Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
zlib-1.2.5-r1 problems (unable to read SONAME from libz.so)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

escravana wrote:
I started the installation with a stage3 i486 version, on a via C3 Samuel CPU, then changed CHOST from i486 to i686 (as suggested in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-194273-start-0.html )

...and that's where things have fallen apart.

Changing CHOST isn't a trivial thing - I've done it once, but it was quite a few years ago.
There's '/usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh' that should help you, but I don't quite recall how it was supposed to be used.

That wiki article about changing CHOST seems a bit inaccurate, but your system should still be in a recoverable state.
escravana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, update on the subject.

I used the solution above (compiling zlib with LDSHARED="gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,libz.so.1,--version-script,zlib.map") in order to be able to sucessfuly execute the:
Code:

emerge binutils gcc glibc

That fixed the gcc, and made gcc-config report:
Code:

[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.7.3 *
 [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.7.3-hardenednopie
 [3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.7.3-hardenednopiessp
 [4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.7.3-hardenednossp
 [5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.7.3-vanilla

after that, unmerged zlib, removed the LDSAHRED hack (the corresponding /etc/portage/env file), and emerged zlib again, without hacks.. it looks OK now.

So I agree with you, it doesn't look like a zlib bug... maybe I messed up something in changing CHOST process that triggered this.. but the only way I found to get out of this, is the one described above.

Thank you very much for your help.
KR
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so it is known, I am having this issue on a Celeron 2.80GHz system. I have not modified anything. I used the Gentoo install CD (32bit), partitioned, installed, and began emerging things. I normally first emerge things like ftp, openssh-blacklist, ntp, sudo, etc. Then I emerge the X server (xorg-server and mesa-progs). Then I emerge KDE. During my KDE run the system installs two packages then fails with the SONAME error. I have NOT modified my CHOST or anything. I did modify my USE flags and the CPU_FLAGS_X86 variable, but that is it. This is bone-stock.

The funny thing is, I can go through this exact same process, same order, EVERYTHING on a 64bit system and it works. It just fails to work on my old laptop. I have no clue what to do.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth ...

that does look like the wrong stage3, current-stage3-i486 rather than current-stage3-i686. So, yes, start over, though you could save the portage-snapshot ... which will save some time re-downloading.

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: