Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
This is why I love Salman Rushdie.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3313

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: This is why I love Salman Rushdie. Reply with quote

Salman Rushdie on Bill Maher last year. He is so switched on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1lZnXUe0qY
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 234
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you discuss Rushdie with your muzzie friends over the Christmas Goose?
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3313

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
So did you discuss Rushdie with your muzzie friends over the Christmas Goose?
No but we did discuss radical muzzies. They said that normal muslims never see them because they stick with each other. Normal muslims hate them and they hate normal muslims.

I suppose it's no different to any form of radicalism whether it be religion (Christianity, Islam), political (communists, nazis) racial (KKK, black panthers) etc. They all tend to stick together because their theories are wild, often stupid and not accepted by the vast majority so you could even put education in that category as well.

But you should watch the video
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
So did you discuss Rushdie with your muzzie friends over the Christmas Goose?

Are you a christian or are you still a healthy shamanistic native? :)
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aCOSwt
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Oct 2007
Posts: 2375
Location: Hilbert space

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working in England in the times of the controversy about the Satanic Verses.
I remember of a club grouping readers having managed to read more than the first ten pages of whatever Rushdie's book.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16090
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butts McCracken wrote:
But you should watch the video
I really don't have an opinion on the man one way or another. Other than being famous for having a nutjob threaten to kill him, he seems no more notable than anyone else. But since I'd have to listen to Maher, I'd need more of a reason than "this is why I like Rushdie."
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: This is why I love Salman Rushdie. Reply with quote

Butts McCracken wrote:
Salman Rushdie on Bill Maher last year. He is so switched on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1lZnXUe0qY

Could you just give a summary for me?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 234
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Old School wrote:
So did you discuss Rushdie with your muzzie friends over the Christmas Goose?

Are you a christian or are you still a healthy shamanistic native? :)

I'm an agnostic recovering Christian.

I did have one heck of a religious experience once. It involved a fast combined with a sweat tent and peyote. It was then I discovered my spirit animal companion. It was even later confirmed unknowingly by my wife. She saw it outside our house in an open field. But it really wasn't there. :)
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Prenj wrote:
Old School wrote:
So did you discuss Rushdie with your muzzie friends over the Christmas Goose?

Are you a christian or are you still a healthy shamanistic native? :)

I'm an agnostic recovering Christian.

I did have one heck of a religious experience once. It involved a fast combined with a sweat tent and peyote. It was then I discovered my spirit animal companion. It was even later confirmed unknowingly by my wife. She saw it outside our house in an open field. But it really wasn't there. :)

Heh cool :)
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3313

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: This is why I love Salman Rushdie. Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Butts McCracken wrote:
Salman Rushdie on Bill Maher last year. He is so switched on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1lZnXUe0qY

Could you just give a summary for me?
9/11 liberals, not all religions are the same, people should stop apologising for Islam.

Basically your kind of 3 min video
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So-called "9/11 Liberals" are bunch of sheltered, herd-following Betas. The only way anybody could be shocked by 9/11 and have their world-view radically changed by it (for example, a moral re-evaluation of religions) is if they didn't understand the real world in which they live to begin with. Think about it.

No, really: read that sentence again and think about it.

These so-called "9/11 Liberals" are not "bad" people, per se, but they should not be allowed to vote or do anything that affects the lives of others (for example, be parents, teachers, public servants, etc.), and they certainly should not be allowed to flap their lips on television where they can spread their ignorance and distorted views to others.

Just because they now realize they were wrong about that one particular thing doesn't mean they have become wise, and it doesn't mean they understand that they are ignorant in very important ways and should therefore shut the fuck up. It is incumbent upon others make sure they learn the appropriate lesson from the experience and alter their behavior accordingly.

That said, they are better than the knee-jerking, brainwashed True Believers leading the herd they had been following. At least they have begun to question, and that is the seed from which wisdom sprouts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aCOSwt
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Oct 2007
Posts: 2375
Location: Hilbert space

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
they have begun to question, and that is the seed from which wisdom sprouts.

8)
I know now that I have not posted 2000+ messages in vain !
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3313

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
So-called "9/11 Liberals" are bunch of sheltered, herd-following Betas. The only way anybody could be shocked by 9/11 and have their world-view radically changed by it (for example, a moral re-evaluation of religions) is if they didn't understand the real world in which they live to begin with. Think about it.

No, really: read that sentence again and think about it.

These so-called "9/11 Liberals" are not "bad" people, per se, but they should not be allowed to vote or do anything that affects the lives of others (for example, be parents, teachers, public servants, etc.), and they certainly should not be allowed to flap their lips on television where they can spread their ignorance and distorted views to others.

Just because they now realize they were wrong about that one particular thing doesn't mean they have become wise, and it doesn't mean they understand that they are ignorant in very important ways and should therefore shut the fuck up. It is incumbent upon others make sure they learn the appropriate lesson from the experience and alter their behavior accordingly.

That said, they are better than the knee-jerking, brainwashed True Believers leading the herd they had been following. At least they have begun to question, and that is the seed from which wisdom sprouts.
Although I agree with most of what you are saying I disagree with this:
Quote:
Just because they now realize they were wrong about that one particular thing doesn't mean they have become wise, and it doesn't mean they understand that they are ignorant in very important ways and should therefore shut the fuck up
Surely anyone would be MORE stupid to make the same mistakes, not re-evaluate and expect a different results?
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3313

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
they have begun to question, and that is the seed from which wisdom sprouts.

8)
I know now that I have not posted 2000+ messages in vain !
yeah but you lost your cool avatar :P
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1553
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butts McCracken wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
So-called "9/11 Liberals" are bunch of sheltered, herd-following Betas. The only way anybody could be shocked by 9/11 and have their world-view radically changed by it (for example, a moral re-evaluation of religions) is if they didn't understand the real world in which they live to begin with. Think about it.

No, really: read that sentence again and think about it.

These so-called "9/11 Liberals" are not "bad" people, per se, but they should not be allowed to vote or do anything that affects the lives of others (for example, be parents, teachers, public servants, etc.), and they certainly should not be allowed to flap their lips on television where they can spread their ignorance and distorted views to others.

Just because they now realize they were wrong about that one particular thing doesn't mean they have become wise, and it doesn't mean they understand that they are ignorant in very important ways and should therefore shut the fuck up. It is incumbent upon others make sure they learn the appropriate lesson from the experience and alter their behavior accordingly.

That said, they are better than the knee-jerking, brainwashed True Believers leading the herd they had been following. At least they have begun to question, and that is the seed from which wisdom sprouts.
Although I agree with most of what you are saying I disagree with this:
Quote:
Just because they now realize they were wrong about that one particular thing doesn't mean they have become wise, and it doesn't mean they understand that they are ignorant in very important ways and should therefore shut the fuck up
Surely anyone would be MORE stupid to make the same mistakes, not re-evaluate and expect a different results?

I have no idea what you are trying to say, but I'm not sure it's worth your effort to explain yourself, so I won't ask.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Posts: 3313

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Butts McCracken wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
So-called "9/11 Liberals" are bunch of sheltered, herd-following Betas. The only way anybody could be shocked by 9/11 and have their world-view radically changed by it (for example, a moral re-evaluation of religions) is if they didn't understand the real world in which they live to begin with. Think about it.

No, really: read that sentence again and think about it.

These so-called "9/11 Liberals" are not "bad" people, per se, but they should not be allowed to vote or do anything that affects the lives of others (for example, be parents, teachers, public servants, etc.), and they certainly should not be allowed to flap their lips on television where they can spread their ignorance and distorted views to others.

Just because they now realize they were wrong about that one particular thing doesn't mean they have become wise, and it doesn't mean they understand that they are ignorant in very important ways and should therefore shut the fuck up. It is incumbent upon others make sure they learn the appropriate lesson from the experience and alter their behavior accordingly.

That said, they are better than the knee-jerking, brainwashed True Believers leading the herd they had been following. At least they have begun to question, and that is the seed from which wisdom sprouts.
Although I agree with most of what you are saying I disagree with this:
Quote:
Just because they now realize they were wrong about that one particular thing doesn't mean they have become wise, and it doesn't mean they understand that they are ignorant in very important ways and should therefore shut the fuck up
Surely anyone would be MORE stupid to make the same mistakes, not re-evaluate and expect a different results?

I have no idea what you are trying to say, but I'm not sure it's worth your effort to explain yourself, so I won't ask.
k
_________________
Since the bible and the church are obviously mistaken about where we came from, how can we trust them with where we're going?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum