Stickies - old
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentooP4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Stickies - old Reply with quote

Hello,

One thing about the forum is a lot of the stickied topics are very old and could probably do with dropping off. For example in Desktop Environments we still have the sticky thread from 2008 for negoiating the upgrade to release 4 of KDE.

Thanks

If you voted for Trump or Brexit, you were likely influenced by the Cambridge Analytica propaganda machine.
zeek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post the same thing but did a quick search and found this.

Please do some maintenance on sticky threads. In the networking forum the newest sticky was last posted in 2010 (and is about a source code compromise that didn't even affect Gentoo, completely pointless).
Navar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1. As stated prior, many existing are completely irrelevant to today, particularly Gnome DE.

If anything, a disorganized-giant-massive sticky thread for systemd related issues seems appropriate. At least very appropriate in the systemd monolithic Borg hive collective way of things. ;)

Although a separate forum where a certain few systemd cheerleaders could moderate (as proposed later here) may organize things better.

Or just a locked sticky pointing to the gentoo-systemd fanbase wiki... wiki's are fantastic when you don't want discourse from your user community...

A sticky thread with comments from gnome herd ebuild maintainers regarding decisions:
  • to slot conflict Gnome2/Gnome3, thereby forcing an either only 'choice'
  • not establishing (R)DEPEND version ranges in Gnome2 related ebuilds in 2011 to now (Gnome 3 entry range), forcing either continuous masking headaches (sometimes guessing, e.g. vala*) for the end user, Gnome3/systemd migration via keyword change, or abandonment of Gnome and eventually anything freedesktop.org affiliated
  • making gnome 3.8 the more dramatic forced starting point than <= 3.6, thereby forcing systemd-logind requirement which was not treated as a trivial matter 6 months ago
  • not simply providing an effective (meaning maintained) mask list anywhere for Gnome2 users over time (the quick diff example from Pacho's blog comments does not work)
  • why the user base was never consulted on decisions made
  • timelines for gtk+2 and all gnome2 related removal

Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Very good post Navar. It might solve the increasing threads about systemd/gnome-3.8 upgrades and problems.

Edit to add: Not trying to start yet another systemd flamewar but I think the suggestions were good.

Edit to add 2: I'm especially interested in
Quote:
timelines for gtk+2 and all gnome2 related removal

I don't use gnome-2 but I imagine it might be helpful to those still using it or gtk+2 for other things (like xfce)
or misc packages.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for unsticking old threads. Just to keep the forum looking well maintained if nothing else.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. desultory has made a start. We'll get 'em cleaned up.

Thanks for the ping. :)

- John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: