Flavor-pairing may teach kids to like vegetables
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Flavor-pairing may teach kids to like vegetables Reply with quote

Vegetables are inherently disgusting, so you need to trick your brain into liking them.

Flavor-pairing may teach kids to like vegetables
Quote:
Parents have long poured on cheese sauce, peanut butter and the like to coax kids to eat their vegetables, but a new study suggests those tricks might also get children to look more favorably at the vegetables themselves.

Preschoolers introduced to Brussels sprouts alongside cream cheese to spread on the bitter vegetable more often said they liked the sprouts and ate more of them, even when later served plain.
Plain vegetables are inedible.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I always liked vegetables.

But my mother is able to cook.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Flavor-pairing may teach kids to like vegetables Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
vegetables are inedible.

Raw carrots, cauliflower and a few others I can't place are great.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Flavor-pairing may teach kids to like vegetables Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
pjp wrote:
vegetables are inedible.

Raw carrots, cauliflower and a few others I can't place are great.

yum yum

also: fennel, Kohlrabi, Spinach, Brussel sprouts, Broccoli, Peas,

and then there is this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leipziger_Allerlei

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:

++

My daughter's baby food was home made from vegetables, the only thing she won't eat now is shellfish. If you're raised eating real food, the chances are that you'll have a better palate.

Kids raised on microwave shit from a box are the ones who seem to have the biggest issues with vegetables. When chicken nuggets are the cornerstone of your diet, you're screwed.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

Kids raised on microwave shit from a box are the ones who seem to have the biggest issues with vegetables. When chicken nuggets are the cornerstone of your diet, you're screwed.
I didn't go to McDonald's until I was a teenager, and it wasn't with my family.

Cooking vegetables isn't difficult. Steamer basket, saucepan, some water. Al dente.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Muso wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

I didn't go to McDonald's until I was a teenager, and it wasn't with my family.

Cooking vegetables isn't difficult. Steamer basket, saucepan, some water. Al dente.

Not saying you, I'm referring to many of the kids I see here in Hawai'i.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my veggies deep fried!
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't eat veggies, put them in blender. Just throw random green stuff (kale, broccoli, whatever) raw, slice an apple into it, add some hazelnuts and sunflower seed, add some water, turn the thing on for 2 mins and enjoy your smoothie.

I do that for breakfast, because I don't have much appetite in the mornings.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Not saying you, I'm referring to many of the kids I see here in Hawai'i.
Just clarifying, given my commentary on vegetables :)

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

++

My daughter's baby food was home made from vegetables, the only thing she won't eat now is shellfish. If you're raised eating real food, the chances are that you'll have a better palate.

++++++
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem with vegetables is when they seem to lose a lot of flavor after they've been frozen, delivered on a truck, and then sat in the grocery store for X amount of days.

The difference between store-bought asparagus and home-grown is the difference between me negotiating with myself to take another bite.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, training early in life to be sheeple will come handy later in these children's lives.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

++

there is some variation. we have a nightmarish fussy second child and a pretty open minded first child. same parents.

I agree with you on the second paragraph, but I think with effort you can learn to nix bad taste and habits. I never really appreciated vegetables (even though i am a vegetarian, grew up eating them and my mom is a great cook) until I learned to cook myself. somehow learning combine ingredients really enhanced my appreciation of food in general. My hope is that learning to cook is what helps most people, so I have both my kids (< 5 and < 3) helping me cook all the time. they are of course far more excited when we make cookies than when we make vegetable soup, but homemade cookies are a damn sight tastier and healthier than store bought stuff (too sweet, the store bought stuff).

nowadays, we eat a shitload of veggies (except my second child. she only eats them in soup form. but I get veggies into her that way). oddly, I really crave veggies. I love them. we should recognize that while they can have a bitter taste, there are really nice flavours there and you can save your self probably 100 pounds around the waste and heart disease by learning to like their less sweet taste.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
The difference between store-bought asparagus and home-grown is the difference between me negotiating with myself to take another bite.
:lol: ++

juniper wrote:
we should recognize that while they can have a bitter taste, there are really nice flavours there and you can save your self probably 100 pounds around the waste and heart disease by learning to like their less sweet taste.
I don't think of most of them as bitter, and I often find pre-packaged or some restaurant food to be too sweet. It amazes me that people eat that stuff. I'm not talking about a cookie that is supposed to be sweet, etc. But basic things that really shouldn't be sweet, but are. Honey mustard salad dressing? Italian salad dressing, sweet? Seriously, wtf is wrong with you people (you being those who like it). I'm drawing a blank on other examples at the moment, but it is disturbingly common. And not very good.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Mardok45 wrote:
:lol: ++

juniper wrote:
we should recognize that while they can have a bitter taste, there are really nice flavours there and you can save your self probably 100 pounds around the waste and heart disease by learning to like their less sweet taste.
I don't think of most of them as bitter, and I often find pre-packaged or some restaurant food to be too sweet. It amazes me that people eat that stuff. I'm not talking about a cookie that is supposed to be sweet, etc. But basic things that really shouldn't be sweet, but are. Honey mustard salad dressing? Italian salad dressing, sweet? Seriously, wtf is wrong with you people (you being those who like it). I'm drawing a blank on other examples at the moment, but it is disturbingly common. And not very good.

Cookies are almost always too sweet. I can't stand them. Homemade cookies (I love chocolate chip oatmeal) are so much better because you can taste the chocolate and oatmeal because they aren't being masked by too much sugar. sugar is a preservative so it makes sense for shelf life to put a ton of sugar in cookies.

Indian food in britain is weird for that. A lot of the indian food is sweetened here. Disgusting.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a couple of Indian restaurants nearby that were frighteningly sweet. Sadly one or two iterations were a restaurant that was really good when it first opened.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I'm not talking about a cookie that is supposed to be sweet, etc. But basic things that really shouldn't be sweet, but are. Honey mustard salad dressing? Italian salad dressing, sweet? Seriously, wtf is wrong with you people (you being those who like it). I'm drawing a blank on other examples at the moment, but it is disturbingly common. And not very good.

Dear god, yes. Too salty & too sweet. At home I have a simple Asian vinaigrette I make for salads.

Equal parts : Shoyu (soy sauce), rice vinegar (substitute white vinegar if you don't have rice vinegar), canola oil (or vegetable oil), sesame oil.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, equal parts sesame oil? The sesame oil I have is nukular. I made a dressing (based on a recipe) and used twice the amount of sesame oil when making a double recipe, and it was pretty overpowering. Do you use a "mild" sesame oil, or do you just like the flavor? I'm mainly thinking tablespoons of each, and don't think the sesame oil I have would allow any other flavor to come through on the palette.

I'll have to start will less sesame oil, but it sounds worth trying. I'm looking for dressings so I can eat more salads. Thanks for the recipe.

Sometimes I think I'm a saltoholic, then I meet other people who don't think certain items are salty when I think they're overpowering. About the only thing I salt are vegetables and fries (unless using it for cooking, which is why it likely doesn't need it added at the table).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesame oil goes bad after a few months. Yours might have spoiled.

But yes, equal parts. If 1/4 cup, all 4 ingredients get 1/4 cup.

Of course, mix well.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Maybe. I thought it was that strong when first opened. I'll try a new bottle. I may have an unopened one, will check its expiration or best by date.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix 1 tsp of each well (shake). Try it on a very small salad. I swear by it now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: