Best gui for Gentoo distro
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knspradeep
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Best gui for Gentoo distro Reply with quote

Hello Everyone
Do we have any best gui for gentoo distro in genral i am little bit addicted to Ubuntu and windows after seeing gentoo performance migrated to my desktop to gentoo and now currently i am using gentoo os with kde gui.
Very frequently i observed kdeinit4 using 100% cpu i dont know why this has been happening.
can one tell me and which gui is the best and handy one to use on gentoo distro......
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a personal choice.

There are several desctop environments. it depends on your requirements and your working style.

I want a plain lean environment. i3wm.

Some use gnome 3 / gnome 2 which is now maintained as mate-desctop.

some like razorqt
some like xvwm
and some like enlightment.

You can install sveral desctop environments and switch with your login manager. e.g kdm / gdm / slim / to name a few.

With your comment about your process using 100 percent of cpu, it looks like a bug which you should report. first thing is to check for a newer version. gentoo bugzilla is a starting point for such things
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any such thing exists. Lxde, xfce, and kde are good for 'windows like' experiences, but a great GUI is extremely dependent on what the user wants.

I use i3 because it does all the window management stuff for me, like tiling windows side by side, and thereby increasing my productivity. From this perspective, I would definitely say i3 is the best wm for me, but everyone is different. That is why debian comes with something like 53.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not use Nepomuk Akonadi Soprano or Strigi which i suspect is your problem.
Here are your usual KDE suspects for 100% cpu:
Code:
ps -A | grep strigi

Code:
ps -A | grep akonadi

Code:
equery depends app-misc/strigi kde-base/nepomuk dev-libs/soprano kde-base/akonadi

Code:
emerge -aC kde-base/nepomuk dev-libs/soprano kde-base/akonadi

(kdelibs depends on strigi.)
For me my current setup is no desktop environment:
I use openbox with tint2, networkmanager, sys-fs/udisks-glue, xfce-extra/xfce4-power-manager throw in app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools for scripts when I am running X on a decent laptop.
That takes care of a dock/ panel / clock, window management, a menu, networking and automounting removable media.

I do not find I use a graffical file manager after all so I dont have one.
I use rm cp mv scp and find in a terminal.
Code:
find ~/. -iname '*somefile*'
to find the occasional misplaced file.

On hardware with less than 1Ghz and 1G of ram I run JWM, wicd, sys-fs/udisks-glue and give it a KDE look and run kde apps.
Happy new year.
Angrychile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone sort of said if not implicitly is that there is no "best gui for Gentoo" as Gentoo is about choice, not a particular setup or set of tools other than portage, much less a Desktop Environment. Any DE that can compile on Gentoo is a DE for Gentoo; You can use whatever you want--however, if you want performance with what you've got, it might be up to you to fix it to that point of high performance you desire, if it isn't after the emerge. Typically, Gentoo devs strive for the best sane defaults, but since YMMV, whatever hardware you have might not mesh with those defaults (or even the whole software package), so you might have to fix things (uninstall crap pulled in by a meta you don't want and need, for example) yourself.

As turtles said, those four things, Nepomuk and Strigi in particular, are known to make KDE slow, and unless you want file-indexing, disabling/uninstalling them helps. Then again, if you make Nepomuk only scan places that makes sense (like /home/<youruser>), then it isn't too bad once it's done with the first scan...just make it scan at night, perhaps...at least that's what I did with it when I used kde years ago.

So how you improve your performance is really up to you at this point. Hell, you can try to install unity itself if you really like Ubuntu. That link is about a year old, so I'm not sure how reliable Unity is on Gentoo at this point.

Postscript: I said "it's up to you" but the Gentoo forums and irc are here to help you out ;)
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kde with all settings on like nepomuk and stringi take quite a lot of resources, but if you have them its no longer noticeable.
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use xfce4 + compiz.... its mac like and very lightweight compared to kde. my laptops got 3 gigs of ram and kde would be crawling on here. i get pretty visual effects and so on... you can move the taskbar to bottom if you use default settings to make it doze like.... or get a dock going.....

it is a personal choice... this is gentoo your window manager can be the terminal if you so choose.i think "twm" is the default WM for xorg x11 and its just xterms and xclock..... not much else
knspradeep
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for one and all thanks for your reply it will helps me a lot.......................... :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: