Oh! The Mactardness!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Oh! The Mactardness! Reply with quote

That is default Gnome 3.8 ...

Well done ...

Even hot corners ...

Slowly backing away ... and hurriedly looking for flame suit.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRWTF is: it took you till Gnome 3.8 to realise that the interface has been redesigned by 12 year olds for their dogs...

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hot corner in Gnome is great .....
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh! The Mactardness! Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:
Even hot corners ...
Some environment on Linux had 'hot corners' a long time ago. Seemed like a nice option. Disclaimer: I think GNOME was better at 1.2 than it is now.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
TRWTF is: it took you till Gnome 3.8 to realise that the interface has been redesigned by 12 year olds for their dogs...

:lol:

Too close to the truth.
Greens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just upgraded to find gnome3 was in the stable repos?

I try to stay far away from gnome and gnome dependencies, at least as much I can. I still use gedit and gnome-disks, that's about it. I however really did like nautilus2, but decided to switch to caja from Mate. (Literally nautilus2)

https://github.com/mate-desktop/

I personally have no clue what gnome devs were thinking. There's only 4 big complaints I have to make.

1) No taskbar, but can be solved with tint2.
2) Taking up 100% of your screen to open a program is something I don't like. Opening programs is now a pain because there's no real menu.
3) They completely fugged up nautilus, really badly.
4) Eyecandy effects take up unreasonable amount of graphic resources.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desktop environments are for noobs and pussies. :P
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greens wrote:
You just upgraded to find gnome3 was in the stable repos?

I try to stay far away from gnome and gnome dependencies, at least as much I can. I still use gedit and gnome-disks, that's about it. I however really did like nautilus2, but decided to switch to caja from Mate. (Literally nautilus2)

https://github.com/mate-desktop/

I personally have no clue what gnome devs were thinking. There's only 4 big complaints I have to make.

1) No taskbar, but can be solved with tint2.
2) Taking up 100% of your screen to open a program is something I don't like. Opening programs is now a pain because there's no real menu.
3) They completely fugged up nautilus, really badly.
4) Eyecandy effects take up unreasonable amount of graphic resources.
Why go to a fork of Gnome 2 when you can go to a fork of Gnome 3 that looks like Gnome 2, i.e. Cinnamon

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Linux community fascinates me. Walk up to Windows and OSX users and say, "Hey, Microsoft/Apple are offering an alternative desktop environment. If you like the old one, you can stick to old one and the alternative will not bother you at all. Nonono, it's not a replacement like how Windows 8 replaced the old desktop enviromnent, it's completely optional." They will say, "Oh cool." or "Naaaaah, the old one's fine."

Linux users are the only people that will scream bloody murder and swear that the people who worked hard on the new desktop environment are a bunch of douchebags and should have their teeth kicked in for daring do something new.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you missed the roll-out of Windows 4.0, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows Vista and Windows 8, not to mention MacOS 8, and MacOS 9.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
The Linux community fascinates me. Walk up to Windows and OSX users and say, "Hey, Microsoft/Apple are offering an alternative desktop environment. If you like the old one, you can stick to old one and the alternative will not bother you at all. Nonono, it's not a replacement like how Windows 8 replaced the old desktop enviromnent, it's completely optional." They will say, "Oh cool." or "Naaaaah, the old one's fine."

Linux users are the only people that will scream bloody murder and swear that the people who worked hard on the new desktop environment are a bunch of douchebags and should have their teeth kicked in for daring do something new.

I can only say systemd, necessary to run gnome 3.x are making inroads to the linux kernel. The whole gnome 3.x/systemd is a conspiracy to overrule the usual *nix thinking.
Quote:

Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a universal interface.

This is a disaster. I think GNOME 3.x is a backdoor to defile the integrity of the kernel it self.
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Maybe you missed the roll-out of Windows 4.0, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows Vista and Windows 8, not to mention MacOS 8, and MacOS 9.

Which one of them had more than two desktop environments that you can choose from?
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
I can only say systemd, necessary to run gnome 3.x are making inroads to the linux kernel. The whole gnome 3.x/systemd is a conspiracy to overrule the usual *nix thinking.

No, some features for Gnome 3.X require systemd because systemd is the only program that implements the abstraction layer that 3.X requires. I had a 3.8 desktop running for a while on OpenRC, the only thing that didn't work was suspend. I had to pull in systemd, but is that really harming anything?

patrix_neo wrote:
Quote:

Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a universal interface.

This is a disaster. I think GNOME 3.x is a backdoor to defile the integrity of the kernel it self.

Do you read aloud the things you write?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Which one of them had more than two desktop environments that you can choose from?

Oh, I see what you meant. You meant old one and new one at the same time.

I don't see it that way; I see it as two use cases: tablet/small-screen vs. keyboard/mouse/large-screen.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:

No, some features for Gnome 3.X require systemd because systemd is the only program that implements the abstraction layer that 3.X requires. I had a 3.8 desktop running for a while on OpenRC, the only thing that didn't work was suspend. I had to pull in systemd, but is that really harming anything?

I can only see this as the beginning to open up more dependencies between the kernel and surrounding system component. Even devs around systemd has said they want to interfere with the kernel development in the future.
This I see as a bad thing. Soon I think we can see it as a micro kernel.

patrix_neo wrote:
Quote:

Mardok45 wrote:

I hope I made myself clear now how I think anyways.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh! The Mactardness! Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
flysideways wrote:
Even hot corners ...
Some environment on Linux had 'hot corners' a long time ago. Seemed like a nice option. Disclaimer: I think GNOME was better at 1.2 than it is now.

gnome 1.4 was the best gnome ever. Since then it can be described as constantly going down.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved on to xfce and razor-qt. The last xfce had some major bugs, so I installed razor-qt and have been using it (though I haven't been at my desktop in a couple/few weeks).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
patrix_neo wrote:

patrix_neo wrote:
Quote:

hm, KDE can do that without systemd. So are gnome devs incompetent (of course they are...) or evil (well, a lot of them work for Redhat)?

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:

hm, KDE can do that without systemd. So are gnome devs incompetent (of course they are...) or evil (well, a lot of them work for Redhat)?

They are truly despicable. And since the changes aren't just with the systemd added, but the kernel gets major architectural overhauls and less control as I have read about it. No matter what, everyone sooner or later will be affected/crippled by "smoother" and solutions of "elegance" (read systemwide breakdowns). My prediction and I hope I am wrong o/c.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: