Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Glossy or Matte LCD?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Glossy or Matte LCD?
Glossy, I like shiny
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Matte, I don't care for shiny
81%
 81%  [ 18 ]
Glossy on desktop only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Glossy on laptops only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Whatever. It still works like a monitor.
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

Author Message
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 01 Jul 2004
Posts: 3598
Location: USA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Glossy or Matte LCD? Reply with quote

Your preference...glossy or matte LCD?

Sometimes I wonder why there is even an option... Then again, if we compare to CRT glass...
_________________
Intel Core i7 2700K@ 4.1GHz/HD3000 graphics/8GB DDR3/180GB SSD
What am I supposed to be advocating?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16090
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no glossy.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fran
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Feb 2004
Posts: 518
Location: Coruña (Spain)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitish environments -> glossy
Dark environments -> matte

I love the screen of my macbook pro retina. The OS X theme is quite bright and it looks awesome in the glossy 2560x1600 screen.
In my desktops I use dwm with a bunch of terminals, so I prefer matte monitors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost 8 decades ago, Alexander Smakula invented the interference-based anti-reflective coating. You can find it on camera lenses, spectacles, window panes etc. Looks like the IT industry needs another 8 decades.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 2349
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
I love the screen of my macbook pro retina. The OS X theme is quite bright and it looks awesome in the glossy 2560x1600 screen.

Awesome doesn't come from glossy. It is awesome, despite.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 107
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I put an extra glossy screen mirror finish screen protector over my glossy LCD. That much I love looking at me.
_________________
What looks like a cat, flies like a bat, brays like a donkey, and plays like a monkey?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 01 Jul 2004
Posts: 3598
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one glossy LCD because that's all it came as... and always preferred dark backgrounds on my GUI. Will have to try it bright.

Next is how about smartphones' LCDs... My screen protector is glossy... Ugh.
_________________
Intel Core i7 2700K@ 4.1GHz/HD3000 graphics/8GB DDR3/180GB SSD
What am I supposed to be advocating?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
porodzila
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 307
Location: Moving on up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the room and size and viewing angle. MATTE 90% of the time.

except at home where they are glossy:

I use 1 56" glossy television at home as my main living room computer monitor. I can easily read two full pages of text from 3 meters away including the fine print. I have it on a very high dpi setting.

I use one 56" glossy television in my recording studio. The room has strong ambient lighting and I sit less than 1 meter away. I use a low dpi setting to fit as much on the screen as possible. Six pages can be legible on on screen this way.

I want two more 48" glossy televisions in the kitchen mounted in portrait on the wall opposite the table to read the news and weather, PDFs etc. So I and my grandma-ma can comfortably read two pages of text. Lighting is from the center of the ceiling and a slight upward viewing angle ensures glare is not a problem.
_________________
ubi primum potero, me hinc subduco.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 318
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
No, I put an extra glossy screen mirror finish screen protector over my glossy LCD. That much I love looking at me.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16090
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

porodzila wrote:
I use one 56" glossy television in my recording studio. The room has strong ambient lighting and I sit less than 1 meter away. I use a low dpi setting to fit as much on the screen as possible. Six pages can be legible on on screen this way.
8O What are you doing that benefits from <1m on a 56" screen? I can't imagine being able to read like that comfortably.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 655
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
porodzila wrote:
I use one 56" glossy television in my recording studio. The room has strong ambient lighting and I sit less than 1 meter away. I use a low dpi setting to fit as much on the screen as possible. Six pages can be legible on on screen this way.
8O What are you doing that benefits from <1m on a 56" screen? I can't imagine being able to read like that comfortably.


Ever zoomed in on Reason?

1 meter from a huge screen makes total sense!
_________________
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2025
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
pjp wrote:
porodzila wrote:
I use one 56" glossy television in my recording studio. The room has strong ambient lighting and I sit less than 1 meter away. I use a low dpi setting to fit as much on the screen as possible. Six pages can be legible on on screen this way.
8O What are you doing that benefits from <1m on a 56" screen? I can't imagine being able to read like that comfortably.


Ever zoomed in on Reason?

1 meter from a huge screen makes total sense!


and then there are those closeups of young women's cervix'... maybe he just likes the feeling of... immersion....
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glossy has glare if there is any light behind you.

It's okay on hand-held devices because you instinctively and easily move them to get rid of the glare.

On everything else, other than a high-end graphics workstation in controlled lighting conditions (or with a light hood around the monitor), it's bogus and nothing but a marketing gimmick.

That's my opinion, drop your penny in the bucket.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 655
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
and then there are those closeups of young women's cervix'... maybe he just likes the feeling of... immersion....


Well, that goes without saying.
_________________
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, on the projector from floor to ceiling ...

4k some day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 01 Jul 2004
Posts: 3598
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the current state of the poll I wonder why they make one type of display...
I guess they have to satisfy everyone?
_________________
Intel Core i7 2700K@ 4.1GHz/HD3000 graphics/8GB DDR3/180GB SSD
What am I supposed to be advocating?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2025
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they introduced shiny for the asian 'use laptops as tv/home cinema' market.

That is also why it is almost impossible to get 1920x1200 for example.

And because the asian market is huge and the europeans and americans are dumb enough to buy that garbage, the manufacturers fucked us up.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
porodzila
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 307
Location: Moving on up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
porodzila wrote:
I use one 56" glossy television in my recording studio. The room has strong ambient lighting and I sit less than 1 meter away. I use a low dpi setting to fit as much on the screen as possible. Six pages can be legible on on screen this way.
8O What are you doing that benefits from <1m on a 56" screen? I can't imagine being able to read like that comfortably.



Audio editing. You need a lot of space to be able to see everything you need to see. No can't see the entire screen at once. But I can if i turn in my chair a little and thats easier than scrolling back and forth with the mouse.
_________________
ubi primum potero, me hinc subduco.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
porodzila
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 307
Location: Moving on up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Muso wrote:
pjp wrote:
porodzila wrote:
I use one 56" glossy television in my recording studio. The room has strong ambient lighting and I sit less than 1 meter away. I use a low dpi setting to fit as much on the screen as possible. Six pages can be legible on on screen this way.
8O What are you doing that benefits from <1m on a 56" screen? I can't imagine being able to read like that comfortably.


Ever zoomed in on Reason?

1 meter from a huge screen makes total sense!


and then there are those closeups of young women's cervix'... maybe he just likes the feeling of... immersion....


Thank you and my projects are orchestral music, so there are a lot more tracks!
_________________
ubi primum potero, me hinc subduco.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fran
Guru
Guru


Joined: 29 Feb 2004
Posts: 518
Location: Coruña (Spain)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Fran wrote:
I love the screen of my macbook pro retina. The OS X theme is quite bright and it looks awesome in the glossy 2560x1600 screen.

Awesome doesn't come from glossy. It is awesome, despite.

Nah, glossy looks better as long as it doesn't reflect (i.e., when the desktop environment is bright or the ambient light is low).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2025
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
genstorm wrote:
Fran wrote:
I love the screen of my macbook pro retina. The OS X theme is quite bright and it looks awesome in the glossy 2560x1600 screen.

Awesome doesn't come from glossy. It is awesome, despite.

Nah, glossy looks better as long as it doesn't reflect (i.e., when the desktop environment is bright or the ambient light is low).


bright desktop, low ambient light = worst possible combination for your health.

Glossy is stupid for any display not exclusively used for movies.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 655
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porodzila wrote:
Thank you and my projects are orchestral music, so there are a lot more tracks!


If you notice the blue box on the right hand side, you'll see that the tracks shown are just a small portion of the total number of tracks.
_________________
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 2349
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
Nah, glossy looks better as long as it doesn't reflect

Therefore I wish a slow and painful death to whoever came first with glossy screens on laptops.
_________________
backend.cpp:92:2: warning: #warning TODO - this error message is about as useful as a cooling unit in the arctic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
porodzila
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 307
Location: Moving on up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
porodzila wrote:
Thank you and my projects are orchestral music, so there are a lot more tracks!


If you notice the blue box on the right hand side, you'll see that the tracks shown are just a small portion of the total number of tracks.


cool. For each instrument in my virtual orchestra I have three stereo tracks because I compose each timbre from 2 separate noises.

Track A is a MIDI track, B is a sampled or partly sound, and C is an analog complement to the sampled sound.
_________________
ubi primum potero, me hinc subduco.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 655
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which DAW do you use?
_________________
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum