Bitcoin donations
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Bitcoin donations Reply with quote

Would it not be a great idea to accept donations via bitcoins?
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And maybe popular Altcoins (top 10 market capital)
sligo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about altcoins. But BTC itself would be a nice start. I would love to donate, since i run all my machines on Gentoo. But for now it seems you have to use Paypal, which i don't have and i don't want.
General21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin donations Reply with quote

dennisn wrote:

Does anyone have a full grasp of how BitCoin works.. I'd love to see it get traction.. Who has some experience with it.

Let me know, I'm very interested..

Thanks
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin donations Reply with quote

General21 wrote:
dennisn wrote:

Does anyone have a full grasp of how BitCoin works.. I'd love to see it get traction.. Who has some experience with it.

Thanks

Why not just Google it? It's a P2P network.
General21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin donations Reply with quote

dE_logics wrote:
General21 wrote:
dennisn wrote:

Thanks

Thanks, I have looked at the basics of bitcoin. I'm trying to find out the level of risk involved to have a business try to take advantage of the technology of making real bitcoin to $$ transactions and determine how safe and secure it is.. I know for sure I want to Eliminate the middle man - THE BANK...
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bitcoin donations Reply with quote

General21 wrote:
dE_logics wrote:
General21 wrote:
dennisn wrote:

Thanks

Thanks, I have looked at the basics of bitcoin. I'm trying to find out the level of risk involved to have a business try to take advantage of the technology of making real bitcoin to $$ transactions and determine how safe and secure it is.. I know for sure I want to Eliminate the middle man - THE BANK...

It works on the principle of asymmetric encryption. If you want to send coins, you need to give evidence of inputs to your wallet address; you'll take this evidence, sign it using your private key and send the signed data to the receiver along with your public key so he can verify that it was YOU who send the key.

The address is generated using the public key.

If the receiver finds it correct, he'll broadcast the transaction to the whole network and it'll be recorded in the block chain.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it is secure, and it becomes more and more secure as the time goes on (and new blocks are generated thus confirming transaction has been accepted).
I'm just worried about 2 aspects of bitcoin:

1:) netsplits (like, say, Australia has kinda shitty connection to the rest of the world. Netsplit at this point might couse 2 histories be developed, and one of those will be discarded once netsplit is over - I doubt bitcoin has any way to merge histories, everything I've found in this topic is "shorter history gets rejected")

2:) size of database. It's already like 10 GB even though bitcoin only excists since 2008 or so. And there is only 1 transaction every few seconds. What happens as the time goes on and it gains popularity? Bam, you can't keep a copy of a history on your PC anymore becouse you don't have space and bandwidth to do that. You need a BANK! no longer p2p.

Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys should start appending some of this information to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bitcoin

i know only the 2 miners, and nothing else. i hadnt had the time to read up on it.
sk3l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been researching BTC (and also LTC) quite a bit, trying to figure out a) if it makes sense to try mining/farming it at this point, and b) possible connection points to my company's business interests.

There are many, many angles to this thing. dE_Logic's description of the mechanics of the transaction model are spot-on; it's built around public key cryptography. The actual generation of the currency is also related to cryptographic processing. The global transaction log, a.k.a block chain, is the ledger for all transactions, and by racing other machines/pools in the network to receive new transactions from the network, hash them & append to the block chain, nodes are awarded new *coins if they are the first to execute the number crunching entailed in concating onto the block chain. The polling & appending to the block chain occurs at a predictable rate, and there is a ceiling on the number of BTC that will ever be generated, and thus a cap on the circulation size the currency will ever reach (think it's like 21 million or something). There are also difficulty factors embedded into the network to throttle issuance of the coins. All the other *coins work the same way, with variance in the growth rate & ceiling of the currency, and the hashing algorithms used.

At least as far as BTC is concerned, my take on it is ... there is no point trying to mine coins as an individual anymore; this business is all farmed out. Now it's an arms race to invest in newer/bigger/faster dedicated hardware that is expressly built to hash faster & thus increase odds of earning *coins. Even that is getting consolidated. There are guys building datacenters whose sole raison d'etre is to house glorified graphics card web gardens & hashing-specific hardware, with the intention of selling space in the center to coin miners. LTC (litecoin) isn't quite there yet, but as BTC gets crowded and the LTC exchange rate climbs, more folks are funneling into that market. The same can be said of most of the other *coin markets.

Now you get into the trading markets & exchanges where people exit their *coins into hard currency, and vise versa. This is the interesting area of economic/social activiy/group psychology. There are a number of exchanges, and more are popping up all the time. Some exchanges have abruptly closed & absconded with millions of $$$ of *coins. There is also the ever-changing exchange rate of *coins back & forth to various hard currencies, and along with that, diverse tactics to manipulate the exchange rates, no different than equities. Some businesses are actually starting to take *coins for payment of services rendered, for example, Overstock.com I won't even go into the seedy underside of *coins, i.e. the black market cottage industry where people can buy whatever pleasure they want in *coins.

On top of all of this is uncertain climate of government regulation, which the technology itself makes very difficult if not impossible, but many nations are kicking around ideas on what should be regulated, and how this is done. I am studying all these things carefully. I want to get into the game somehow, but there are many profiteers/fraudsters/criminals trying to exploit it, so extreme caution is warranted. I am very interested in the recent hearings in the state of NY around potential *coin regulations, as that will be a test case for how the US might handle this thing moving forward.

It's a brave new world.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sk3l, afaik US government deals with bitcoin the same way it used to deal with internet -> "let it grow, and then find a way to make profit"
also, gpu mining is not effective anymore in case of bitcoins, you need hardware miner if you really want to have any profit. (cheap gpu gives you ~50-100M hashes/sec, cheap hw miner gives you 5G hashes/sec , and according to wiki bigger miners are more cost effective)

since all *coins are in fact clones of bitcoin, it's a bad idea to different kinds of those at the same time. It devaluates the strongest currency, introduces inflation (yeah, there is cap on every single *coin... but you can always add another *coin so there is no cap) and makes it more vulnerable to hacking -> the same computing power is spread among many networks, so every single network is weakened.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trustees of the Gentoo Foundation discussed accepting bitcoin donations a while ago and decided against it.

The value of bitcoins fluctuates wildly and its not clear if the currency has a future at all.
Accepting donations of stocks was discussed at the same meeting and it was decided tah if that ever happened, the stock would be sold and not held.
Investing in stocks (even donated stocks) could give the foundation problems with the IRS.

I'll find a link to the log if anyone wants the details.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
I'd say it is secure, and it becomes more and more secure as the time goes on (and new blocks are generated thus confirming transaction has been accepted).
I'm just worried about 2 aspects of bitcoin:

1:) netsplits (like, say, Australia has kinda shitty connection to the rest of the world. Netsplit at this point might couse 2 histories be developed, and one of those will be discarded once netsplit is over - I doubt bitcoin has any way to merge histories, everything I've found in this topic is "shorter history gets rejected")

2:) size of database. It's already like 10 GB even though bitcoin only excists since 2008 or so. And there is only 1 transaction every few seconds. What happens as the time goes on and it gains popularity? Bam, you can't keep a copy of a history on your PC anymore becouse you don't have space and bandwidth to do that. You need a BANK! no longer p2p.

Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Yes, that's true, the longest chain is considered the other is discarded. This's a problem at low difficulty, right now it's very high. If you lost your transaction in a block chain fork (you call it 'netsplit'), the transaction won't exist and you'll get your coins back. That's exactly why we have 6 confirmations for a block.

2) There're a lot of transactions in a few seconds -- it's already very popular. If you don't wanna download the block chain use the lightweight wallet net-p2p/multibit. It syncs in a few minutes. Then you can use an exchange's Bitcoin address as your wallet. That way you don't need to run any client.

Last edited by dE_logics on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The trustees of the Gentoo Foundation discussed accepting bitcoin donations a while ago and decided against it.

The value of bitcoins fluctuates wildly and its not clear if the currency has a future at all.
Accepting donations of stocks was discussed at the same meeting and it was decided tah if that ever happened, the stock would be sold and not held.
Investing in stocks (even donated stocks) could give the foundation problems with the IRS.

I'll find a link to the log if anyone wants the details.

Yeah, it's fluctuating prices can give accounting problems. You can do separate accounting for Bitcoins (if the law allows).
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dE_logics,

The separate accounting was discussed too, but its the start of a slippery slope.
The Foundation works in US dollars. No funny money of any sort.

Well, US dollars is funny money to me :)

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Nreal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: BTC donations Reply with quote

I would like to support with BTC and I believe theres many others out there.

"Why is Dell accepting bitcoin?
Bitcoin is a new payment option intended to offer even more flexibility for customers. Bitcoin payments can be made easily from anywhere in the world, and offer reduced payment processing costs."
rokj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would donate in BTC also.
rokj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

What logic was used to got to this conclusion? Does Linux has future? Does Gentoo has future? Do you have future? You do not know.

Bitcoin is now 6 years old, heavily invested and already being used by some big companies.

You can sell bitcoins as soon as you get them. You even have an option in popular exchanges that they sell BTCs as soon as they get them.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rokj your complaining about something that is not going to change this main issue about the value of bitcoins being too fluid to account for. Plainly put, the advantages of using bitcoin does not out weigh the issues it causes (i.e. the accounting the stuff) including for only a small portion of people to use. Just because a few big companies even accept it has little meaning on the matter.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rokj wrote:
I would donate in BTC also.
Although I agree that it would be cool, if you have Bitcoin that you want to donate to Gentoo, what's the impediment to you cashing that money in and then sending it to Gentoo? If that's all that's in your way, then you must not want to donate to Gentoo very badly. If you feel that I'm wrong (and I apologize in advance in case I am), then find a way. ;)

- John
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys/Girls

Make an offer to the trustees. You can email them at trustees@g.o You need to expand the @g.o
I'm a trustee ... I'll be watching the mail alias.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mgorny
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or alternatively donate to developers directly :). You get to choose who deserves it, and you don't have to fight through all the formalities Foundation needs to handle to spend money.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgorny,

I guess that works too.

The Foundation is a registed company and has to be seen to be operating within the company charter.
It also has to stand up to the IRS wanting to 'help' :)

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: