Flawless Install No NIC detected
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad0r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Flawless Install No NIC detected Reply with quote

Sorry for my terrible English. I am a first time Linux user and I've been reading a lot about it and wanted to switch to a good distro so I decided to go with Gentoo. Followed everything in the installation handbook and I had internet with the LiveCD and it simply was amazing Installation was successful. I reboot the computer and I was able to log into the system and everything was fine until I tried to emerge "gnome" I found out that I had no Internet connection. So I started searching here in the forums and other places to see what could be. Nothing helped. So I tried another installation to see if I did something wrong so system started and before rebooting I found out my "Ethernet" name was eno1 when I did ifconfig -a in the LiveCD. My motherboard is an ASUS MAXIMUS VI Heroe and my ethernet controller is
Code:
Communication Controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-V (rev 05)

I tried modprobe e1000 (nothing happened)
I tried modprobe e100 (nothing happened)
also tried this one 8139too (nothing either)

I'm I suppose to do something after I modprobe?
I also added those two to /etc/conf.d/modules
Code:
modules_2_6="e1000"
modules_2_6="e100"
modules_2_6="8139too"

I've tried all those without success

Is there anything I can do to make this work? I really don't want to give up on this, any help would be greatly appreciated it and sorry for posting if it's in the wrong section new to Linux and first time posting something!
UX.MAN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mad0r, welcome to Gentoo Linux!

If you append the lspci command with the -k option when booting from the LiveCD, you will be able to see what are the actual loaded modules for your devices. The line that you will have to pay attention to is
Quote:
Kernel driver in use
below
Quote:
Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-V (rev 05)

This line will tell you what is the actual loaded kernel module for your ethernet device. Once you know what kernel module is requiered, you will have to make sure that the module is compiled in your kernel; it could be compiled as module or built in.
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I join the conversation? :-) I hope I don't mud the waters, but I'm in the exact same situation, except my card is wireless. Also new user to Gentoo, though I've used Gnu/Linux before.

I've tried that solution, ux.man, in fact my card was the only one genkernel did not include automatically to the kernel. :roll: I didn't use that -k option though, people may want to add that to the handbook if necessary?

In my case, I have to use wpa_supplicant for the wireless protocol, and I just discovered iwconfig is from wireless-tools thus I can't confirm the interface name wlp1s7 stayed the same (and thus is not being found with that name).. perhaps that's the problem and I had to emerge both wpa and wireless-tools, in which case the handbook was a bit misleading making me choose ("prefer") wpa over wt... :?

And mad0r, hang in there dude :) I also almost gave up with some problems compiling the kernel but the people here were truly helpful, we are almost there! :D If you need, I can help with the Spanish <-> English. :wink:
UX.MAN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MarcoMarin

What is the problem you are experiencing?
Unless your wireless card's manufacturer provided the driver's source code and is embedded into Linux kernel, you will need an extra piece of software blob, which will make your card work. Make sure you follow the Gentoo's Wifi wiki instructions; it will take you to the right direction.

I would suggest that if it is your first time installing something on Gentoo, you firstly check the Gentoo Wiki, secondly search on this forum to see if someone might have asked your questions before, and lastly open up a new thread detailing what is going on.
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UX.MAN wrote:
@MarcoMarin

What is the problem you are experiencing?

Apparently, the kernel is not loading the right module, but I'm pretty sure it is there...
Quote:
Unless your wireless card's manufacturer provided the driver's source code and is embedded into Linux kernel, you will need an extra piece of software blob, which will make your card work. Make sure you follow the Gentoo's Wifi wiki instructions; it will take you to the right direction.

Thanks, that was exactly what I needed. It mentions the kernel options I should enable. However, everything there was already on, unless the * is really needed instead of only modularizing it. (that's why I said I'm pretty sure it is a module not loading).. The list doesn't mention it and the kernel has it, so I don't think it needs a firmware blob, you think?
Quote:
I would suggest that if it is your first time installing something on Gentoo, you firstly check the Gentoo Wiki, secondly search on this forum to see if someone might have asked your questions before, and lastly open up a new thread detailing what is going on.

I did :-) and I've found this one. I hope by describing how I go about this, it would also help illuminate mad0r path to the solution as well, since the problems are so similar?

Anyway, there is another possibility for the problem. Maybe the driver even is loading correctly, I see no specifics under dmesg (though I forgot to lspci on the actual install, will do that next). But what I do see is it failing to find the "interface" named wlp1s7... however, I discovered that name using iwconfig, and I discovered this program is from wireless-tools which does not support WPA and so was substituted by wpa_supplicant. The name worked under the liveCD, but maybe this is only because both packages were available there? :?

I'm not sure how to discover the name of interfaces using wpa_supplicant, but the page you linked says "ifconfig -a" should work... but it is only showing the ethernet and the config name (lo) I added to rc (rc-update add) under the handbook instructions. I can't understand very well that link about "automatic interface names" :( but if it was named wlp1s7, and if this was automatic, then why would it change at all after install?

So, it looks like a module not loading...
If anyone needs more detail, I'll be glad to provide. Currently what I have is that the liveCD detected a realTek 8185 and used the driver for the 8180. It was working fine. After compilation, there is a rtl818x under modules, but not even forcing it in "conf.d/modules" is working. :cry:

Any ideas?

thanks again.
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcoMarin wrote:

.. The list doesn't mention it and the kernel has it, so I don't think it needs a firmware blob, you think?

Confirmed it is there. Here's how I've done it...

following other threads here, tried emerging the linux-firmware anyway. Didn't work, it is being blocked by the radeon ucode (or something :? ).

tried going more specific, emerging rtl8180, or net-wireless/rtl8180 (IIRC). Didn't work either, something about keywords.. tried following that page's instructions about accept_keywords, using both the rtl8180 name and the suggested one by emerge. Didn't work. The suggested one isn't even a valid "atom"... :?

Finally tried rebooting (net is only on the liveCD, of course) and running lspci on the installed system, it wasn't there, had to emerge pciutils... gotta reboot again (back to the net enabled livecd), change primary boot disk on the bios (can't convince syslinux to boot the other disk), go for the unetbootin Gentoo livecd image (don't have a cd drive on this box). Mounted, Chrooted, Emerged the thing, reboot again (quit livecd), change disks in bios, boot installation, lspci in it and,..... the output is identical to the liveCD lspci output, further confirming the firmware is already there.

Let alone this:
http://rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net/

It is already in the kernel.. mac80211 stack is already there too.. following another thread, emerged rfkill, though I see no use for it (it was in the kernel as well anyway)

The most frustrating part about the particular problem of not having "net working" is to have to boot the livecd again to emerge stuff, specially in the setup I described above.. :cry: After the box is connected, other problems would be less annoying...

So, from https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi, I would now (and since the beginning it seems) be at the testing stage.
But ifconfig does not show the interface, just like it does on the livecd.

I don't see anything on dmesg either, any particular string to look for?

:?: Why on earth doesn't the driver expose the card to ifconfig??? :?:
UX.MAN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you open a new thread and explain your issue again? Let's leave this space to the original poster's question.
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh.. ok, sorry. Will do. : )
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: