looking for a basic video editting utility [ffmpeg]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: looking for a basic video editting utility [ffmpeg] Reply with quote

I'm looking for a basic video editting tool, CLI or GUI
the only type of editing I'll be doing is making videos shorter, or to be more precise I'll be removing parts from the video
I'm using xfce, I already have plenty of gtk & qt applications installed as well as ffmpeg and gstreamer
something minimalistic with little dependencies would be great as well

thanks

Last edited by Adel Ahmed on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://xmodulo.com/2014/03/good-video-editing-software-linux.html
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

If CLI is fine, and only parts are to be used from a file, then I might suggest ffmpeg. I used to use almost exclusively avidemux, but it did have its quirks, and the development status seemed a but “unstable” so I have no idea really what it's like now. I should look into it. It's probably doing fine!

I never really got into Cinelerra. It's probably the most one can get in terms of a big software like that, but I think it might be more (notoriously?) unstable than anything else. I don't think it quite did what I wanted, ever, but I can't remember too well... another personal note to look into.

Kdenlive I also tried briefly, but something about its exporting/saving options didn't please me, I think.

The link XavierMiller provided speaks of many I don't even recall seeing before. That's more things to look into!

Thank you!

Back to ffmpeg. For quite some time it seems that I've done with it more and more, instead of any front-ends. It's used to be a bit scary to say the least, as it can be difficult to remember the syntax of commands unless one uses it often enough. There is the manual, of course, to remind one about them. The bar is set high no doubt, but it's not completely out of reach, and I don't remember ever regretting any of the time I put into learning the beast's ways.

For simple 'cut and paste' work, one doesn't need to remember much.

Code:
ffmpeg -i input_file -ss 5 -to 10 -codec copy output_file

This should take the 5 seconds from 5 to 10 in the input_file and, without re-encoding, put it into the output_file. There is a caveat that, without re-encoding, I believe it will use key-frames. This means the clip may not be exactly from 5-second mark to the 10-second mark. For better accuracy, re-encoding is a must. I think.

Just a few, quick thoughts!
Adel Ahmed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much everyone
but I guest I'll go with ffmpeg, once you get the command right everything goes smoothly
ffmpeg -i input_file -ss 5 -t 10 -codec copy output_file

thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: