football leagues have tournaments
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malala
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: football leagues have tournaments Reply with quote

What football leagues have tournaments/playoffs? There are too many leagues to understand for me. Living in the U.S. I usually get two leagues: MLS which has a knockout tournament, and the Premier League, which doesn't. I'm watching a cup final now between Bayern and Stuggart for Bunasliga 1 and Bundasliga 2 (I forgot the cup name, sorry) and I was wondering if there are any other leagues with a tournament/playoff system at the end of the season. Does Bundasliga have one?

This is a copybot. Original text taken from http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130601121818AAc2Khc

Leaving this here since a discussion has started. But don't expect this poster to reply, as their only reason to come here is to lay a bed for future spam.
Stephen_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the English leagues (Premier league and below)

FA cup, any team can enter this, so a team like Manchester United could play you're own pub team if you can get past all the preliminary rounds. Top two leagues teams enter at round 3. Apart from winning a trophy, the winners qualify for Europa league (2013 Winners Wigan Athletic)
League cup all footballing league teams enter (all the leagues I've listed below), top league enter in round 2. Apart from winning a trophy winners qualify for Europa league (2013 Winners Swansea City)

Premier league
20 teams, top 4 teams go into the Champions league next season
5th placed team goes into the Europa League
6th and 7th can go into the Europa league IF the Winners and runners up of the FA cup and league cup winners are won by teams finishing 1st-5th as they already qualified.
Bottom 3 teams are relegated.

There are no play offs but the final day of the season is sort of a play off, in that there are usually so many things to be decided such as qualification for Europe and which teams are to be relegated.

Championship
24 teams, Top 2 teams get promoted to the Premier league
Next 4 teams go into the play offs, winner of the play offs gets promoted to the Premier league. There is no single sporting event in the world more valuable to the winners, the promotion is worth about £60million!
Bottom 3 relegated to league one.

League One
24 teams, Top 2 teams get promoted to the Championship
Next 4 teams go into the play offs, winner of the play offs gets promoted to the Championship.
Bottom 4 relegated to league two.

League Two
24 teams, Top 3 teams get promoted to League one
Next 4 teams go into the play offs, winner of the play offs gets promoted to the League one.
Bottom 2 relegated to the Conference premier league.

Same sort of deal for all the other non footballing leagues.

In other countries, I think Germany is one. There is a play off game between the team that finishes 16th of the 18 teams in the top league and the team that finishes 3rd in the Bundesliga 2.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of leagues around the world operate a promotion/relegation system. Just like in business, you do well and you get promoted. Franchising is not a good way to run a sport.

Anyway the above info from Stephen_ is all correct, wikipedia has some extra info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotion_and_relegation

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: football leagues have tournaments Reply with quote

malala wrote:
What football leagues have tournaments/playoffs? There are too many leagues to understand for me. Living in the U.S. I usually get two leagues: MLS which has a knockout tournament, and the Premier League, which doesn't. I'm watching a cup final now between Bayern and Stuggart for Bunasliga 1 and Bundasliga 2 (I forgot the cup name, sorry) and I was wondering if there are any other leagues with a tournament/playoff system at the end of the season. Does Bundasliga have one?

no

because that is a stupid system. 'Playoffs' are retarded. Why have a league, if everything happening there is worthless?

And the cup you were watching is called DFB-Pokal.

1. Bundesliga
2. Bundesliga
3. Bundesliga (some)
and
Amateurs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DFB-Pokal

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/

that is handegg.

We were talking about football. Different sport altogether.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Akkara
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note addendum added to OP's post.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akkara wrote:
Please note addendum added to OP's post.

:lol:

Thank you, as always, for your diligence.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what was the purpose of this copybot. What action is it meant to produce? Maybe it's made by god to get the world discussing?

Maybe this should be split off? You can bin the old thread and we can talk about copybots and their new existential existence! (Use that as the title)

energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butts McCracken wrote:
So what was the purpose of this copybot. What action is it meant to produce? Maybe it's made by god to get the world discussing?

Maybe this should be split off? You can bin the old thread and we can talk about copybots and their new existential existence! (Use that as the title)

the purpose? to build up an appearance of a real human poster, so when it floods the forum with spam more people might fall for it.

You would have.

Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Butts McCracken wrote:

the purpose? to build up an appearance of a real human poster, so when it floods the forum with spam more people might fall for it.

You would have.
why would I fall for someone spamming with 0 posts? 500 maybe

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: