Gentoo v Arch for a low end gaming laptop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XDroidie626
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Gentoo v Arch for a low end gaming laptop Reply with quote

Okay so I got a new laptop recently and have been debating between arch and gentoo I understand the basics between arch and gentoos, binary and source etc but I would like to know is there any real benefit to performance with source?
I'm looking for a friendly and non biased answer I know arch has a brief comparison but I would like something more in depth.
Thanks! :)
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>any real benefit to performance with source?
Yes but I'd say there is an equal chance for performance to degrade though and most of the time (imo) the answer is "no" :lol:. Personally I wouldn't waste my time with Gentoo for such a purpose, chances are building gcc will take more time then you could claw back through performance increases in your entire lifetime of machine usage, let alone the time taken building and maintaining the whole system.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahem arch strong arms you into using systemd. we provide far more choice. with that, you can choose to make a fast system, or you can choose to make mistakes. i would argue that stability, and flexability are vastly superior to speed trading those off. you may use systemd here or openrc... i think busybox is next on the menu. sources take time to compile, binaries are pre compiled for you.
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

666threesixes666 wrote:
ahem arch strong arms you into using systemd.

It's fairly easy easy to swap it out on Arch for other things (even openrc+eudev) - I do swap it out on a test machine myself, Arch strong arms systemd default no more then Gentoo strong arms OpenRC as a default ;)

Also I'm not sure what any of this new anti-systemd-gentoo-choice-advertisement-mantra has to do with what OP is asking about.
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo v Arch for a low end gaming laptop Reply with quote

XDroidie626 wrote:
I'm looking for a friendly and non biased answer

Friendly for sure... non biased... hmmm... I can't promise. :lol:

The most significant difference you can observe on a gaming system does not really comes from building from sources or not.
It comes from : The kernel.

The kernel I recommend is of course the ck-sources (The best package money can't buy).

arch and gentoo both offer ck-patched kernels.
and arch's maintainer is quite active and re-active, while gentoo's maintainer is more... lazy!

The significant difference is when arch takes great care of offering high version numbers, gentoo takes care of offering high release numbers.
In other words :
- if you want to be able to upgrade your kernel as soon as a new version of the kernel is released then go arch !
- if you prefer staying on a longterm kernel branch or get the highest release of last stable kernel, then go gentoo !

Last edited by aCOSwt on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo v Arch for a low end gaming laptop Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:
The most significant difference you can observe on a gaming system does not really comes from building from sources or not.
It comes from : The kernel.

The kernel I recommend is of course the ck-sources (The best package money can't buy).

OK, I'm interested, but not sold just yet. Any benchmarks for ck-sources gaming relevance?
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo v Arch for a low end gaming laptop Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Any benchmarks for ck-sources gaming relevance?

I indeed have the intention of putting online the results of my own benchmarks which highlight the most significant differences towards a plain linux kernel.
Some are just 8O incredible (when running specific parts of sysbench) ! Particularly since 3.0
In the mean time, and because I know you like running things on your own :wink: , you can start with :
ck's interbench-0.31
and take special attention to Desired Cpu and Deadlines Met figures with Gaming or X simulated load.
Take care with interbench rt tests, if your system is particularly powerful, figures might well fall under the radar and give absurdly good values.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: