wired NetworkManager not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: wired NetworkManager not working Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a stable gnome 3.8 + systemd amd64 on my machine, my ISP doesn't use ipv6, yet it is supported by my kernel configuration (according to systemd manual)
The problem is: when I enable NetworkManager, the nm-applet shows on my top panel but can't connect to my wired network, when NetworkManager is disabled then it connects right away (after a reboot).
another weired thing is - when the ipv6 turned on- I can surf for a few seconds until it fails to connect, but when it's turned off and only ipv4 is enabled, then I can't surf at all :?
all the ipv4 options in nm-applet are configured to Automatic and I use dhcp (dhcpcd)

What can I do in order to make it work please?
N8Fear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your Networkmanager and your dhcpcd are clashing. IIRC (don't use Networkmanager anymore) you should enable only one of the two. If Networkmanager handles the connection it also takes care of dhcp (via dhcpcd). In this case dhcpcd is not needed but also counterproductive as a boot up service.

Edit:( concerning ipv6) If you use a router it's possible that you can use ipv6 locally even if your ISP doesn't support it. It's just inside your LAN in that case.
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N8Fear wrote:
Sounds like your Networkmanager and your dhcpcd are clashing. IIRC (don't use Networkmanager anymore) you should enable only one of the two. If Networkmanager handles the connection it also takes care of dhcp (via dhcpcd). In this case dhcpcd is not needed but also counterproductive as a boot up service.

Edit:( concerning ipv6) If you use a router it's possible that you can use ipv6 locally even if your ISP doesn't support it. It's just inside your LAN in that case.

awesome! you've nailed it at first shot :D but what took you so long? (just kidding). for future references, here's what I did:
# systemctl disable dhcpcd
# systemctl enable NetworkManager
# reboot
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: