Opengl stuff freezes my machine, sometimes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Opengl stuff freezes my machine, sometimes Reply with quote

Hello.

I am using a radeon chip, more concretely this one:

Code:
# lspci|grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV380/M24 [Mobility Radeon X600].

This is working fine with the open driver, kms, gallium, et al. Mesa is 9.2.5, and my kernel is 3.13.1, as from kernel.org.

So far, I can operate normally, and opengl works, at least most times. However, in the past I got a couple of hard-lockups when running xscreensaver with opengl enabled.

I didn't pay much attention to it. I am not that interested in opengl screensavers, so I really didn't care. But now, I wanted to give enlightenment e18 a try. Besides some other annoyances, I found that it also locks. I can't see a clear pattern. It can happen just when mapping a new window or when alt-tabbing, I guess. It ocurred several times in a few days. The machine hard-locks. So, even if it's only e18 which fails, this is clearly an issue with the radeon driver. No use land app can hard lock a bug-free kernel.

What I wanted to ask is if someone around here has tips on debugging this. I'd like to report the problem, but I am not sure if I should go to the radeon mailing list, the kernel mailing list, the mesa mailing list or wherever else. Also, having some more info would be nice. But I really don't know how would I go about that, taking into account that vt's, ssh and core dumps are of no use here. I'd also like to know if any other radeon r300 user has this kind of problem.

Oh, by the way, the reason I use e18 (from an overlay) is that the e17 version in portage does not even boot enlightenment. The screen shuts down, but that's another story.

Thanks for reading.
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problem with r300, it was caused by agp being set on 8x, but forcing it to 4x or lower was solving that issue.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mir3x wrote:
I had similar problem with r300, it was caused by agp being set on 8x, but forcing it to 4x or lower was solving that issue.

Thanks for the info. I'll check this when I have the time. I assume this configuration is done at the "radeon" driver level, isn't it? :D
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u can do it under bios - do it - my bios was able setting agp with nvidia - but not with that radeon - it was locking on auto(8x)
first - that problem existed also under windows and there i found some solution
2nd - i dont remember if I was such noob or something was not working as it should with radeon.agpmode=x added to kernel options ( it was maybe 3 years ago, maybe i havent found it on google then :D ) but I hardcoded it in kernel - sounds really stupid now.

if your comp still uses agp - that is probably problem ( I guess its caused by some motherboard + radeon, mine was some cheap MSI)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an old laptop, a pavilion zd8000. So the bus is no doubt agp. If I can find something I'll report back, but now at least I have something to investigate. Thanks :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: