Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
RPM's capabilities vs Gentoo's dependencies.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: RPM's capabilities vs Gentoo's dependencies. Reply with quote

RPM's capabilities is a clear winner.

I mean, you don't have to go around searching the whole package tree to put alternative alternative packages.

It's easier for the user, and for the developers. For e.g. instead of hunting around packages depending on media-libs/libjpeg, just modify media-libs/libjpeg-turbo to add libjpeg capability.

And best e.gs include X11 and DRI drivers.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try installing a random srpm...
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Try installing a random srpm...

That way Window's package manager is the best.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both .deb and .rpm can be handled this way yes, but neither provide a clean source code build option. But there is one caveat with rpm/deb - the existing binaries on the system must still match that of the system that the built rpm/deb assumes...

It's always easier for the developers when the target system and users all match each other... For Gentoo, pretty much every system is different. You can uniquely identify a Gentoo user by their make.conf, /etc/portage, and world file... which is bad for software distributors... they can't guarantee every permutation works.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But there is one caveat with rpm/deb - the existing binaries on the system must still match that of the system that the built rpm/deb assumes...

THIS is a serous problem.

So a package A can be build for one library Z, but another library X (which may require a recompile) which provides the same capabilities as Z, if installed may break the package.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this has always been the case but most rpm/deb providers still mark a specific OS version that the file was assigned to - and YMMV if you try to install it on another version, whether it's newer or older than the target.

Technically Gentoo is sort of like the "app store" like what android and itunes do to their respective platforms, but people can always make their own ebuilds or build on their computers without the service...

It's really the differences between different distributions of Linux that prevents people from distributing software for it. There's no telling what libraries and versions of libraries around. Not only that, statically compiling is not an option either (GPL/LGPL violation)...

It's a mess indeed.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However ebuilds can still use a capabilities field where ABI doesn't matter, like with OpenCL/GL and maybe libraries which scripted/interpreted languages use.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But there is one caveat with rpm/deb - the existing binaries on the system must still match that of the system that the built rpm/deb assumes...

this is exactly why i came, this is exactly why i have not left. i totally disagree with the whole apache situation on gentoo, and i still stuck around.

i said to funtoo that portage needs a method to work with out its own ebuilds, just feed it a tarball and thats that. ebuilds should be reactive to problems of strange packaging rather than proactive show stoppers no package unless you scribe an ebuild. our scribing efforts should be to weaving our wiki into a powerful resource.

we need a system to green light packages & versions of packages. like links to glsa warnings that are stuck on http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources type pages.

im not a programmer, im just an observing dreamer, and situational perception is an underdeveloped skill in most people.

we need a handbook that realizes that many paths can be taken to generate a base system and gives choice right from the get go with recommendation of what path should be taken.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: