Gnome 3 nightmare: Part 1 - systemd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phancy Physicist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Gnome 3 nightmare: Part 1 - systemd Reply with quote

Gnome 2 is on it is way out so I decided to upgrade to Gnome 3. I wish I hadn't but ...

For the life of me I can't get systemd to work.

First, I have read http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd over and over without any solace.

Here is what I have done. I know I have to use an initramfs to get systemd to work with my disk configuration (see /etc/fstab below) so I used the following command and genkernel-next to generate one.
Code:
# genkernel --udev --lvm --mdadm --install --no-ramdisk-modules initramfs

* Gentoo Linux Genkernel; Version 35
* Running with options: --udev --lvm --mdadm --install --no-ramdisk-modules initramfs

* Using genkernel.conf from /etc/genkernel.conf
* Sourcing arch-specific config.sh from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/config.sh ..
* Sourcing arch-specific modules_load from /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/modules_load ..

* Linux Kernel 3.10.25-gentoo for x86_64...
* .. with config file /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/kernel-config
* busybox: >> Using cache
* initramfs: >> Initializing...
*         >> Appending base_layout cpio data...
*         >> Appending udev cpio data...
cp: cannot stat '/lib/udev/rules.d/40-gentoo.rules': No such file or directory
* cannot copy /lib/udev/rules.d/40-gentoo.rules from udev
cp: cannot stat '/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf': No such file or directory
* cannot copy /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf from udev
*         >> Appending auxilary cpio data...
*         >> Copying keymaps
*         >> Appending busybox cpio data...
*         >> Appending lvm cpio data...
* LVM: Adding support (copying binaries from system)...
*         >> Appending mdadm cpio data...
*          MDADM: Skipping inclusion of mdadm.conf
* initramfs: Not copying modules...
*         >> Appending blkid cpio data...
*         >> Appending ld_so_conf cpio data...
* ld.so.conf: adding /etc/ld.so.conf{.d/*,}...
cpio: lib64 not created: newer or same age version exists
cpio: lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 not created: newer or same age version exists
cpio: lib64/libc.so.6 not created: newer or same age version exists
cpio: lib64/libpthread.so.0 not created: newer or same age version exists
cpio: lib64/librt.so.1 not created: newer or same age version exists
cpio: usr/lib64 not created: newer or same age version exists
cpio: lib64/libpthread.so.0 not created: newer or same age version exists
cpio: lib64/libblkid.so.1 not created: newer or same age version exists
cpio: lib64/libuuid.so.1 not created: newer or same age version exists
*         >> Finalizing cpio...
*         >> Compressing cpio data (.xz)...

* WARNING... WARNING... WARNING...
* Additional kernel cmdline arguments that *may* be required to boot properly...
* add "dolvm" for lvm support
* add "domdadm" for RAID support
* With support for several ext* filesystems available, it may be needed to
* add "rootfstype=ext3" or "rootfstype=ext4" to the list of boot parameters.

Notice the issues with udev and warnings from cpio above which I have no Idea what to do with. As you can guess udev is not working. Thus when I boot using the grub.conf below and start with sytemd I get a kernel panic. If I remove the real_init= from grub.conf, the system boots with openrc but udev doesn't work. I think what I want at this point is to first figure out how to get systemd working then MAYBE try to get Gnome 3 working. Not sure what other info will be helpful. Please ask and I will deliver. Thanks in advance for any help.

grub.conf:
default 0
timeout 10

title Gentoo 3.10.25
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-3.10.25-gentoo root=/dev/sdc2 real_init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.10.25-gentoo

title Gentoo 3.10.17
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-3.10.17-gentoo root=/dev/sdc2 real_init=/urs/lib/systemd/systemd
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.10.17-gentoo

/etc/fstab:
#drive #1
UUID="XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX"     /boot   ext2    noauto,noatime  1 2
UUID="XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX"     /       ext4    noatime         0 1

#swap
UUID="XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX"     none    swap    sw              0 0
UUID="XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX"     none    swap    sw              0 0

#raid #1
UUID="XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX"     /home   ext4    noatime         0 0
#raid #2
UUID="XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX"    /var    ext4    noatime         0 1
#raid #3
UUID="XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX"     /usr    ext4    noatime         0 0
#raid #4
UUID="XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX"     /opt    ext4    noatime         0 0
#raid #5
UUID="XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX"     /mnt/storage    ext4            noatime,user    0 0

shm     /dev/shm                tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,noexec             0 0
tmpfs   /var/tmp/portage        tmpfs   auto,nr_inodes=1M,size=8000M    0 0
tmpfs   /tmp                    tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,size=8000M         0 0
proc    /proc                   proc    defaults                        0 0

Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I install Gnome 3. I dont need to boot with Systemd to use it. Openrc continue to work as before. In the kernel configuration, have you activate
Code:
CONFIG_GENTOO_LINUX_INIT_SYSTEMD=y

In /usr/src/linux/kernel-parameters.txt I dont see any reference to real_init as a kernel boot parameter. Have you try to use init= instead?

/lib/udev/rules.d/40-gentoo.rules is a file of the eudev package. It cannot be installed at the same time than Systemd and Udev. So, Genkernel search for the file 40-gentoo.rules in case you are using eudev and if you dont have any blacklist.conf file, those warning should be without consequence.

You can try Dracut to generate an initramfs. I read your message because I am gone try to boot with Systemd soon and I want to be well prepare.

:D
Phancy Physicist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
I install Gnome 3. I dont need to boot with Systemd to use it. Openrc continue to work as before.

I'm trying to install Gnome 3.8 which relies on systemd right? Or is it just gdm that requires systemd?
Logicien wrote:
In the kernel configuration, have you activate
Code:
CONFIG_GENTOO_LINUX_INIT_SYSTEMD=y

I enabled both openRC and systemd in the kernel which I have read is okay and they can happily coexist.
Logicien wrote:

In /usr/src/linux/kernel-parameters.txt I dont see any reference to real_init as a kernel boot parameter. Have you try to use init= instead?

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd#Booting_with_systemd says that sometimes you have to use real_init= instead of init= which I had to do.
Logicien wrote:
/lib/udev/rules.d/40-gentoo.rules is a file of the eudev package. It cannot be installed at the same time than Systemd and Udev. So, Genkernel search for the file 40-gentoo.rules in case you are using eudev and if you dont have any blacklist.conf file, those warning should be without consequence.

So are these warnings general or a result of my build?
Logicien wrote:
You can try Dracut to generate an initramfs.

I have been looking into Dracut but I haven't even been able to get it to emerge yet. I guess I'll try to get it on my machine while I wait for more helpful souls to come along and post :)
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been able to boot with Systemd. I do not use an initramfs, as my kernel image is a standalone until the real root partition is mounted. /usr is in the root partition. I had to remove the quiet kernel parameter to see the output messages by Systemd. I change ro to rw too. I am not sure if it's mandatory.

Systemd do not provide all boot files to start/stop all services I want. I had to create some in /etc/systemd/system/, test and enable them to be start/stop at boot, reboot and shutdown. It's not so easy to understand what to write exactlly to make them work. My network file generate a kernel panic for awhile until I found what I miss. I had to read files in /usr/lib/systemd/system/ to help me.

So, I can take my time because Openrc work very well. Understand Systemd have the advantage to easy the administration of a lot of GNU/Linux distributions who use it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: