a couple of question on sdlmame
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ev56o
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: a couple of question on sdlmame Reply with quote

is sdlmame the great solution for emulate neo-geo games?
is the program composed by three parts bios sdlmame and rom?
is bios and rom included with sdlmame gentoo installation?
when update sdlmame the rest two part are influenced?
after install sdlmame up to date what i have to do?
thanks.
luismw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really say if sdlmame is "the great solution", but at least I can tell you that it is the one I use and works perfectly.

When you emerge sdlmame, you get just the emulator, no bios or roms. The bios, by the way, is treated by mame as just another rom.

About getting the bios and roms, this is a bit of a shady area, so I'll give you only a brief piece of advice: google is your friend. I'm sure that searching for "mame neogeo rom" will point you where you want to get.

And yes, mame updates are not guaranteed to work with previous roms. You won't have to get new roms for each version, but every now and then your roms will get outdated. You have to look for the ones for your specific mame version.

Once you emerge mame you should look for its config file (somewhere inside /etc) and either copy it to the appropriate place in your home directory or edit directly in /etc. You should at least configure your directories to tell mame where to look for roms. The sdlmame manpage can help you.

There are also a variety of frontends that can probably simplify the process, but I can't tell you much about them because I just run plain mame.
ev56o
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i can use sdlmame and his function i don' t understand how to use the rest of the stuff.
i can download anything from the web but it' s not working by a wrong version

Code:

m@localhost ~ $ emerge -s sdlmame
Searching...   
[ Results for search key : sdlmame ]
[ Applications found : 2 ]

*  games-emulation/sdlmame
      Latest version available: 0.148_p1-r1
      Latest version installed: 0.148_p1-r1
      Size of files: 36,449 kB
      Homepage:      http://mamedev.org/
      Description:   Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator (SDL)
      License:       XMAME

*  games-emulation/sdlmametools
      Latest version available: 0.148_p1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 36,337 kB
      Homepage:      http://mamedev.org/
      Description:   Set of development tools shared between sdlmame and sdlmess
      License:       XMAME

should i have to update the roms and the bios? in what way do i use advscan?
i don' t understand the sense.
are all the roms faked when is issued a new versions of sdlmame? how to mamage this question?
luismw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only tell you how I do it, it may not be the best way, but it is good enough for me.

Mame is a project striving for an increase on emulation accuracy, not speed or convenience. That means that updates can modify the files that mame expects in a given rom, to improve accuracy.

When I update mame and suddenly find that some roms stop working, I simply go to Google, type the rom name, followed by "mame" and my current version of mame. It hasn't ever failed me.

I have never used rom managers because I don't find them necessary, but maybe they can help you. Though I'm pretty sure a rom manager won't magically find roms for you or make them work with a newer version of mame if the required files simply aren't there.
ryo-san
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ev56o wrote:
yes i can use sdlmame and his function i don' t understand how to use the rest of the stuff.
i can download anything from the web but it' s not working by a wrong version

You mainly need to configure
Code:
/etc/game/sdlmame/mame.ini

For neogeo, you must provide an archive with all neogeo bios inside.the archive is called neogeo.zip.
You must place it in the same directory than your roms.

Then you can run
Code:
sdlame kof99
for example.

FYI :
Code:

cat /etc/games/sdlmame/mame.ini
#
# CORE CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
#
readconfig                1
writeconfig               0

#
# CORE SEARCH PATH OPTIONS
#

rompath                   /media/STOCKAGE/GAMES/EMUS/MAME/ROMS;/media/STOCKAGE/GAMES/EMUS/MAME/BIOS;/media/STOCKAGE/GAMES/EMUS/NEOGEO/ROMS;/media/STOCKAGE/GAMES/EMUS/NEOGEO/BIOS
samplepath                /media/STOCKAGE/GAMES/EMUS/MAME/SAMPLES;/usr/share/games/sdlmame/samples
artpath                   /media/STOCKAGE/GAMES/EMUS/MAME/ARTWORKS;/usr/share/games/sdlmame/artwork

be warned , all "romsets" ( aka rom ) are registered with crc from originals roms dumps.They made some big changes on this list some years ago and now many "fake" roms won't run.
You can list these romsets with sdlmame , or issue the right command to verify your rom.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: