[info] and [ilms] tags?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dataking
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: [info] and [ilms] tags? Reply with quote

I know it's possible because I've seen them in other phpBB based forums. I suppose it's just a matter of an admin or mod or someone with appropriate rights to agree that the tags are useful and determined enough to add them.

Anyway....

It would be nice to have an [info] tag and an [ilms] (In-Line MonoSpace) tag where:

• [ilms] (Just like it sounds.) creates a format similar/identical to that of the [code] tag, but allows the text to remain inline or wrap if it crosses the threshold.
  • [info] when used by the poster, allows the post reader to expand/contract lengthy posts (specifically useful for log output, [ilms]emerge --info[/ilms]* output, or config files).

[info] make threads neater and cleaner (from a certain perspective)
[ilms] makes posts neater and cleaner (from a certain perspective). [ilms] is specifically useful for formatting commands or paths that don't require a whole code block.

If these options exist, but are called something else, please point me to them.

Thanks!

*See what I did there? ;-)
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is what you have been seeing something like this?I believe the problem with that, or a part of it, may be that (to my understanding) we're still on phpBB 2-something. I have no idea of backwards compatibility nor what it is like to actually implement these things, but since you mentioned 'mods', I figured I'd look into things like that.

I only had a quick look-see, and am not aware of things available for this version so it's not that I'm claiming software upgrade to be an absolute must.

There is a somewhat-recent post here by desultory with regards to upgrading plans.

Just some thoughts!
dataking
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably the same sort of thing, but it's not where I got the idea. I've always thought that [code] tags were a bit "heavy handed" for some things (as mentioned in the OP). So I asked if it was possible in the smoothwall forums, where I contribute. Unfortunately, they don't display the phpBB version in the footer, for comparison.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspecting the site via Opera's Dragonfly, I can see that the style used there is:

Code:
/*  phpBB 3.0 Style Sheet
    --------------------------------------------------------------
   Style name:      subsilver2
   Based on style:   subSilver (the default phpBB 2 style)
   Original author:   subBlue ( http://www.subBlue.com/ )
   Modified by:      psoTFX and the phpBB team ( http://www.phpbb.com )

This is an alternative style for phpBB3 for those wishing to stay with
   the familiar subSilver style of phpBB version 2.x

Copyright 2006 phpBB Group ( http://www.phpbb.com/ )
    --------------------------------------------------------------
*/

I'm really not sure if this is accurate in telling they're using at least 3.0; I've never tried to find this out before, so I'm just wandering around. ^^;

And yeah, I agree that what you're asking would be nice. I was actually asking for the same thing for the Gentoo Wikki! I'm not sure if I would prefer it having the 'box' around it, or if it would just make the font monospace. Perhaps the box would be more nice to have rather than not.

I like the other part, too. Sort of what I use 'spoiler' tags elsewhere for.
dataking
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are on 3.0, but I don't know for sure, nor which sub-version. According to the admins at smoothwall.org, it's just a matter of someone taking the time to create the tags. *shrug*

I also didn't know there was a "spoiler" tag. I may have to (ab)use that, if it works here.

I'm not sure what is capable, which is why I asked.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mhm. I agree, that it should probably be doable with the current version in a way or another, but can't really tell for sure. I oddly remember something similar to this regarding the version, but I'm probably just thinking the post I linked earlier to...

As for the spoilers, I was thinking of other forums where it's useful in hiding lots of info before one clicks it, although that's not their intended use, heh. For that, too, I should like to imagine that in some form it should be possible, as well as useful.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: