View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: File manager that can umount without udisks Reply with quote

Hello.

I am in search of a file manager that can umount (using sudo, pumount or whatever) pendrives without relying in consolekit and/or udisks.

Some background: I've managed to get a minimal xfce installation that works quite well. I've merged xfce sucessfully without udisks, udev, consolekit nor policykit support. And it's working quite well for what it's worth. The migration to a kit-less system was a couple of weeks ago, and I have been living happy (happier than before anyway). uam automatically mounts the drives, and I can safely umount them as a user by using the command line pumount utility.

I have no problem with that in fact. But, sometimes, for reasons unknown, I miss-click onto that little arrow to the right of the drive icon in the thunar left panel, and that, in turn, makes the whole thunar instance crash, which is not nice.

All is probably due to the missing udev support in my thunar build. But, enabling udev in any xfce package will in turn pull back all the u-* and *-kit stuff which I no longer want.

Since the crashes are not acceptable for me, I just stick to dolphin and pcmanfm, and umount the fs's using pumount in command line, because neither of these will even list the usb drives when compiled *kill-less. This method works fine. I was just wondering if there's a fm out there that can use pmount, or that will let me define commands to umount the fs's. mc can do it (well, it can do everything but thumbnailing really, and I use it a lot), but I'd like a graphical one for the rare occasions I need to navigate a photo gallery (it's about the only task a GUI file manager makes some sense to me).

All the suggestions are welcome. Thanks for reading :)
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could give spacefm + udevil a try? Sounds like it may fit your needs here, I have been using the combo for quite some time myself but mainly just because it's a bloody good file manager imo ;)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, it looks very capable.

It took me a while to realize that to change from list to icons mode I have to right click the files panel. What I haven't been able to do, though, is to zoom in these preview icons. I guess I can live with that though, but having a zoom-in feature would be nice.

Thank you.

If anyone has suggestions, please, keep them coming :)
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacefm sound interesting.

Thanks
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
spacefm sound interesting.

Thanks

Small warning, the latest in portage uses gtk3 afiak, so you'll have to edit the ebuild to get gtk2 back, I thought about reporting a bug since I offer that choice where I package spacefm elsewhere but I came across another bug about preferring gtk3 over gtk2 on deps or options or some other crap I can't remember.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like they could have easily put a gtk3 USE flag and then allowed either 2 or 3.

I understand that gtk2 will go away but it's still used by a number of projects and they just put out the latest ebuild for gtk2 on jan 20.

Anyway thanks for mentioning spacefm and the gtk3 hickey.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one in stable is gtk2 for sure:

Code:

# ldd /usr/bin/spacefm|grep -i gtk
        libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0xb72e6000)

on a quick look, the one keyworded as ~x86 is indeed bound to gtk+-3, but if you say it can be compiled with 2.x it won't take but a minute to adapt the ebuild ;)

I'll check if that fixes a couple of little but annoying bugs I've stumped in.
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup that's what I thought about filing a bug for, but here is the bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=420493
It seems anything other then just 'gtk' is undesired unless say, gtk3 version is broken or missing features that the gtk2 version has.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to always create a new tab, even if you already have a lot of tabs open in that same location. I have checked the command line -t, -r and -w flags but neither of them prevent that behavior, so the tabs just pile up between runs until you manually close them one by one.

There doesn't seem to exist a setting to start a fresh session or something like that, does it?
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I think that is maybe a feature to remember locations and open tabs, I must admit I usually close them after use :P
However I had a look too, and launching via 'spacefm -n' always clears all my open tabs just opens my ~/ - do you have " -n, --no-saved-tabs Don't load saved tabs" available? I'm using version 0.9.3.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does it. You know... sometimes you miss the obvious :lol:

Thank you :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: