Gentoo Zen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbr28
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Zen Reply with quote

Has anyone else reached the state with Gentoo where you just stop caring about all the 'little' issues? Early on I used to be more concerned with odd things that would crop up now and then, but after many years I've gotten to the point I just don't care. Of course I'm talking about a home machine, not a production server. I always see problems with emerge -Dupv world, and I've gotten kind of indifferent to most of them. It seems like every time I run that I end up with something that is supposed to be downgraded, and most of the time it just isn't worth the effort to figure out whether it's really necessary or not (usually it's not). The same goes for circular dependencies and other issues. Even revdep-rebuild which I used to rely on all the time, I've come to care less about. I think part of that change also comes from having dealt with so many issues over the years and having the confidence that pretty much anything is relatively trivial to fix in Gentoo, if/when it does break. If an application doesn't launch or I encounter errors when I try to use some obscure feature that I never used before, then I deal with those kinds of issues, but in general I've just come to realize that for the most part, without really gross oversights, things just continue to work. I'd be curious to hear if others have reached this state of indifference, laziness, whatever you want to call it, as I think in general Gentoo attracts the obsessed techie type, that will spend all day tweaking or troubleshooting, and I say that knowing that I was definitely like that when I started and can still be that way when it comes to getting something to work that I really want or need.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only take two problems seriously:

1) Security issues

2) Packages that disappear from the tree, because they may present hidden security issues

Everything else, as you say, depends on necessary functionality.
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years Gentoo/Portage has come a long way too.
Red hat uses it for engineering and google for chromium OS.
There has got to be some merit in this system :P
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbr28,
Instead of using -Dupv world use -DNupv world.
Use flags change over time.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
RAPHEAD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I can fully comprehend your relaxed attitude :)
I'm feeling largely the same way.
If something refuses to work like my Intel HDA / Alsa setup
after the last kernel or Alsa update, I'm looking forward to some future update
where things will work again. If I can clearly identify the cause of something, I post a bugreport of cause
but sometimes this is hardly possible without effort.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree, have been feeling that way for a few years now. Breakages have got much less, and I like to think Gentoo plays a large part in that, since everything runs as close to upstream as possible, and further we compile across so many different configurations, let alone platforms. Every installation is a slightly different testcase. And Gentoo users and bug-fixers/ATs are some of the most knowledgeable, and more than happy to dig into source; so feedback to upstream is usually pretty high-quality.

The other aspect is that when Gentoo users complain about bugs, it typically just means some upgrade won't build. It doesn't mean the currently running apps are borked. Of course we get app bugs too, but most of the discussion I read, here or on IRC, is actually the kind of discussion one would expect distribution-developers to have.

It helps to have a scripting mechanism in place to deal with upgrades, and the routine maintenance. A lot of users have their own custom setup, some of us collaborate on update (cli), and there's portato/porthole (latter in the tree, not sure what happened to former) which are discussed in #gentoo-guis.

BTW @Gerard, --changed-use (if you're not aware of it) is nicer for routine maintenance than -N imo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: