Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Moving from udev (171-r10) to eudev (1.2-r1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveL
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
While writing this I just realized that that frontend machine doesn't have any 70-persistent-net.rules file (and apparently never has), while this machine (and my others) do. I'm guessing that may be related, but why would reverting back to udev not correct it?

EDIT: OK...I'm sure this is related:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=453494

...for the love of all that is holy...reading that made me want to cry. I see that that specifically relates to drivers compiled directly into the kernel, which is what I have. However I only have one device. Can someone explain how the above bug affects me in something less than a million words? For one thing, how is it that even with no 70-persistent-net.rules and udev at version 208, I've been reliably getting a name of eth0...that bug doesn't seem to imply that that would work. I don't actually even understand if 70-persistent-net.rules even works any more..seriously confused.

I don't think it does, and if it does then you have to rename to a non-eth* or wlan* name. I went the route of:
Code:
echo '# dummy empty file to keep eth* and wlan*' > /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules

which you didn't mention; that should get udev to leave network names as the kernel assigned them, and like you I only have the one ethernet card. (I find the whole thing really messed up, considering that it's supposed to be for desktop end-users, and I've never seen one with more than one ethernet, and one wifi card, so I'm left wondering who this really helps.)
tld
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:

I don't think it does, and if it does then you have to rename to a non-eth* or wlan* name. I went the route of:
Code:
echo '# dummy empty file to keep eth* and wlan*' > /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules

which you didn't mention; that should get udev to leave network names as the kernel assigned them, and like you I only have the one ethernet card. (I find the whole thing really messed up, considering that it's supposed to be for desktop end-users, and I've never seen one with more than one ethernet, and one wifi card, so I'm left wondering who this really helps.)

Thanks for the reply! I'll probably go that route myself, but as per my last reply here I'm still going nuts trying to understand what's been keeping my machines from using the new "predictable" names in the first place!...it has me absolutely stumped, and I'm leery of trying to "fix' this when, based on everything I've read, all my machines should have switched to the new names...so there's clearly something I'm not understanding here. The wiki says that the new names will be used unless one of these is met:

/etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules is an empty file with only comments inside of it
/etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules is a symlink to /dev/null
the kernel commandline contains net.ifnames=0

NONE of the above are true for ANY of my machines. The only difference I can see is that the one I had issues with when moving to eudev is the only one I have that didn't have 70-persistent-net.rules. The others have 70-persistent-net.rules specifically set up to use "eth0" which is NOT supposed to work. Just now out of curiosity I tried rebooting this machine without 70-persistent-net.rules. To make me even more confused, 70-persistent-net.rules got automatically created, all set up to use eth0! I think this is being caused by the fact that eudev apparently has installed /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules, which is not in the current version of udev...This all has me ready to f****** cry. The more I dig the less sense any of it makes.

Yea, this whole thing is really messed up. I wish someone could clear me up on this one...

Tom
steveL
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
I wish someone could clear me up on this one...

Try #gentoo-udev on IRC: chat.freenode.net for help with eudev.
tld
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I may do that...especially if I have any issue with the 80-net-name-slot.rules approach.

Tom
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also did

/etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules is a symlink to /dev/null

immediately I heard about this persistent name adventure ( totally unneeded for my setup)
krinn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed.
dmpogo wrote:
immediately I heard about this persistent name adventure ( totally unneeded for anyone)
Checko55
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I followed your steps and everything compiled without issues.
Unfortunately when I start KDE (kdm) no keyboard or mouse is present and I cannot login.

Could you please give me a hint what may be missing?

thx
steveL
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checko55: That's hard to know: it may be evdev, it may be x11 drivers. Your best bet is to ask in #gentoo-udev on IRC: chat.freenode.net; you can do that from a minimal livedisk(irssi), a livedvd for GUI, or a livedisk from any distro, if you don't have another install. I'd actually ask #gentoo first (or start another thread), as this sounds like a basic installation issue.

I have this in /etc/portage/make.conf:
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="vesa nvidia"
INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"

AFAIK you just need evdev, but if it doesn't work for w/e reason the old ones come in handy.

Also try logging in without X. When xdm starts, hit ctrl-alt-F1 to get to console, and then (as root) run /etc/init.d/xdm stop and rc-update del xdm default (so subsequent boot goes straight to console.)

If you can't use the keyboard at all, when you boot, edit the grub line and add init=/bin/bash. That will get you to a rescue shell (ignore warnings about terminal), but you'll need to remount root read-write in order to run rc-update del xdm default and then shutdown -r now. If shutdown doesn't reboot the machine, then remount it read-only before you use the reset switch.
Checko55
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

I have evdev activated in make.conf and system compiled without any problem. Actually tried to
switch back to "legacy" udev and it worked.
Do I have to create any rules or something maybe?

regards
Tractor Girl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Checko55
This is probably irrelevant but, did you add udev-postmount to default runlevel?
Checko55
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes it is started by default.
steveL
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checko: #gentoo-udev; sorry I'm not on eudev yet, will make switch after I get kernel and --toolchain updated. That's where the developers of the actual software are, as it's an in-house project. ryao is very capable and so's blueness. (not sure who else is involved right now.) They're also very helpful, from what I've seen. They'd probably appreciate being able to fix your issue, as others may hit the same thing.

Instructions here

I could login in again, get in touch with the channel and ask them to check in: but then you'd be missing out on the much wider world of the community on IRC: over 50,000 channels last time I checked with about 100,000 people. Yes there's many that are small, dead or even private, but there are an awful lot more where you can ask questions live, and get live support much better than any commercial setup. #gentoo always has over 900 people in (pure support), and #gentoo-chat about 150 (off-topic relaxation, still polite. Sometimes a lot firmer than other gentoo channels, but fun :-)

Just show you've tried things as you have, don't talk too much til you know your way round, and you'll be fine. I'm in #friendly-coders when I'm online: /join #channel and have fun! If you want to find channels about something use, eg:
Code:
/msg alis list gentoo-*
/msg alis list *apache*
/msg alis list * -topic *something*
-- I defy you not to find something you're interested in (besides Gentoo!)

Regards
igli.

PS Don't go into a channel that logs publically; half the point of IRC is that it's a safe space to explore in, and the flipside of that is privacy, at least not to release logs unless necessary, eg for a problem that needs to be resolved with staff; don't worry, rare, though you do get some unfriendly people. If someone is treating you disrespectfully or offensively, just type:
Code:
/ignore fool
fool: *plunk*
So they know you can't hear them any more (I wish real-life were so easy..:) /unignore fool, to hear them again, but leave it for at least a few days if you've had to ignore someone, for things to cool down a bit, and life to get in the way. ('fool' being the irc nick you wish no longer to hear from, as I am 'igli'.)
Have a read of the catalyst page which is what operators, and indeed all of us, are supposed to be doing. Good luck!
Checko55
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SteveL,

thanks for your help and the instructions. Will definitely try that.

Best regards
Checko55
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: