View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lohengrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: GDM takes a lot to start Reply with quote

Hey there!

Recently, I decided to make a fresh Gnome 3 installation since its stabilization in Portage. Unfortunately, this meant switching from OpenRC to Systemd and I am still getting used to it. One problem that I am experiencing is that GDM takes a lot to start: about 18 seconds since Systemd starts the GDM service until the user prompt login is shown, which I find excessive. During this I am getting a black screen. With Gnome 2 the startup was very fast. I am aware that Gnome 3 now uses hardware acceleration for graphics but I think 18 seconds are excessive.

Everything seems to be OK on X server:
Code:
10:55 | jesus@milo ~ $ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "(EE)"
   (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.

Full log can be found here. I observed also some kind of distortion or blur on top of some windows in some applications (Writer,Gedit, PDF viewer). I am not aware whether it is or not a known bug. Anyway, I let you some screenshots:
Writer screenshot
Gedit screenshot
PDF viewer screenshot

Any clue? Thank you.
Jesus.
Linux Registered User #406964
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juding on your already written statements, it is more a systemd issue than a gnome issue.

If you talk about the time which is consumed from turning on your computer till you are ready to use your graphical environment I would not be upset about 18 seconds. Yes it may sound much but you gave yourself already an explanation, you switched from OPENRC to systemd.

My only assumption for you is to tweak systemd on your box.

MY personal opinion: In old days I had to wait 5 minutes until my box was useable. only resuming from hibernation may speed up your boot process much faster.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me mutters.... openrc + lightdm + gnome3 works on my box.... i am using systemd as udev replacement only with that setup.
Lohengrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answers.

tw04l124 wrote:
If you talk about the time which is consumed from turning on your computer till you are ready to use your graphical environment I would not be upset about 18 seconds. Yes it may sound much but you gave yourself already an explanation, you switched from OPENRC to systemd

The time I am taking about is exactly from launching gdm.service till the logging is prompted. That does not include the time to turn on the computer, load the kernel, launch other daemons, etc.

666threesixes666 wrote:
/me mutters.... openrc + lightdm + gnome3 works on my box.... i am using systemd as udev replacement only with that setup.

Uhm, lightDM seems more of a juicy option than GDM. I do not feel like mixing up Systemd with openRC, I prefer everything is done with one or the other. I will hook on lightDM, thank you.
Linux Registered User #406964
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lilo wiki is my setup. i can boot either openrc or systemd at power on. im not rail roaded into systemd only like with grub2. you're very welcome. :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: