View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it mean that i have gnome 3? how it could happen?
what i should do now?

EDIT: do you recommend me to stay with gnome 3 and add what is needed for systemd - how?
or change to gnome 2 - how?
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you have gnome 3 installed.

GNOME 3.8 has been recently stabilized on gentoo. So if you just "emerge gnome" it takes the latest stable version, which is gnome 3 now since about a month or so.

It is of course possible to go back to gnome 2. I would not recommend that though, as gnome 2 is not maintained any longer by upstream. It is however as always a question of your needs an preferences whether you like gnome 3 or not. Gnome 3 is a lot different than gnome 2. It looks a lot more modern and fancy and is 3d accelerated and has a completly new interface concept, a bit like unity on Ubuntu. It is however more limited in customization options. If you are used to KDE on SuSE you might be surprised how little you can change the appearance of gnome 3 in comparison.

So if you are fine with an easy too use desktop that looks nice but is not intended to be heavily customized, then go with gnome 3. If you want something that is more gnome 2'isch, there are some alternatives you could try. There is Mate, which is a fork of gnome2. This is the one you should use if you want a gnome 2 desktop that is still maintained and developed further. Others are cinnamon (based on gnome 3, looks as modern but is more of a "traditional desktop" like gnome 2 was), or XFCE (a lot like gnome2, but a less resource hungry and very lite. Best if you don't want anything fancy. Of course you can as well use KDE. This is probably what you know already from SUSE anyway.

So, the easiest way at this point I think would be to use one of the alternative desktops. You would just have to emerge them and they should work.

If you are still adventures enough to tinker around a little more to get gnome 3 running, you have to switch to systemd as your init system. That means you will not be using openRC/sysvinit anymore, that is, your system will not be started by the /etc/init.d/* services anymore.

Here is a lot of info about systemd on gentoo: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd.

I am using systemd as well and like it, because it is fast (very fast boot time), intuitive and has a lot of nice features that openrc does not have. But at the moment you may have some more obstacles with it, as the integration in gentoo is still ongoing and sometimes a bit more work to configure, because it does not use some of the classic ways to do things.

The short version what you would have to do to use gnome with systemd:

1. switch to the gnome / systemd profile, so you get some useful USE flags:
Code:
eselect profile set default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd

(got that from here: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GNOME/3.8-upgrade-guide#Using_gnome.2Fsystemd_subprofile)

2. emerge systemd and all the packages that have new USE flags. That will be the "systemd" use flag in particular. This is important because, as systemd does not use the old /etc/init.d/* scripts any more, the packages need to install systemd unit files, which is the systemd equivalent of an /etc/init.d script.

Code:

emerge -av systemd
emerge --update --ask -verbose --deep --newuse world

3. Systemd makes use of a lot of very recent cool kernel features. You have to make sure that you have enabled everything needed for systemd in your kernel config and recompile your kernel if anything was missing. A list of kernel options is in the systemd wiki entry here: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd#Pre-installation_Configuration

4. Alter your GRUB configuration to tell the kernel to start systemd as the PID 1 (the first process started in user space after the kernel is finished booting) instead of the default init:

you have to add the kernel parameter "init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" to your GRUB config. Like we did with nouveau, just add the "init=" parameter to the end, separated by a white space.

5. Make sure the file /etc/mtab is a symlink to /proc/self/mounts. This file usually stores a list of mounted file systems that you can see if you type "mount". As systemd does manage mount point quite a lot, this is important to make sure that systemd can communicate with the kernel about mounted file systems correctly.

Code:
ln -sf /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab

6. If you have changed some config files during your first installation, you may need to do some changes again, as some things are handled in different files with systemd. In particular this is stuff like localization settings (language, keymaps), your timezone and hostname. Have a look at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd#Post_Installation_Configuration and follow the "post installation instructions".

7. re-enable any boot services you previously had enabled via "rc-update add". In systemd this is done by:
Code:
systemctl enable <SERVICE NAME>

For example, to enable gdm:
Code:
systemctl enable gdm

More info on the usage and names of services is here: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd#Services

8. reboot
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kompi,

First, I would like to thank you that you found the problem of my installation!
Second - Your clear explanations are very significant to me and may be helpful to many other users -
You help me to make order in a sea of details - so please keep going in that way as much as you can - it is crucial to me!
Regarding gnome: I like your attitude and accept your advise to continue with gnome 3 -
yes i am adventures - i dare to install gentoo.. :) and i want to explore a new method- systemd.
I am going to study the links that you have pointed me to and afterward i will return with questions - if i will have - and i wll have probably...
However, at the moment, i have some comments:
You had mentioned before the possibility to have options of some desktops - for instance:
gnome 3 and kde, so i will be able to choose one of them to work with - in this case -how should I define: the kernel compiling, USE variables, DISPLAYMANAGER etc.
In addition, as I told you, my gentoo is installed as apart of SUSE's grub2 - Should I add to the name of the kernel in boot directory the "init" parameter, as you said here?

Thanks a lot
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to be sure I am doing the right steps before kernel compiling - Pre-installation -
step 1 - desktop/gnome/systemd is selected.
step 2 - is done.
step 3 - here I choose "Quick setup using gentoo-sources" -
Does it mean I do not need to "configure my Kernel options manually"?
step 4 - As i described in last post -instead of configuring gentoo's grub -
I will just add the parameter to the kernel's name, so SUSE's grub2 will manage?
I will choose genkernel - or I should "manually kernel config"?

All other steps will be performed after compiling.

EDIT: I have done all the above and after compiling there are two problems:
network is not working and it seems that graphic module of nouveau did not loaded.
may be the way I add kernel parameter is not right...
Please advise!

EDIT 2: Please do not refer to the above edit - it was written before i saw your response -
so first let me figure out your info...

Last edited by pmam on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm feedback. I always tend to be very detailed because I do not just want to throw the right commands to copy+paste there, but want to make sure people understand what they are doing, so they can actually learn how it works and thus be empowered to be able to deal with obstacles on their own. Your feedback ensures me that it might be a good approach, and if that little bit of more work is appreciated, that encourages me to continue to do so :)

Multiple desktop environments: Yes it is possible and mostly unproblematic to have different DEs installed. Basically you only need to merge them. Let's say you emerge the "gnome" and "kde-meta" package. Both of them will install a file in /etc/X11/Sessions/, which contains information about it beeing there and how it is started. The graphical login managers will see those files and offer to choose the DE to be started before logging in. In lightdm you have a little icon in the top-right corner to select which DE you want to use today. In gdm I think it isa very noticable combo-box below the password promt.

Of course there is a litte bit more to it in same cases. For KDE you definitly want the "kde" USE flag set, as well as the "gnome" for gnome. Both are not exclusive, so it is no problem to set them both. You will have to do it yourself though, as I don't think there is a use profile for both. Generally it should be sufficient to have "qt" and "kde" for KDE, and "gnome" and "gtk" for gnome. However, if you want to be sure you don't miss anything, have a look at the profile files which USE flags are being set for the gnome and kde profiles, and just put them combined in your /etc/portage/make.conf file. Or select the gnome profile, and add the KDE USE flags to your make.conf.

The other DE's usually are not that troublesome with wrong USE flags. (in case of gnome/kde you sometimes get package conflicts when trying to merge or missing USE flags you have to set). Just make sure that if you are using a gtk based DE, you have the gtk use flag, and vice versa qt for KDE/qt based ones. All that I mentioned are gtk based, except KDE.

DISPLAYMANAGER: The DISPLAYMANAGER variable is not used any more if you are using systemd. This is an openrc specific thing, because the /etc/init.d/xdm script implements starting any kind of login manager. Back in the day everybody used xdm, but, because is was very ugly, gdm, kdm and the like were developed. The solution in gentoo to easily switch to the prefered one was to introduce this variable that is read by the xdm script.

However, in systemd you select your display manager by just enabling the one you want. I.e. with "systemctl enable lightdm.service" or "enable gdm.service", or "kdm.service" etc.

Lightdm, kdm and gdm - all of them should be capable of starting up any login manager. However some DEs rely on some functionality of the login manager and except a specific one to be there. For example, gnome3 used GDM to lock the screen and ask for your password. If started with another one, this feature might not work. I'm not sure as I don't use KDE, but I think this is not the case for KDE<->kdm. So it may be a good idea to go with gdm instead of kdm. (if it works after you installed systemd that is ;) )

The other advantage of using the login manager that comes with the DE is less libraries to be loaded. KDM/KDE use qt, GDM/Gnome/XFCE/Mate/Cinnamon etc. use gtk, so if you would have only one category of DE, you may some some MB of RAM not having to load both toolkit's libraries. But this is quite negliable IMHO anyway. Of course, it also looks more consistent as well.

Kernel parameter/GRUB: Yes, add the init parameter in SuSE to your grub2 configuration. As you did before with the nouveau.modeset parameter.

Kernel config: I'm not sure if you can select systemd specific options with the quick setup / genkernel, as I've never used it. But if you want to use it, you could just let it do its configuration and if it is done check the kernel config if everything is there. But maybe genkernel already has an option for systemd? I'm not sure.

But you can check afterwards with:

Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

Selecting the right options is even more easy then the linked guide says: The gentoo-sources tree has a patch applied that includes a meta-option for systemd that auto-selects everything else that is needed. You'll find it in the menuconfig in:

Quote:
Gentoo Linux --> Support for init systems .. -> systemd

If that is selected, you should have everything.

If you changed anything in the config, you can recompile the kernel with:

Code:
# recompile
make
# install
make modules_install
cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/<your kernel image filename as named in GRUB>

BTW: if you have a multi-core CPU you might add "-j4" to the make command. This will make it a lot faster, as compiling is done in parallel. The "4" means a maximum of 4 jobs in parallel. This is the number to use if you have a 4-core CPU, use 8 if you have 8 cores etc.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kompi,

I am not sure I exactly know how to add the kernel parameter: one way is to add to the kernel's file name in the gentoo's boot directory;
The other way is to edit the SUSE's /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file - i have to check what way is ok.

Genkernel: I decided to stop using genkernel and try with the manual config as you wrote: to select systemd. In that way i have more control.
Just to be sure: when you write # recompile and #install - it is only explanation and not to be typed as a command?

Multiple desktop environments: First i will install gnome 3/gdm and then I will add kde - I have some questions regarding adding KDE, like how can I "have a look at the profile files which USE flags are being set for the gnome and kde profiles" - where can I see it? Also, what do you mean here: " the login manager that comes with the DE is less libraries to be loaded" -
In my case, I am using gnome 3/gdm, but after adding kde the amount of librires will be increased, as well?... but first I should have gnome 3 working.

Regarding the cpu: This computer has Pantium D - as far as I know it has two cpu - so I put -j3 - it is ok?

Again Thanks for your helpful support!

EDIT: In the handbook, before compiling, it is written to do: emerge-webrsync, emerge --sync and emerge gentoo-sources -
Should I do all these emerge before each compiling?

Menuconfig - When I am trying to change to * instead of M (Module) for nouveau nvidia driver - the system does not allow me a conflict massage pop up - I left it as a module and i understand that it is not much difference - the module will be loaded after booting - but in the first compiling i succeeded to do it - why not now? I do not know conflict with what paramater?

EDIT: After compiling - the graphic is not ok - It seems that nouveau did not loaded? And networking is not ok - I will try to google how to static network.
Also - How can I verify if the kernel parameter is ok?

Last edited by pmam on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still it is not working...
I added the kernel parameter in the menuconfig: "Processor type and features" -> "Built-in kernel command line" – how can I verify if it is working?
I do not have network connection to internet – I enabled networkmanager.service but when trying to start it I get an error: “failed to get D-Bus connection”.
This error repeats also when I am trying to start other services.
The graphic is not ok – it seems that nouveau driver is not loaded – I defined nouveau as (*) instead of (M) in the menuconfig –
I have succeeded to do so after cancel the following option:
Device Drivers  --->
   Generic Driver Options  --->
            [ ]   Automount devtmpfs at /dev, after the kernel mounted the rootfs
Is the above option really not needed?
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am not sure I exactly know how to add the kernel parameter: one way is to add to the kernel's file name in the gentoo's boot directory;

Do it by booting SuSE and edit it as you did before when adding the nouveau parameter. With YaST as decribed here.

Basically, you need to get as a result in grub.cfg a line like:
Quote:
kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-gentoo-2.12.6 root=/dev/hdaX nouveau.modeset=1 init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd

While the "bz-Image-gentoo.." is the file name you chose for the kernel image when copying it from /usr/src/linux/arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage to /boot after compiling the kernel.

Quote:
Just to be sure: when you write # recompile and #install - it is only explanation and not to be typed as a command?

Yes, that was just to make clear which is which. (the '#' character event prevents bash from doing anything if you enter it, because this starts a comment line)

Quote:
Also, what do you mean here: " the login manager that comes with the DE is less libraries to be loaded" -
In my case, I am using gnome 3/gdm, but after adding kde the amount of librires will be increased, as well?

Yes if you use multiple DEs you will in the end have more libraries loaded. If you start GDM, it needs GTK libraries. If you then start KDE from there, you need the QT libs as well. This is not at all a problem, it just uses a litte more memory and maybe some fractions of a second more too load. This should only be a matter of concern if you have a very old or low resource PC. Just wanted to mention it why it is useful to have a fitting login manager if you only use one DE anyway. In your case, it is a good aproach to go with gdm/gnome and then add kde.

Quote:
Regarding the cpu: This computer has Pantium D - as far as I know it has two cpu - so I put -j3 - it is ok?

Yes, -j3 or -j4 should give you the best results.

Quote:
Menuconfig - When I am trying to change to * instead of M (Module) for nouveau nvidia driver - the system does not allow me a conflict massage pop up - I left it as a module and i understand that it is not much difference - the module will be loaded after booting - but in the first compiling i succeeded to do it - why not now? I do not know conflict with what paramater?

That usually happens if it depends on another option that can either be compiled in or as a module. If dependencies are selected as modules, then nouveau can also only be a module - because otherwise the kernel would be incomplete: nouveau would be compiled in, but things it depends on would not be.

You can find out by pressing the '?' key when you are hovering the nouveau option. You get a help screen with a short descriptions about this option. Further below you will hava line like starting with "depends on", like this:
Quote:
Depends on: HAS_IOMEM [=y] && DRM [=m] && PCI [=y]

This is taken from my configuration. You see that the DRM option is compiled as a module. (m == module [M], y == yes [*]). This is the "Direct Rendering manager" option a few lines above the nouveau option. If I wanted to compile my nouveau module in the kernel, I would first have to set this one to [*]. (Note: if you don't know which option corresponds to the name, you can search by pressing the '/' key. If you enter "DRM" here, it shows where this option is located in the menu and what its description in the menu is).

Quote:
EDIT: In the handbook, before compiling, it is written to do: emerge-webrsync, emerge --sync and emerge gentoo-sources -
Should I do all these emerge before each compiling?

No. You only need to do that to upgrade to the latest version. "emerge --sync" downloads the latest portage tree with all the package desriptions. And "emerge gentoo-sources" downloads and installs the latest stable gentoo kernel sources in /usr/src/.

Quote:
EDIT: After compiling - the graphic is not ok - It seems that nouveau did not loaded? And networking is not ok - I will try to google how to static network.
Also - How can I verify if the kernel parameter is ok?

Well you will have to re-enable your network devices at boot, as systemd needs to be configured anew. If your network devices are just configured via DHCP you can just do:
Code:
systemctl enable dhcpcd.service

If you need a more sophisticated config (wlan with authentication, different networks etc) you should merge networkmanager or wicd to configure your network cards:
Code:
emerge networkmanager
systemctl enable networkmanager.service

OR:
Code:
emerge wicd
systemctl enable wicd.service

The graphics should however not have been broken by this. Maybe something in the kernel config that you changed? I would recommend starting with the old config you previously had, where everything worked, and just change the options needed by systemd.

If you don't have the old configuration file any more (the file is stored in /usr/src/linux/.config), you can extract it from the old kernel image this way:
Code:
/usr/src/linux/scripts/extract-ikconfig /boot/<kernel-image-name>  > /usr/src/linux/.config

After that, you can run menuconfig again to add the systemd options, and recompile the kernel again.

Quote:
when trying to start it I get an error: “failed to get D-Bus connection”. This error repeats also when I am trying to start other services.

Hmm, that looks like systemd was not started correctly. Was the init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd option added to the kernel parameter line yet?

Quote:
I have succeeded to do so after cancel the following option:
Device Drivers --->
Generic Driver Options --->
[ ] Automount devtmpfs at /dev, after the kernel mounted the rootfs
Is the above option really not needed?

Yes, systemd absolutely needs this. It is ne[/quote]cessary to handle auto-creation of device nodes at /dev/ via udev. Systemd heavily relies on that. (it should also be the case if you use openRC with udev).
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kompi,

I am trying to implement your helpful tips however...

I changed the menuconfig and recompiled but there is something strange:
When I type uname – a I get an old kernel from DEC.30 – although I had in gentoo /boot the new kernel that I compiled today!
I tried to run again grub2 of SUSE, but the same result. In grub.cfg it's written "linux /kernel-genkernel..." -
it seems that after compiling one time with genkernel – SUSE's grub2 does not replace with the new kernel, but remain with genkernel!
I did not find any hint in google – quiet frustrating...

As I told you before I added the kernel parameter in the menuconfig as is suggested in http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd:
"Processor type and features" -> "Built-in kernel command line" -I hope it will work out with grub2/SUSE -
if not, I wiil try to do what you suggested regarding YAST - however, i have grub2, so as far as I can see, it is not the same as grub.

Quote:
If you don't have the old configuration file any more (the file is stored in /usr/src/linux/.config), you can extract it from the old kernel image this way:

How can I restore kernel's config if I replace every compiling the old compiled file with the new one with the following copy command:
cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/<your kernel image filename> - while I am using the same kernel image name each time? should I change the name each time?
I though it would be better, in order to prevent mismatch, to override the old image each compiling - but your tip is useful as well.

According my experience (not so much.. :)) - without emerge gentoo-sources the compiling takes few minutes and it seems not much happens,
but after typing emerge gentoo-sources - it takes one hour!

I changed now to -j4 - rather than -j3 - and i will see if it is better.

Thanks
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmam wrote:
As I told you before I added the kernel parameter in the menuconfig as is suggested in http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd:
"Processor type and features" -> "Built-in kernel command line" -I hope it will work out with grub2/SUSE -
if not, I wiil try to do what you suggested regarding YAST - however, i have grub2, so as far as I can see, it is not the same as grub.

that should work as well.
Yes grub2 is different, but it can do the same with respect to passing kernel paramters. You just dont edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg yourself, but something like /etc/defaults/grub.conf or so. Or, as said, use YaST to configure grub2.

Quote:
How can I restore kernel's config if I replace every compiling the old compiled file with the new one

well obviously, if you have overwritten the old kernel image and the old config file in /usr/src/linux, you cannot restore it.

Quote:
while I am using the same kernel image name each time? should I change the name each time?

You can go with the same name if you want to. I always keep a backup of an old kernel in /boot when I update, just in case I end up with something unbootable. So I can just quickly tell grub to boot the other one.

Quote:
According my experience (not so much.. :)) - without emerge gentoo-sources the compiling takes few minutes and it seems not much happens, but after typing emerge gentoo-sources - it takes one hour!

Yes, this is because emerge gentoo-sources re-installs the kernel sources and while doing so resets some files, so that you have to recompile everything you already compiled. It is correct that not much is happening if you don't emerge gentoo-sources, because the kernel build system is smart enough to only re-compile the things you have changed in the config.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kompi,

I found out what caused this frustrating problem:
Quote:
it seems that after compiling one time with genkernel – SUSE's grub2 does not replace with the new kernel, but remain with genkernel!
To get rid of Genkernel's booting we need to delete every file that has to do with it, otherwise it takes control on boot loader - First I run 'find' and deleted all genkernel's files - but the problem remain. So I found in a small partition of 128M (I guess it is boot dev) another genkernel and initramfs files - after deleted them I could boot with the new kernel. However - now I am facing with a booting problem - The system is stuck before getting to console and many errors on the screen: "VFS: cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6. Please append a correct "root=" boot option..." - If you can tell me which log file collects this info, i will put it here. May be it has any connection to kernel's parameter?

I add the "Built-in kernel command line" and also the option: "built-in command line overrides boot loader arguments" (is it right?) - but considering the current boot problem, I do not know if it works or not - even, may be SUSE's grub2 cannot accept it and causes the boot problem. I am not sure I know how to edit grub2 of SUSE - In YAST it is quiet difference from grub1 and I did not find any way to add this parameter, so i need to find out how to do it in the other way that you mentioned.
EDIT: I found out how to add the kernel parameter to grub2 - I canceled the "built-in kernel command" and tried temporary with 'e' and afterward permanently - editing file: /boot/grub2/grub.cfg - adding the parameter at the end of line that starting with 'linux...' - but I am getting the same above major error!

Your tips are very useful and make order in many pieces of info that I am collecting here and there!
Quote:
well obviously, if you have overwritten the old kernel image and the old config file in /usr/src/linux, you cannot restore it.

How do you prevent overwritten old image - are you add "old" to the kernel name before copy the new one - or you have other proper way to do it?

It is good to know that we do not need to emerge gentoo-sources every re-compiling - Thus it is shorter and "only re-compile the things you have changed in the config".

Thanks
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kompi,

I did not find out how to fix the major problem of "VFS: cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0)...".
Due to the fact that I am more familiar with kde and maybe systemd requires more experience - in order to get more confidence in gentoo and to see at last working system - and to prove to myself that gentoo is not just an 'urban roomer' :) - I decided to first install KDE and later on GNOME 3.
So I am preparing the compilation according http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE - you wrote me before:
Quote:
However, if you want to be sure you don't miss anything, have a look at the profile files which USE flags are being set for... kde profile
- how can I see it?
I am configuring USE="-gtk -gnome X qt4 kde" - need to add more flags?
EDIT: After compiling with manual config kernel, I got the same above "VFS" problem - so I switched to genkernel and now the system booting properly - It is important to figure out why I have this major booting problem in manual config? - It happened after the first time I compiled with genkernel.
After compiling should I emerge kde or other package name? EDIT: I am now 'emerge kde-meta' - takes long time for the full package...
How to remove gnome? EDIT: I removed gnome with: emerge --unmerge gnome.
Should I do something further regarding x server?
If you have any important tips please advise!

Thanks
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This error:
Quote:
VFS: cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0)

sounds like you either gave the wrong "root=" parameter pointing to your root file system. Or the kernel could not find that device. That is usually the case if you did not compile the driver for your ATA-controller into the kernel. (not as M but as *, as the kernel can't load modules before it found and mounted the root device).

But as your genkernel configuration works, I would go with that. If you need changes to that to get systemd support, just use the config from that genkernel created kernel and change that. This way you don't have to figure out all the device drivers etc.

Quote:
How do you prevent overwritten old image - are you add "old" to the kernel name before copy the new one - or you have other proper way to do it?

If you use genkernel, you can just manually rename the files before executing genkernel again. Just do a "mv /boot/<kernel-name> /boot/<kernel-name.old>" or similar.

I usually keep at least one old kernel version, but use symlinks so I don't have to constantly reconfigure grub. I have two entries in grub, one called "gentoo linux" and one is "gentoo linux (old kernel)". The first points to /boot/bzImage, the second to /boot/bzImage.old. While both of these files are actually symlinks to the current kernel and the last known working kernel. So if I update, I just remove the symlinks and set them to the new kernel image names. If you are using genkernel, and rebuild a kernel with the same version, you would have to rename the kernel image before running genkernel though.

As for the profile USE flags: you find all the KDE specific portage config files in: /usr/portage/profiles/targets/desktop/kde. There is a make.defaults file with the default USE flags for KDE.

Quote:
After compiling should I emerge kde or other package name? EDIT: I am now 'emerge kde-meta' - takes long time for the full package...

Yes, KDE is huge and takes some time to compile. kde-meta pulls in all of KDE, includings all KDE apps etc. If you don't want everything you could as well go with kdebase-meta and merge all the apps you really need manually, as described in http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE#Packages. For now, I would just merge the kde-meta and worry about that later, if you
actually find that there is too much installed.

Quote:
How to remove gnome? EDIT: I removed gnome with: emerge --unmerge gnome. Should I do something further regarding x server?

"emerge --unmerge gnome" should only remove the meta-package, but not neccessarily all dependencies that have been pulled in by that package. If you want to make sure everything is removed try the following after the --unmerge:
Code:
emerge --depclean --ask

This unmerges all installed packages that are not needed for any package in the world set (any more). The "world set" is all packages you have manually emerged and not unmerged. (except if you merge with "--oneshot"). A list of those is stored in /var/lib/portage/world BTW.
As you have unmerge gnome, this therefore should remove everything that was only neccessary for gnome.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kompi,

Quote:
just use the config from that genkernel created kernel and change that. This way you don't have to figure out all the device drivers etc.

It is a good idea - Please inform me how can I import the menuconfig of genkernel to the manual kernel config?

Quote:
you find all the KDE specific portage config files in: /usr/portage/profiles/targets/desktop/kde. There is a make.defaults file with the default USE flags for KDE.

I found there the following Use flags: consolekit, declarative, dri, kde, kipi, phonon, plasma, policykit, semantic-deskt-dektop, xcomposite, xinerama, xscreensaver -
I really need all these flags? I also can see that some flags are missing here, at least: qt?

Quote:
I usually keep at least one old kernel version, but use symlinks so I don't have to constantly reconfigure grub

As it is a sensitive issue - Can you please write down the exact commands to create symlinks and to remove it after kernel's updating?

Thanks
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is a good idea - Please inform me how can I import the menuconfig of genkernel to the manual kernel config?

I'm not sure, but I think genkernel should save the kernel configuration to you /usr/src/linux dir, just as if you would have configured it manually. Look if there is a file called .config in this directory, if it is, that's your config file.

If it is not, there are two ways to retrieve the kernel configuration. If the kernel was compiled with the IKCONFIG option, which I believe genkernel will set, then you can get it from a running kernel via /proc/config.gz. Have a look if this node exists in your /proc dir. If so, you can gunzip it and copy it to /usr/src/linux/.config, and then use it with menuconfig:
Code:
# check if it is there:
ls /proc/config.gz
# extract it:
gunzip -c /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config
# go to the kernel src dir
cd /usr/src/linux
# only if kernel version is different: update the config file with new options
make oldconfig
# now run menuconfig
make menuconfig

If the /proc/config.gz file is not present or you want to extract the config of a kernel that is not currently running, you can use the script /usr/src/linux/scripts/extract-ikconfig. Instead of the "gunzip" line from above, you would do:
Code:
/usr/src/linux/scripts/extract-ikconfig /boot/[YOUR_KERNEL_IMAGE_FILE]  > /usr/src/linux/.config

Quote:
Can you please write down the exact commands to create symlinks and to remove it after kernel's updating?

Well, assume your old kernel image file is called /boot/bzImage-3.10 and you want to upgrade to 3.12, hence you will call the new one /boot/bzImage/bzImage-3.12, and you symlinks are called /boot/bzImage and /boot/bzImage.old, which are the ones referenced in grub. Then your config before the update would look something like this:

files in /boot:
Code:
bzimage-3.10  # your current kernel
bzImage.3.9    # your previous old kernel
bzImage -> ./bzImage-3.10     # symlink to current kernel
bzImage.old -> ./bzImage-3.9  # previous old kernel

Your grub.conf would look like this (note: this is grub-1 syntax, I guess it would look a bit different in grub-2, but just look at the kernel file names, that's the important part here):
Code:
title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/bzImage <KERNEL COMMAND LINE OPTIONS>

title=Gentoo Linux (old kernel)
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/bzImage.old <KERNEL COMMAND LINE OPTIONS>

Now, if you want to upgrade to 3.12, you remove the old 3.9er version, as well as the link to the current kernel. Then you set the bzImage link to you new current version and the bzImage.old link to the 3.10er kernel. That would look like this:
Code:
# copy your new kernel image to /boot (assuming you did a manual compile):
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-3.12
# overwrite symlinks with new ones:
ln -s -f /boot/bzImage-3.12 /boot/bzImage
ln -s -f /boot/bzImage-3.10 /boot/bzImage.old
# remove very old kernel
rm /boot/bzImage-3.9

Of couse, if you are changing the config but keep the same version, you would have to name the kernels differently. Assume you are running 3.10 but want to change some options:
Code:
# rename old /boot/bzImage-3.10 to another name first
mv /boot/bzImage-3.10 /boot/bzImage-3.10.old
# now copy the new kernel to /boot:
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-3.10
# and relink thoose two:
ln -s -f /boot/bzImage-3.10 /boot/bzImage
ln -s -f /boot/bzImage-3.10.old /boot/bzImage.old

If you are using genkernel to change the config of a kernel with the same version, you should of course rename the kernel image of the old kernel before you run genkernel, so it does not get overridden.

Of course the name "bzImage" is just an example. You can name it as you like, say /boot/kernel-gentoo-3.10 or whatever you prefer.

Quote:
I found there the following Use flags: consolekit, declarative, dri, kde, kipi, phonon, plasma, policykit, semantic-deskt-dektop, xcomposite, xinerama, xscreensaver -
I really need all these flags? I also can see that some flags are missing here, at least: qt?

No, you don't really need all of them. As mentioned, those are some sensible defaults that include stuff most people would expect from a default KDE install. For example, the xscreensaver is not really needed to run KDE, however most people would want a screensaver, so it is enabled. The "xinerama" USE flag you only really need if you have more than one display. On the other hand, some are a very good idea like the "kde" flag. I would count "qt" in as "very good idea" as well, don't know why it is not included. Others like "plasma" for example is, i think, kind of sort of optional (the plasma desktop with widgets and stuff), but a very good idea to have a working KDE desktop.

So yes, you can safely skip some of those if you know you won't need or don't want them. That's what USE flags are for. If you do not know what they mean, you can find out using the "euse" utility from the app-portage/gentoolkit package:
Code:
# install if you don't have it yet:
emerge gentoolkit
# get info about a certain USE flag, let's say xinerama:
euse -I xinerama

This prints you some general info about the use flag, which packages are using it, and - if available - package specific info about what the flag does to particular packages. Very useful tool.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kompi,

I suceeded to compile with genkernel - the system booting ok and afterward there is a sign -a small circle turned around in the middle of the screen - I suppose this is the sign for starting KDE - however it is crashed and goes back to the terminal. How can I debuge this problem? Here are the last part of some log files: Xorg.5.log, dmesg and kdm.

Thanks

Code:

20.914] (II) LoadModule: "nv"
[    20.914] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nv
[    20.914] (II) UnloadModule: "nv"
[    20.914] (II) Unloading nv
[    20.914] (EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
[    20.914] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[    20.914] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module vesa
[    20.914] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
[    20.914] (II) Unloading vesa
[    20.914] (EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
[    20.914] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[    20.914] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module modesetting
[    20.914] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[    20.914] (II) Unloading modesetting
[    20.915] (EE) Failed to load module "modesetting" (module does not exist, 0)
[    20.915] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[    20.915] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
[    20.915] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
[    20.915] (II) Unloading fbdev
[    20.915] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[    20.915] (II) NOUVEAU driver
[    20.915] (II) NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :
[    20.915]    RIVA TNT        (NV04)
[    20.915]    RIVA TNT2       (NV05)
[    20.915]    GeForce 256     (NV10)
[    20.915]    GeForce 2       (NV11, NV15)
[    20.915]    GeForce 4MX     (NV17, NV18)
[    20.915]    GeForce 3       (NV20)
[    20.915]    GeForce 4Ti     (NV25, NV28)
[    20.916]    GeForce FX      (NV3x)
[    20.916]    GeForce 6       (NV4x)
[    20.916]    GeForce 7       (G7x)
[    20.916]    GeForce 8       (G8x)
[    20.916]    GeForce GTX 200 (NVA0)
[    20.916]    GeForce GTX 400 (NVC0)
[    20.916] (++) using VT number 7

[    20.924] (EE) [drm] KMS not enabled
[    20.924] (EE) No devices detected.
[    20.924] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[    20.924] (EE) no screens found(EE)
[    20.924] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
[    20.924] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.5.log" for additional information.
[    20.924] (EE)

Code:

20.900178] systemd-udevd[15526]: renamed network interface eth0 to enp3s1
[   20.913729] FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
[   20.955515] input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input4
[   21.095563] microcode: CPU0 sig=0xf64, pf=0x4, revision=0x0
[   21.133000] microcode: CPU1 sig=0xf64, pf=0x4, revision=0x0
[   21.134471] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.00 <tigran@aivazian.fsnet.co.uk>, Peter Oruba
[   21.296987] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: irq 42 for MSI/MSI-X
[   21.876042] systemd-sysctl[15535]: Overwriting earlier assignment of kernel/sysrq in file '/usr/lib64/sysctl.d/60-gentoo.conf'.
[   22.570274] EXT4-fs (sdb5): Unrecognized mount option "default" or missing value
[   24.365270] EXT4-fs (sdb7): re-mounted. Opts: (null)
[   24.497364] Adding 1023996k swap on /dev/sdb6.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:1023996k

Code:

Loading extension GLX
resize called 1280 1024
KCrash: Application 'kdmgreet' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi directly
(EE) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
Initializing built-in extension XTEST
Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
Initializing built-in extension SYNC
Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
Initializing built-in extension RENDER
Initializing built-in extension RANDR
Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
Initializing built-in extension RECORD
Initializing built-in extension DPMS
Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
Initializing built-in extension XVideo
Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
Initializing built-in extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DGA
Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DRI
Initializing built-in extension DRI2
Loading extension GLX
resize called 1280 1024
KCrash: Application 'kdmgreet' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi directly
(EE) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Last edited by pmam on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be the important clou:
Quote:
[ 20.924] (EE) [drm] KMS not enabled
[ 20.924] (EE) No devices detected.

Kernel mode setting driver (nouveau) is not loaded. We are back to the beginning. You either do not have the nouveau kernel module loaded or you are using some other frame buffer driver (like vesa) at boot.

If nouveau is compiled as a module, add a file called /etc/modules-load.d/nouveau.conf, containing just one line with the module name:
Code:
nouveau

Note: this is the way to tell systemd to load modules at boot. Previously in openRC you had to edit /etc/conf.d/modules, which will be ignored by systemd.

If nouveau is compiled into your kernel, make sure to have the "nouveau.modeset=1" option in the kernel command line in grub.

If none of that changes this error message, have a look at your kernel config, make sure you have the following:

1. nouveau enabled:
Code:
Device Drivers --> Graphics support -->
<M> or <*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support) 
<M> or <*> Nouveau (nVidia) cards

2. nvidia framebuffer support MUST BE disabled:
Code:
Device Drivers --> Graphics support --> Support for frame buffer devices -->
< >   nVidia Framebuffer Support

3. All other frame buffer hardware devices should not be necessary. Although nouveau should take precendence anyway, to be safe, you might make sure that no other is enabled here, especially those generic ones:
Code:
Device Drivers --> Graphics support --> Support for frame buffer devices -->
< >   VGA 16-color graphics support                                                 
< >   Userspace VESA VGA graphics support                                                         
[ ]   VESA VGA graphics support

You won't need any of them anyways if you have nouveau.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kompi,

I made many changes during our discussions, so I would like to be sure that we are talking on the same situation:
Quote:
Note: this is the way to tell systemd to load modules at boot. Previously in openRC you had to edit /etc/conf.d/modules, which will be ignored by systemd.

As I mentioned before, I am now trying to install KDE - not systemd - instead of the gnome 3 systemd - so, I am now in openRC.

At the moment nouveau is compiled into the kernel - Due to the fact that I am using the grub2 of SUSE, but not the grub of gentoo -
where should I add "nouveau.modeset=1" option? Should I add it as a "Built-in kernel command line" or add to SUSE's grub2 - Then, how exactly?

If I will change and compile nouveau as a module - I need to
Quote:
add a file called /etc/modules-load.d/nouveau.conf,
-
or it is refered to 'systemd' only? If not - what I need to do in 'openRC'?

Quote:
1. nouveau enabled:
Code:
Device Drivers --> Graphics support -->
<M> or <*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
<M> or <*> Nouveau (nVidia) cards

Already done - <*>

2. and 3. Also already done - All Frame buffer drivers are disabled! - I did not check any of them at all!

Thanks
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, okay, I thought you would still use systemd.
Quote:
or it is refered to 'systemd' only? If not - what I need to do in 'openRC'?

Yes, /etc/module-load.d/ is the way module loding is configured in systemd. With openRC you need to edit /etc/conf.d/modules. There should be an option 'modules=', where you just have to add nouveau:
Quote:
modules="nouveau"

However, this is only necessary if you have nouveau compiled as a module, as opposed to in-kernel.
Quote:
At the moment nouveau is compiled into the kernel - Due to the fact that I am using the grub2 of SUSE, but not the grub of gentoo -
where should I add "nouveau.modeset=1" option? Should I add it as a "Built-in kernel command line" or add to SUSE's grub2 - Then, how exactly?

Both should work. The built-in command line is the default the kernel always uses, if not otherwise set by the boot loader. It is however usually easier to set it in the boot loader, as you don't have to recompile your kernel everytime, especially for testing.

For SuSE/Grub2 there is some generic info here: http://activedoc.opensuse.org/book/opensuse-reference/chapter-10-the-boot-loader-grub2

For your specific problem to configure the kernel parameters of another distri that was detected by grub2's os-prober, I would follow this suggestion from answer 1 here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/332293/how-can-i-set-kernel-parameters-for-a-specific-installation-involving-os-prober

Quote:
2. and 3. Also already done - All Frame buffer drivers are disabled! - I did not check any of them at all!

very good. then I guess all that's missing is the nouveau.modeset=1 option. Otherwise I cannot explain why X would complain about KMS (=kernel mode setting) not enabled.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kompi,

I tried to define DRM and nouveau as in-kernel with the command line, and afterward as modules with modules="nouveau" in /etc/conf.d/modules -
but the same result - KMS not enabled.

I do not know if the following info may help but when I type: lspci, I get 2 lines regarding VGA:
1. VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA corporation G86 [GeForce 8400 GS](rev a1)
2. Non-VGA unclassified device: Chips and Technologies Device 8139(rev 10)

regarding line 1: It is ok and I suppose that nouveau is suitable, but is there something wrong with the second line, referring my KMS problem, or it is ok?

Any way, I will try to take the same menuconfig from genkernel, as you suggested, and try to manual compile and see if there is any improvement.

If you have any other idea or a different way to debug, please let me know.

Thanks
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some more info about enabling KMS with nouveau: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/KernelModeSetting/

It says you must also have the CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE option enabled and compiled into the kernel. In menuconfig this is:
Code:
Device Drivers --> Graphics support --> Console display driver support -->
<*> Framebuffer Console support

The info there below "Am I running KMS?" might help to find a problem as well.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kompi,

I have a vogue feeling that the troubles I am facing with gentoo, are due to the fact I am trying install it in another linux distri - may be because of not using the grub of gentoo or some thing else, I do not know. I thought it is a quite common way of installing - usually we have a working linux and we want to add gentoo - however, now I am not sure - may be the majority installations are gentoo's stand alone, so there is not much info in gentoo's docs and not many users have experience with the same problems...
For instance, I am facing again with a strange problem: When I am compiling the kernel with genkernel - The system is boot up, I have the KMS problem, however, I get at least a console.
But when I am using the same config of genkernel, but compile with manual config, the system stuck in boot stage and I get fatal errors like: "VFS: cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0), panic" - I even do not get a console. I do not know if I have a log file at this stage, so I can put here the errors...
This situation is quiet frustrating - I am really do not know where I am going from here - may be I will manage to have another computer and try to install gentoo alone.

Quote:
Device Drivers --> Graphics support --> Console display driver support -->
<*> Framebuffer Console support

I have done this already - I saw it before in one of the many tutorials I have read... :)

Thanks
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kompi,

Finally I found an hard disk - an old one and quiet small... 8.4G :) - however, it seems that my 'vogue feeling' mentioned in my last post was quiet right:
The installation was much better - with manual kernel configuration - no need of genkernel - the system booting up and I am getting the terminal without the panic errors:
"VFS: cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0), panic". Probably there is obstacle when installing gentoo in another linux (Suse in my case) so I will need to handle this issue later on - maybe I will try VM - but I am not familiar with at all - any tip regarding HOWTO start VM with gentoo will be appreciated.

However, at the moment I still do not get kde working and i will try to describe what i have already done:

1. set 'default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde' with 'eselect profile set'
2. compile the kernel: DRM and nouveau into kernel with buit-in kernel comand line: nouveau.modeset=1
3. emerge xorg-server according this HOWTO: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Configuration
4. emerge kdebase-meta according this HOWTO: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE
5. USE flags: I leave the flags that remains from the gentoo live DOK - bindist mmx sse sse2 - I hope it is ok?
and add the following flags: qt4 kde X dbus plasma -gtk -gnome.
6. add services: /etc/init.d/xdm and /etc/init.d/dbus - I tried to add etc/init.d/consolekit according this http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Troubleshooting -
but it is failed - I do not know if it is important?
7. emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse @world

When I hit startkde I get: "$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server"
I emerged xterm and twm and when hit startx I get three little windows, so I assume that X is ok.
When i tried to install gnome you advised me to "edit your /etc/gdm/custom.conf file and add the following to the [debug] section:Code:[debug] Enable=true" -
how can I do it with KDE? Please let me know how to debug and what log files to check -
The problem now is that I do not have GUI so it is more difficult to send log files, but I will try to manage...

Thanks
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmam wrote:
The installation was much better - with manual kernel configuration - no need of genkernel - the system booting up and I am getting the terminal without the panic errors
"VFS: cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0), panic". Probably there is obstacle when installing gentoo in another linux (Suse in my case) so I will need to handle this issue later on -

Hmm, that's odd, grub2 from SuSE with the same options shouldn't do anything different than grub from gentoo - but good that it does work now! Maybe that is some problem for you to figure out later once you have your gentoo up and running the way you feel comfortable with.

pmam wrote:

maybe I will try VM - but I am not familiar with at all - any tip regarding HOWTO start VM with gentoo will be appreciated.

There are different ways to do a fully virtualized box, like kvm-qemu, XEN, virtualbox etc. I would suggest starting with virtualbox, it is very easy to set up and has a nice GUI and wizzard to create VMs.

Installing is quite easy:
Code:
emerge -av virtualbox

Virtualbox required some out-of-tree kernel modules, that will be installed via the "virtualbox-modules" package. Note that this means, whenever you recompile or compile a new kernel, you should re-emerge that package. Either with:
Code:
emerge virtualbox-modules

or you could use portage's modules-rebuild set, to re-emerge all kernel-module related packages you have installed:
Code:
emerge @module-rebuild

If you have your graphical desktop environment set up, you can now start vitualbox. It should be in your menu. Or you just type "VirtualBox" in a terminal to start the GUI binary.

From there you start the wizard to generate a new VM. You follow the steps, select the kind of OS/Distribution you want to install in a VM and the wizards takes care of reasonable defaults for that OS. You create a virtual block device as you hard drive and then you have your VM.

Next step is to start the VM, mount an installation medium (preferably an .iso image). You do that by clicking on the CD-ROM icon at the bottom and select a file to use.

Now it should be able to boot the VM from that ISO image and install away, as you would on a bare metal machine. Only thing to add to normal install is the virtualbox guest additions, which install some drivers to integrate clipboard, mouse and display size etc. On a gentoo guest you would just do a:
Code:
emerge virtualbox-guest-additions

For most OSes you can also use the guest addition ISO that comes with virtualbox. You can choose "install guest additions" from the menu somewhere. THat is especially the way to do it if you run OSes like windows as guests.

Some more info here: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/VirtualBox

Quote:
5. USE flags: I leave the flags that remains from the gentoo live DOK - bindist mmx sse sse2 - I hope it is ok?
and add the following flags: qt4 kde X dbus plasma -gtk -gnome.
6. add services: /etc/init.d/xdm and /etc/init.d/dbus - I tried to add etc/init.d/consolekit according this http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Troubleshooting -
but it is failed - I do not know if it is important?

The USE flags should be fine. xdm and dbus are neccessary. Consolekit, humm, might be that kdm does need it. It is used to handle and track user sessions correctly, so it should be a good thing to have, especially if you have problems loging in, that could be it. But I think KDM should be able to do without it, when it is merged without the "consolekit" USE flag. But I would not do that, this might break things.

If you have a syslogger installed, you might find some info why consolekit failed in the /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog files. Search for consolekit. Like this for example:

Code:
cat /var/log/messages | grep consolekit | less

Quote:

When I hit startkde I get: "$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server"
I emerged xterm and twm and when hit startx I get three little windows, so I assume that X is ok.

Did you try to type startkde in one of them xterm windows after you did a "startx"? This error message says more or less that no X-server is running. I guess the startkde command expects to be invoked from within a started X environment.

However, to start a login manager you should just have to type: "kdm" from the text console as root.

To start it at boot (with openrc) you need to put "kdm" in the /etc/rc.conf's "DISPLAY_MANAGER=" variable, as you did at the beginning with gdm. And then do a "rc-update add xdm".

To debug kdm like you did with gdm, according to this man page, you can start kde with the "-debug" option. Something like:
Code:
kdm -debug 255 -error /var/log/kdm.log

This should give you lots and lots of output to the file specified with the -error parameter.

Quote:
The problem now is that I do not have GUI so it is more difficult to send log files, but I will try to manage...

If that becomes necessary, you might get it done by using the three xterm-windows basic X session you have. Emerge a simple window manager, like say metacity:
Code:
emerge metacity

Then startx:
Code:
startx

and start metacity from one of the three terminals:
Code:
metacity &

Now you should have managed windows and should be able to copy+paste stuff around. You could try to start firefox from a terminal:
Code:
firefox &

and try if you can copy things from you xterm windows. Or from a graphical text editor you start the same way, say kate, the KDE default editor:
Code:
kate &
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kompi,

Thanks for your important tips regarding virtualbox - I will need it once I will have KDE working.
You described how to install, with VM, another dist on gentoo - I am also considering to install gentoo, by VM, on SUSE or Windows.

Quote:
Code:
cat /var/log/messages | grep consolekit | less
- I did not find any error message regarding consolekit -at the moment I leave it - probably it is not the cause for the KDE problem.

Quote:
Did you try to type startkde in one of them xterm windows after you did a "startx"? This error message says more or less that no X-server is running. I guess the startkde command expects to be invoked from within a started X environment.

When I am trying to type startkde from xterm window, I get for a moment a nice KDE screen but immidiatly afterward it disapears and I get this massage:
"Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed. Error massage was: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)"

Quote:
However, to start a login manager you should just have to type: "kdm" from the text console as root.

Nothing happens when I type kde from console.

I already have put DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm" in /etc/conf.d/xdm.

Quote:
Code:
kdm -debug 255 -error /var/log/kdm.log

I do not find here any hint.

I emerge metacity - By the way, It tooks a half day -is it normal or something wrong in my computer?
Any way, after startx I typed metacity & in one window and I get: "Window manager warning: Failed to load theme Adwaita: Failed to find a valid file for theme Adwaita.
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display":3" already has a window manager."

firefox & - I typed from terminal but not working. kate & not working from xterm window. Should I install these packages, or it should be included in metacity?

Plase advise.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: