thanks; the tar.gz patch worked fine, so I ran diff on the two patches

sure enough, the "bad" patch had one blank space added to the end of each
line which, I expect, was the source of the trouble (the patch was looking for
"nv-acpi.c " instead of "nv-acpi.c" ...
yuyuyak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was encouraged by ulenrich's post https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7498982.html#7498982
But it failed for me. It does appear that patch has been mangled passing from forum to forum, as ulenrich later suggests, the Nvidia discussion on the issue is here: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/686157/linux/334-16-won-t-compile-for-linux-v3-13-patch-included-/post/4117392/#4117392
This appears to be the original version of that patch: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/686157/linux/334-16-won-t-compile-for-linux-v3-13-patch-included-/post/4117484/#4117484
I haven't tried that one again but I did use this one: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/686157/linux/334-16-won-t-compile-for-linux-v3-13-patch-included-/post/4118475/#4118475
Seems to work at least as well as the older 331.38 patch. I have had an issue with what appears to me a confusion by the driver as to what buffer to use, mostly in bash and geany, a little in chromium. Occasionally flashes a few lines from one buffer to another a couple of times a second. Annoying, moving through the document eventually makes it go away. I see it with this patch too right after startup, but it seems to go away after that, it's intermittent so time will tell.
This is with kernel 3.13.2 and the 334.16-r5 driver, GeForce 8600M GS.
Edit: Oh and I meant to add, darkphader's issues with mesa are reminiscent of this bug with webkit-gtk & nvidia-drivers: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=463960
In that instance they also found changing opengl to xorg rather than invidia allowed the ebuild to install. Interesting.
Well, ignorance is bliss. I have now also the mesa problem and it does not go away by changing opengl to xorg. To be continued...
darkphader
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yuyuyak wrote:
This appears to be the original version of that patch: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/686157/linux/334-16-won-t-compile-for-linux-v3-13-patch-included-/post/4117484/#4117484
I haven't tried that one again but I did use this one: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/686157/linux/334-16-won-t-compile-for-linux-v3-13-patch-included-/post/4118475/#4118475

The patch I used and posted earlier in this thread came from https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/686157/334-16-won-t-compile-for-linux-v3-13-patch-included-/?offset=10.
Scroll down to post #11 where the claim is made "Btw, here's a much simpler one which also works on 3.14 (all the way back to 3.0)". I didn't try it with any earlier kernels.

Chris
yuyuyak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkphader wrote:
The patch I used and posted earlier in this thread came from https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/686157/334-16-won-t-compile-for-linux-v3-13-patch-included-/?offset=10.

Yes, it's the one I used. Actually I have now found that either of the patches, post #2 or #11 seem to work equally well for me, and it seems even the patch everyone was using for 331.38, I really can't tell any difference.
The issue I had with jumping text and flashing buffers appears to be more due to my gtk theme, for some reason with the new driver I often get a fallback gtk theme on boot :roll: and there are no issues then. So that problem should be stricken from this discussion.
I still have the mesa issue, won't install with opengl set to either setting. I'm almost certain I reinstalled it a couple of days ago when I was trying to solve the flashing text problem. For certain about a week ago it was reinstalled with the 331.38 driver, whole machine had the emerge -e @system @world done to it.
I had trouble returning to the 331.38 driver because of the libEGL and libGLES files being left behind when uninstalling the new driver. May have to look into trying that again.
darkphader
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yuyuyak wrote:
I had trouble returning to the 331.38 driver because of the libEGL and libGLES files being left behind when uninstalling the new driver. May have to look into trying that again.

Ran into that same issue after an initial install of 334 that didn't work (no patch). Had to manually remove some strangely named lib files to get back on track. I think the earlier 334.xx ebuilds were problematic.
yuyuyak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have solved the problem. I managed to downgrade to nvidia-drivers 304.119 :D
The problem with mesa is acquiring a healthy following: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=481316
I tried both of the fixes described there, neither of them worked for me. Worth a shot though. The easiest one is to emerge llvm with -ncurses.
I am the last poster there currently with 2 posts.
In regards to the issue of downgrading, on another thread here, regarding mesa I believe, lburns(? is it?) tells how to do it, worked great for me.
Install the older driver, in my case I had to 1st remove the new driver. Then it will give you a list of @preserved-rebuilds that need to be addressed. Rather than doing emerge @preserved-rebuild, do eselect opengl and select xorg and then select nvidia. Then remove /usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib/libEGL.so.1 and /usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib/libEGL.so.334.16. Problem solved, no pesky preserved-rebuilds to do and old driver now all good.
If you notice, some ebuilds will do that same eselect opengl trick, I saw it a bit ago, think it was mesa. Some magic happens there.
If you read my 2 posts on the bug, you'll see that although the initial issue seems to be with llvm, the nvidia driver plays a part as well. After downgrading, mesa still would not build, but using the -ncurses trick worked with the older driver.
Hmm, I just checked and my massive rebuild of the system was Feb. 2-ending just before Midnight on Feb. 3. There were no issues with mesa/llvm/nvidia then. Checking the emerge history I see this:
Code:
Wed Sep 25 20:54:12 2013 >>> sys-devel/llvm-3.3-r1
Sun Feb  2 22:33:43 2014 >>> sys-devel/llvm-3.3-r3
Mon Feb  3 01:24:19 2014 >>> sys-devel/llvm-3.4
Mon Feb  3 01:31:41 2014 >>> sys-devel/llvm-3.3-r3
Wed Feb  5 02:23:35 2014 >>> sys-devel/llvm-3.4
Wed Feb  5 11:21:54 2014 >>> sys-devel/llvm-3.3-r3
Thu Feb  6 04:35:00 2014 >>> sys-devel/llvm-3.4
So it may be worth downgrading llvm until the dust settles. There are no anomalies in that time period with the other two. FYI
yuyuyak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug filed on the mesa problem: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=501328
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@yuyuyak
Had the same problem with mesa-9.2.5 and nvidia-drivers-334.16-r5.
In desperation I unmasked mesa-10.0.3 and it compiles fine.
It pulls in some other packages
Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies  .... done!
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/libxshmfence-1.1  USE="-static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 285 kB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/dri3proto-1.0  ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-proto/presentproto-1.0  ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 kB
[ebuild     U #] media-libs/mesa-10.0.3 [9.2.5] USE="classic egl gallium llvm nptl -bindist -debug -gbm -gles1 -gles2 -llvm-shared-libs -opencl -openvg -osmesa -pax_kernel -pic -r600-llvm-compiler (-selinux) -vdpau -wayland -xa -xvmc (-xorg%)" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" VIDEO_CARDS="(-freedreno) -i915 -i965 -ilo -intel -nouveau -r100 -r200 -r300 -r600 -radeon -radeonsi -vmware" 6,631 kB

Total: 4 packages (1 upgrade, 3 new), Size of downloads: 6,915 kB

Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
yuyuyak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gerald82

Thank you for the information, I did see it at the time, but had nothing of value to add.
Actually I still do not have much, except to add the 10.x mesa series compiles fine for me with the new driver. I have other issues with the nvidia-drivers-334.x series though that keeps me from using them.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, can someone give be a hint about all of the mesa USE flags!
Howto optimize for Kde and using proprietary nvidia drivers?
How are they related:
egl gallium lvm lvm-shared-libs opencv ....
Is there a wiki explaining?
Code:
$ uname -r ; emerge -p -1 xorg-drivers nvidia-drivers xorg-server mesa
3.13.6-1001.bfs

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies  ... done!
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/mesa-10.1.0  USE="-bindist classic -debug dri3 egl -gallium -gbm -gles1 gles2 -llvm -llvm-shared-libs nptl -opencl -openvg -osmesa -pax_kernel -pic -r600-llvm-compiler (-selinux) vdpau -wayland -xa -xvmc" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" VIDEO_CARDS="(-freedreno) -i915 -i965 -ilo -intel -nouveau -r100 -r200 -r300 -r600 -radeon -radeonsi -vmware" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.15  INPUT_DEVICES="-acecad -aiptek -elographics evdev -fpit -hyperpen -joystick -keyboard -mouse -mutouch -penmount -synaptics -tslib -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="-apm -ast -chips -cirrus -dummy -epson -fbdev -fglrx (-freedreno) (-geode) -glint -i128 (-i740) -intel -mach64 -mga -modesetting -neomagic -nouveau -nv nvidia (-omap) (-omapfb) -qxl -r128 -radeon -radeonsi -rendition -s3virge -savage -siliconmotion -sisusb (-sunbw2) (-suncg14) (-suncg3) (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo) (-suntcx) -tdfx -tga -trident -tseng -v4l -vesa -via -virtualbox -vmware (-voodoo)" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.15.0:0/1.15.0  USE="-dmx -doc ipv6 -kdrive -minimal nptl (-selinux) -static-libs -suid -tslib udev -unwind -xnest xorg -xvfb" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-334.21  USE="X acpi (multilib) -pax_kernel tools -uvm" 0 kB
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:
Please, can someone give be a hint about all of the mesa USE flags!
Howto optimize for Kde and using proprietary nvidia drivers?

Code:
acoswt@PrimaPratica ~ $ equery depends mesa
 * These packages depend on mesa:
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-opengl-20131008 (media-libs/mesa)
                                             (abi_x86_32 ? media-libs/mesa[abi_x86_32(-)])
dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r1 (egl ? media-libs/mesa[egl])
kde-base/kwin-4.11.5 (opengl ? >=media-libs/mesa-7.10)
                     (gles ? >=media-libs/mesa-7.12[egl(+),gles2])
                     (wayland ? >=media-libs/mesa-9.0[egl(+),wayland])
virtual/glu-9.0 (<media-libs/mesa-9)
virtual/opengl-7.0 (media-libs/mesa)
www-client/firefox-24.2.0 (>=media-libs/mesa-7.10)
x11-apps/mesa-progs-8.1.0 (media-libs/mesa[egl?,gles1?,gles2?])
x11-base/xorg-server-1.14.3-r2 (!minimal ? >=media-libs/mesa-8[nptl=])
x11-libs/cairo-1.12.14-r4 (gles2 ? media-libs/mesa[gles2])
                          (opengl ? media-libs/mesa[egl])
                          (openvg ? media-libs/mesa[openvg])
                          (gallium ? media-libs/mesa[gallium])
x11-libs/gtk+-3.8.7 (wayland ? media-libs/mesa[wayland])

Tells me that kwin gets no special requirements regarding mesa (apart from those using the experimental wayland support)
However, you are likely to get cairo +opengl installed on your system in which case, you'll need mesa +egl, and if you get cairo +openvg, then you'll need mesa +openvg.
ulenrich wrote:
How are they related: egl gallium lvm lvm-shared-libs opencv ....

then ebuild for my 9.1.6 tells me how they are related :
Code:
REQUIRED_USE="
   llvm?   ( gallium )
   openvg? ( egl gallium )
   gbm?    ( shared-glapi )
   gles1?  ( egl )
   gles2?  ( egl )
   r600-llvm-compiler? ( gallium llvm || ( video_cards_r600 video_cards_radeon ) )
   wayland? ( egl )
   xa?  ( gallium )
   xorg?  ( gallium )
   video_cards_intel?  ( || ( classic gallium ) )
   video_cards_i915?   ( || ( classic gallium ) )
   video_cards_i965?   ( classic )
   video_cards_nouveau? ( || ( classic gallium ) )
   video_cards_radeon? ( || ( classic gallium ) )
   video_cards_r100?   ( classic )
   video_cards_r200?   ( classic )
   video_cards_r300?   ( gallium )
   video_cards_r600?   ( gallium )
   video_cards_radeonsi?   ( gallium llvm )
   video_cards_vmware? ( gallium )

(setting llvm or openvg needs gallium to be set...)

As far as I am concerned with kde-4.11.5 + cairo + opengl + nvidia-drivers, I have mesa installed +egl, +nptl, +python_single_target_python2_7, +python_targets_python2_7, +shared-glapi, +vdpau
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:
cairo +openvg, then you'll need mesa +openvg.
(setting llvm or openvg needs gallium to be set...)
As far as I am concerned with kde-4.11.5 + cairo + opengl + nvidia-drivers, I have mesa installed +egl, +nptl, +python_single_target_python2_7, +python_targets_python2_7, +shared-glapi, +vdpau
Thanks aCOSwt!
As you can see mesa-10 obsoleted shared-glapi!

I have a fine system running smoothly. But I want to know more about newer developments, where there is talk about everywhere but never explained:
- Is gallium (gallium3d?) only important for opensource drivers?
- llvm pipes can be used when not having any drm drivers available?

I find it hard to tell myself sometimes what of these make sense together. I have recently seen a bug in our bugtracker to widen further the possibilities by introducing more of USE flags regarding graphics. I feel overwhelmed ....

For example just read about the new anouncenment of the OpenGles-3.1 specification: Which is Opengl-4.0 but mobile.
:( ;) ;(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: