mount galaxy s2 in gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: mount galaxy s2 in gentoo Reply with quote

I hope this is the right place to post this,
I'm having issues with mounting my galaxy s2 in Gentoo for general file transfer purposes, in other distros I used, (including Sabayon) it was usually mounted automatically or sometimes I had to install mtp-tools which is not available here in Gentoo. the only thread I found covering this is more than a year old (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-926854-start-25.html) and says something about outdated mtpfs, so I tried also the 9999 thing but to no avail.

I think I may have a missing package since lsusb doesn't even recognize my device:
Code:
lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 045e:00cb Microsoft Corp. Basic Optical Mouse v2.0
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:0752 Microsoft Corp. Wired Keyboard 400
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8564:1000 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

(the same thing shown when my device is unplugged too)

I followed https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MTP but that didn't helped either, I get:
Code:
mtpfs -o allow_other ~/AndroidDevice
Unable to open ~/.mtpz-data for reading, MTPZ disabled.

can someone please help me?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need anything installed. Just follow the instructions here: http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.sg/2012/05/how-to-connect-android-samsung-galaxy.html
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
You don't need anything installed. Just follow the instructions here: http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.sg/2012/05/how-to-connect-android-samsung-galaxy.html

Thanks for trying my friend, but this is not my case, I forgot to mention I use cyanogenmod and already tried switching between the different storage modes... sorry for that.

anyway, my phone isn't even recognized by my Gentoo system, maybe if it's not a package I'm lacking, then it might be a correct fstab entry..
can someone guide me how to set fstab for mtp please?
N8Fear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An fstab entry has nothing to do with device detection. It could only be used to create a default mapping for mounting the device. Since your phone isn't detected by lsusb it seemingly isn't correctly connected (you could check dmesg for usb events to doublecheck). In that case there are 3 things you can try:
1. another usb port on you pc (or try to connect another device to that one to rule out damage there)
2. another usb cable (maybe the cable is broken and the data connection doesn't work - note: the data connection is not needed for loading the battery of the phone).
3. you have to activate the usb port inside the phone (or possibly switch it to client mode).

After the device is detected a custom udev rule for the device could be possible (use google - there are many examples). Depending on your phone you can afterwards either mount the device (normally just a partition or a sdcard) or you'll have to use mtp or adb (push/pull) to trasfer files.
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N8Fear wrote:
An fstab entry has nothing to do with device detection. It could only be used to create a default mapping for mounting the device. Since your phone isn't detected by lsusb it seemingly isn't correctly connected (you could check dmesg for usb events to doublecheck). In that case there are 3 things you can try:
1. another usb port on you pc (or try to connect another device to that one to rule out damage there)
2. another usb cable (maybe the cable is broken and the data connection doesn't work - note: the data connection is not needed for loading the battery of the phone).
3. you have to activate the usb port inside the phone (or possibly switch it to client mode).

After the device is detected a custom udev rule for the device could be possible (use google - there are many examples). Depending on your phone you can afterwards either mount the device (normally just a partition or a sdcard) or you'll have to use mtp or adb (push/pull) to trasfer files.

Thanks man, I switched USB port and then lsusb detected my device, although I don't believe my other port is damaged, it is a USB 3.0 port, probably this is the reason why it gives me troubles. I had this issue before on another distro, but then some distros did recognize it through that port some didn't - I think it's a matter of configuration.

anyhow, now that my device is recognized, I'll google for the udev rule as you said, thanks for your suggestions, they've been very helpful! :)

if anyone else also reads this, and can tell me how to make Gentoo detect my phone through USB 3.0, please do, I know it's possible since my Windows (I'm a dual booter) and also other linux distros did manage to do so..
N8Fear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the USB (especially USB 3.0) related parts of your kernel...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: