Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED]nVidia NVS 510: anyone experienced?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexcortes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]nVidia NVS 510: anyone experienced? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm wondering about to buy a NVS 510 in order to build a three monitor setup + a TV with a dedicated XBMC session.

I have no experience with NVS cards at all so: that card can really handle a KDE session with kwin funny effects on three monitors, several applications running (like inkscape, gimp, openoffice etc), flash stuff on some web browsers, youtube videos etc. + a XBMC session playing a FullHD video on a TV, all at same time without any lag or something bad happening?

Not that a really usually run all this stuff at same time, but sometimes happens. :D

Looking on nVidia marketing it's seems perferct and more but someone with experience is always more reliable than the vendor. :twisted:

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: the resolutions will be x3 1920x1200 + 1920x1980 but with the news 3K monitor may It change it the fulture. :P

Last edited by alexcortes on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of professional work with high end display machines.
I have a tendancy to only allow 2 outputs to be driven from any once PCI slot, but my normal usage is somewhat more demanding than that which you have specified.

The only things that cause me disquiet:
Thats a very high price card for its spec
You mentioned TV, I'm yet to find any card with only Display Port outputs that support sound over HDMI, if you intend to use that.

Personally, I'd be looking for a newer card or 2 without the 'business graphics' label, they tend to drop in price as much faster than business models, and offer so much more 'bang for your buck' as it were.

If you do look for an alternative, some cards with 3 outputs (2x DP and 1x DVI) can only run two outputs at a time. If you do look for 2 cards, check the availability of power and fast enough PCIe slots.
alexcortes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ralphred

Thank you for your input.

I also considered the Firepro W600 and some Matrox M-Series, but now I think I'll probably go with a consumer card.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: