Thanks devs!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Thanks devs!!! Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I was really despairing about how much work it
took to maintain a gentoo system. I have 3 of them. If I had more, I'd be a
sysadmin and it would be my job, so it wouldn't be so bad.

The bad part about the endless duelling updates was that they would show up unannounced.

Right during crunch time.

Suddenly, something wouldn't launch, or it wouldn't boot after a regular update,
and you had *no idea* why. Frequently the fix involved recompiling hundreds of
packages (*cough* libjpeg *cough*), or finding one recalcitrant kernel parameter, that while new, was absolutely
required for the new driver updates that were already installed against the (now
obsolete and unusable kernel). AAARGH!

The #1 problem I used to have was missing a warning about old libraries in a big pile of
compile messages. Then I would get multiple mysterious things broken at once. Revdep-rebuild
didn't pick these up because the old libraries were still installed. Add to that packages
that stack on top of endless other packages in a long dependency chain, and if one has an issue, all stop
working silently. (*cough* CUPS *cough*).

First it was "eselect news", which warned of nasty upgrades coming down the pike.
Then the advent of "emerge @preserved-rebuild". Finally, many key packages are going through
upgrade cycles now without breaking their api, or at least providing a sane way of making the upgrade.
Remember how awful a gcc upgrade used to be?

Anyway, THANK YOU GENTOO DEVS!!!

Now I can keep a gentoo system, which I perversely enjoy, but not spend days at a time troubleshooting.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks devs!!! Reply with quote

jesnow wrote:
Remember how awful a gcc upgrade used to be?

Yes. :evil:

I've been through everything you've been through, and I also have to admit, things have gotten a lot better / more sane.

Just throwing this tip out here, in case it helps. For my old Gentoo systems, I'll upgrade them piecemeal, one package at a time. It's easier to watch things break that way. That's an obvious answer, I know, but here's what I run to step through everything:

Upgrade system:

Code:
for x in `eix -Ic --only-names --system`; do emerge -uN --ask $x; done

world is almost the same:

Code:
for x in `eix -Ic --only-names --world`; do emerge -uN --ask $x; done

The only problem is it doesn't work for packages that have a higher slot that's not installed, since it will always want to install that version.

Oh, one more thing -- if you want to put it in a shell script, you can have it capture Ctl-C so that you don't have to hit it 800 times to get out of a for loop. Also, make it accept arguments so that you can pass --system if you want, or just upgrade a certain package group (media-video/)

Code:
#/bin/bash
control_c() {
        exit 1
}

trap control_c SIGINT

for x in `eix -Ic --only-names $*`; do emerge -uN --ask $x; done

Sample runs:

Code:
# ./upgrade_box.sh --system
# ./upgrade_box.sh --world media-video/
etc..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: