This is why I love Salman Rushdie.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: This is why I love Salman Rushdie. Reply with quote

Salman Rushdie on Bill Maher last year. He is so switched on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1lZnXUe0qY

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you discuss Rushdie with your muzzie friends over the Christmas Goose?
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
No but we did discuss radical muzzies. They said that normal muslims never see them because they stick with each other. Normal muslims hate them and they hate normal muslims.

I suppose it's no different to any form of radicalism whether it be religion (Christianity, Islam), political (communists, nazis) racial (KKK, black panthers) etc. They all tend to stick together because their theories are wild, often stupid and not accepted by the vast majority so you could even put education in that category as well.

But you should watch the video

Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:

Are you a christian or are you still a healthy shamanistic native? :)
aCOSwt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working in England in the times of the controversy about the Satanic Verses.
I remember of a club grouping readers having managed to read more than the first ten pages of whatever Rushdie's book.
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butts McCracken wrote:
But you should watch the video
I really don't have an opinion on the man one way or another. Other than being famous for having a nutjob threaten to kill him, he seems no more notable than anyone else. But since I'd have to listen to Maher, I'd need more of a reason than "this is why I like Rushdie."

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: This is why I love Salman Rushdie. Reply with quote

Butts McCracken wrote:

Could you just give a summary for me?
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Old School wrote:

I'm an agnostic recovering Christian.

I did have one heck of a religious experience once. It involved a fast combined with a sweat tent and peyote. It was then I discovered my spirit animal companion. It was even later confirmed unknowingly by my wife. She saw it outside our house in an open field. But it really wasn't there. :)
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Prenj wrote:
Old School wrote:

I'm an agnostic recovering Christian.

I did have one heck of a religious experience once. It involved a fast combined with a sweat tent and peyote. It was then I discovered my spirit animal companion. It was even later confirmed unknowingly by my wife. She saw it outside our house in an open field. But it really wasn't there. :)

Heh cool :)
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: This is why I love Salman Rushdie. Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Butts McCracken wrote:

Could you just give a summary for me?
9/11 liberals, not all religions are the same, people should stop apologising for Islam.

Basically your kind of 3 min video

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So-called "9/11 Liberals" are bunch of sheltered, herd-following Betas. The only way anybody could be shocked by 9/11 and have their world-view radically changed by it (for example, a moral re-evaluation of religions) is if they didn't understand the real world in which they live to begin with. Think about it.

No, really: read that sentence again and think about it.

These so-called "9/11 Liberals" are not "bad" people, per se, but they should not be allowed to vote or do anything that affects the lives of others (for example, be parents, teachers, public servants, etc.), and they certainly should not be allowed to flap their lips on television where they can spread their ignorance and distorted views to others.

Just because they now realize they were wrong about that one particular thing doesn't mean they have become wise, and it doesn't mean they understand that they are ignorant in very important ways and should therefore shut the fuck up. It is incumbent upon others make sure they learn the appropriate lesson from the experience and alter their behavior accordingly.

That said, they are better than the knee-jerking, brainwashed True Believers leading the herd they had been following. At least they have begun to question, and that is the seed from which wisdom sprouts.
aCOSwt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
they have begun to question, and that is the seed from which wisdom sprouts.

8)
I know now that I have not posted 2000+ messages in vain !
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
So-called "9/11 Liberals" are bunch of sheltered, herd-following Betas. The only way anybody could be shocked by 9/11 and have their world-view radically changed by it (for example, a moral re-evaluation of religions) is if they didn't understand the real world in which they live to begin with. Think about it.

These so-called "9/11 Liberals" are not "bad" people, per se, but they should not be allowed to vote or do anything that affects the lives of others (for example, be parents, teachers, public servants, etc.), and they certainly should not be allowed to flap their lips on television where they can spread their ignorance and distorted views to others.

Just because they now realize they were wrong about that one particular thing doesn't mean they have become wise, and it doesn't mean they understand that they are ignorant in very important ways and should therefore shut the fuck up. It is incumbent upon others make sure they learn the appropriate lesson from the experience and alter their behavior accordingly.

That said, they are better than the knee-jerking, brainwashed True Believers leading the herd they had been following. At least they have begun to question, and that is the seed from which wisdom sprouts.
Although I agree with most of what you are saying I disagree with this:
Quote:
Just because they now realize they were wrong about that one particular thing doesn't mean they have become wise, and it doesn't mean they understand that they are ignorant in very important ways and should therefore shut the fuck up
Surely anyone would be MORE stupid to make the same mistakes, not re-evaluate and expect a different results?

Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
they have begun to question, and that is the seed from which wisdom sprouts.

8)
I know now that I have not posted 2000+ messages in vain !
yeah but you lost your cool avatar :P

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butts McCracken wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Quote:
Just because they now realize they were wrong about that one particular thing doesn't mean they have become wise, and it doesn't mean they understand that they are ignorant in very important ways and should therefore shut the fuck up
Surely anyone would be MORE stupid to make the same mistakes, not re-evaluate and expect a different results?

I have no idea what you are trying to say, but I'm not sure it's worth your effort to explain yourself, so I won't ask.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Butts McCracken wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Quote:

I have no idea what you are trying to say, but I'm not sure it's worth your effort to explain yourself, so I won't ask.
k

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: