bin radeon/REDWOOD_pfp.bin radeon/REDWOOD_rlc.bin radeon/SUMO2_me.bin radeon/SUMO2_pfp.bin radeon/SUMO_me.bin radeon/SUMO_pfp.bin radeon/SUMO_rlc.bin radeon/TURKS_mc.bin radeon/TURKS_me.bin radeon/TURKS_pfp.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"

The CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL and CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR both need to be set as above. It's not enough to have the ucode in /lib/firmware. You need to build a new bzImage and then copy that to /boot as a new kernel file for the loading to happen properly at bootup.
caaarlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks vaxbrat for helping me!

This is my configuration

Code:
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/R700_rlc.bin radeon/RV710_me.bin radeon/RV710_pfp.bin radeon/RV710_smc.bin radeon/RV710_uvd.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"

Is there anything wrong?

I'll try to create a new bzImage...

Thanks again!!
caaarlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The make command give me this warnings...

Code:
/usr/src/linux-3.10.25-gentoo/firmware/Makefile:202: warning: overriding recipe for target `firmware/radeon/RV710_me.bin.gen.S'
/usr/src/linux-3.10.25-gentoo/firmware/Makefile:199: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `firmware/radeon/RV710_me.bin.gen.S'
/usr/src/linux-3.10.25-gentoo/firmware/Makefile:202: warning: overriding recipe for target `firmware/radeon/RV710_pfp.bin.gen.S'
/usr/src/linux-3.10.25-gentoo/firmware/Makefile:199: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `firmware/radeon/RV710_pfp.bin.gen.S'
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready  (#11)
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 11 modules
/usr/src/linux-3.10.25-gentoo/firmware/Makefile:202: warning: overriding recipe for target `firmware/radeon/RV710_me.bin.gen.S'
/usr/src/linux-3.10.25-gentoo/firmware/Makefile:199: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `firmware/radeon/RV710_me.bin.gen.S'
/usr/src/linux-3.10.25-gentoo/firmware/Makefile:202: warning: overriding recipe for target `firmware/radeon/RV710_pfp.bin.gen.S'
/usr/src/linux-3.10.25-gentoo/firmware/Makefile:199: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `firmware/radeon/RV710_pfp.bin.gen.S'
caaarlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a new bzImage but, same errors happens =(

Code:
$ dmesg | grep Can
[   60.710076] radeon 0000:01:00.0: radeon_uvd: Can't load firmware "radeon/RV710_uvd.bin"

What am I doing wrong?
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: line break? Reply with quote

It's interesting that the make doesn't show anything for either the 710_smc or the 710_uvd bin files. That EXTRA_FIRMWARE setting should have the quoted string all on the same line. Did nano or something thoughtfully decide to break that into two lines for you maybe?
caaarlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaxbrat, thanks again!

I do not understand what you are telling me...

This is a screenshot http://www.zimagez.com/zimage/screenshot-26-03-2014-140043.php

What do you think?
sebB
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try building ATI Radeon as module?
Code:
Device Driver
   -> Graphics support
      <M> ATI Radeon

and remove
Code:
[ ]   Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary
()    External firmware blobs to build into the kernel binary
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: partial build Reply with quote

In your pasted log I saw only the me and pfp binaries get .gen.S files logged. There are no corresponding logs for the other three blobs (rlc, smc and uvd). That causes me to think that your CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE string is messed up somehow or maybe those files are missing from the /lib/firmware/radeon directory.
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe
Quote:
make firmware_install
after making kernel will fix that ?
caaarlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for helping me, mir3x

This is the output:

Code:
# make firmware_install
make[1]: Nada a ser feito para `__fw_install'.

It not solved my problem. =(
caaarlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaxbrat,

this is my /lib/firmware folder

Code:
# ls /lib/firmware/radeon/RV710_*
/lib/firmware/radeon/RV710_me.bin   /lib/firmware/radeon/RV710_smc.bin
/lib/firmware/radeon/RV710_pfp.bin  /lib/firmware/radeon/RV710_uvd.bin

The firmwares are on the correct location, what do you think of what is my problem?

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: